Sponsored by:

[Z06] 2 X-Pipe Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 11:18 AM
DBOTHEBOSS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2 X-Pipe Questions

I have decided to put off doing LTs for the time being (please dont respond with do headers instead) and installing a cat-back and x-pipe. Two questions:

I know installing the x-pipe requires cutting and welding etc. My question is how easy is it to then return back to stock? Am I going to have to purchase an H-pipe? That would deter me from bothering with the x-pipe and just deal with popping on decel - not the end of the world to me.

Also, I am a firm believe that a pipe is a pipe is a pipe. Will the Borla x-pipe hook up just fine with a corsa pace exhaust? I already have purchased the pace exhaust and would prefer to go with borla x-pipe just because of price but just want to know if anyone knows for sure that this could cause any issues.

As Always,
Thanks a ton,

-Doug
Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 AM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Initially I installed a Bassani "slip fit" X-pipe because it just bolted up. And yes you will have to cut off the H pipe. Im not sure why you would reinstall the H pipe. Other than the popping being eliminated, the X pipe would be good for a few extra ponies as well as giving you a deeper sound depending on the exhaust install.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:55 AM
DBOTHEBOSS
Instructor

Interesting. I will look into that. I suppose If I put the stock TI's back on the x-pipe could remain?

Anway, anyone have a corsa cat back running borla x-pipe that can chime in?

Thanks again,

-Doug
Old 11-20-2012, 01:05 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DARRYLZO6
Initially I installed a Bassani "slip fit" X-pipe because it just bolted up. And yes you will have to cut off the H pipe. Im not sure why you would reinstall the H pipe. Other than the popping being eliminated, the X pipe would be good for a few extra ponies as well as giving you a deeper sound depending on the exhaust install.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:07 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DBOTHEBOSS
Also, I am a firm believe that a pipe is a pipe is a pipe. Will the Borla x-pipe hook up just fine with a corsa pace exhaust? I already have purchased the pace exhaust and would prefer to go with borla x-pipe just because of price but just want to know if anyone knows for sure that this could cause any issues.
Every bolt-on x-pipe is compatible with every bolt-on axle back exhaust.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:14 PM
DBOTHEBOSS
Instructor

Thanks for the help. I got thrown off because I was looking at the Corsa x-pipe on marylandspeed.com and it said that it is only compatible with the corsa cat-backs, which goes against, what you said, but doesnt make any sense.

I'll leave this open for debate but I think I'm ready to order the borla x-pipe today.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:30 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

If your not putting on headers, leave the H-pipe alone. Just get new muffler ( axle back)

changing the H-pipe to an X-pipe will do nothing with out headers and high flow cats.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DARRYLZO6
Besides, Borla and Corsa don't make X pipes. They make a set of mated pipes they call an X pipe and they provide little or no scavaging.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:33 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
If your not putting on headers, leave the H-pipe alone. Just get new muffler ( axle back)

changing the H-pipe to an X-pipe will do nothing with out headers and high flow cats.
I agree, 100%.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Yellow03Z06
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bumble-z
I agree, 100%.
X2

Save the X pipe money for when you do buy headers.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:44 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

I disagree. I had a Borla x-pipe before going to full longtube headers. It smoothed out the exhaust a bit, particularly on deceleration.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:39 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow03Z06
X2

Save the X pipe money for when you do buy headers.
X3

Complete waste of money - do the X-pipe when you get headers
Old 11-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Dennis Wilson
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by skyavonee
I disagree. I had a Borla x-pipe before going to full longtube headers. It smoothed out the exhaust a bit, particularly on deceleration.
Same here. I was told that an X would add a bit of torque as well. Not enough to feel on a SOTP meter though. Def. smoothed out sound though.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:14 PM
anothertoy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you do to the exhaust is really just for sound. The only thing that really makes a difference is LT's. Why don't you just look for a good set of used LT's and go from there?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:27 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Minor sound change.

Going the whole air intake, tb, to LTs, and full exhaust makes a difference.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:30 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Minor sound change.
Exactly. That's all we're saying. So it doesn't do "nothing", and it's not a "complete waste" assuming one's expectations are realistic. I don't think anyone is claiming it adds a boatload of power.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:18 AM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skyavonee
Exactly. That's all we're saying. So it doesn't do "nothing", and it's not a "complete waste" assuming one's expectations are realistic. I don't think anyone is claiming it adds a boatload of power.
Won't add any power but it will eliminate the exhaust "jingle" if you have it. That's the only reason I dumped the H-pipe for an X on my '03. I still have decel popping when the engine is cold.

Get notified of new replies

To 2 X-Pipe Questions

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2 X-Pipe Questions