C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't want to be fast anymore

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by BeastlyC5
'02 Honda CBR-954RR

Bro, the Beretta has been with me for a while. Thanks for the compliments on the house. I just won a nice large settlement(rather not talk about it, it's a bit embarrassing) so I treated myself to some toys. I have some shots of it next to my vette in the garage I can post later when I get home if you don't believe me.
I don't understand why this is so difficult.
just find it difficult that if you have the coin from a large settlement that your gripping about saving what comes out to literally pennies on gas mileage.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:51 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,690 Likes on 1,487 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by STALION
Beastly, no offense but its hard to take this seriously, so let me tell you why....the first pic you posted shows you in front of a decent house in what looks to be a decent neighborhood, you have a nice clean vette with an motorcycle in the background, yet you also have what looks to be a crappy beretta that doesn't look like it has Illinois plates, and it's in what looks to be a "shady" part of town, so I see flaws everywhere. Just find it hard to believe your gripping about gas mileage while living in good place with multiple vehicles....BTW, what kind of bike is that in the garage?
Nice catch! Illinois does require a front plate, so I hope the IHP likes the Army plate on the Beretta. (I think it's great that GM named a car after a 70s detective TV show).

Personally, I think this is the same troll that started the thread about getting jumped in the parking lot while donating used cell phones...
Old 12-10-2012, 12:20 PM
TwinTurboZ51
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if you disconnect your spark plug wires on four cylinders, what will happen is you will flood your exhaust with unburned fuel. The fuel will ignite in the exhaust causing combustion in your exhaust. Your exhaust will start glowing red, including the exhaust manifolds and your catalytic converter will melt, and the heat will start damaging wiring that is around your exhaust manifolds.
This is what happens whe just one coil stops firing your spark plugs. Mutiply it time four it should be a real melt down.
Great plan!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ummm, I have no reason to lie about this. Are you guys serious?
My favorite part is the "really quick pristine Barretta"

Are you Napoleon Dynamite's brother?

Old 12-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Gobot
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95rtturbo
The 2.8L isn't much better:

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ma...etta/1989.html

18 city/29 highway, with a blazing 16.9 1/4 mile time!

Basically exactly the same estimates as the C5 Vette (minus the 1/4 mile time, of course).
Where did you get your numbers because everything I've found isn't even that good! 18city/25hwy is the best I've found for that car. Because of this there is no way, NOOO WAY this is a real post. This whole scenario is much too douchey for me to believe.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by STALION
just find it difficult that if you have the coin from a large settlement that your gripping about saving what comes out to literally pennies on gas mileage.
More dollars than sense.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:26 PM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobot
Where did you get your numbers because everything I've found isn't even that good! 18city/25hwy is the best I've found for that car. Because of this there is no way, NOOO WAY this is a real post. This whole scenario is much too douchey for me to believe.
If you click on the link in my post, it has : Fuel consumption and mileage: official: 18/29 mpg (U.S.), for the "Beastly" 2.8L Beretta.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:28 PM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
My favorite part is the "really quick pristine Barretta"
Yeah that part really had me rolling too - that is just something you don't label a Beretta, even as it came right off the showroom floor.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

It is a sad day on Corvette forum, I can't believe how many people take this guy serious, He just joined up and I would be willing to bet he doesn't even own a Corvette.
There is no way this guy can be serious and you guys took it hook, line and sinker...lol
Mr.Bill

Old 12-10-2012, 12:32 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(

Originally Posted by 95rtturbo
Yeah that part really had me rolling too - that is just something you don't label a Beretta, even as it came right off the showroom floor.
The GPZ Beretta's were pretty cool
Old 12-10-2012, 12:35 PM
esemes
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Got it!!

you have the wrong fuel system on your vette....

(an 01 has no return line).

Maybe someone played a prank on you at the dealer??

Old 12-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey OP where do you live in IL. I will be more than happy to come take a look at your car to see why you are getting bad mpg!

If this is not a joke?

I'm being serious! Let me know!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by esemes
Got it!!

you have the wrong fuel system on your vette....

(an 01 has no return line).

Maybe someone played a prank on you at the dealer??
Nice catch!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:57 PM
BeastlyC5
Intermediate

What does that mean? I didn't buy it from a dealer. I bought it off of someone locally. What's a return line do?
Old 12-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 90 Posts

BeastlyC5,

I have been off the forum a while. Today I got back and came across your thread here and find some of the replies worthy of deletion by the moderator. I am sorry you are left to respond to them.

Now to your question, and my thoughts about taking a cylinder or two off line.

Simply Said.....DON'T do it. This is why.

Any vehicle that was engineered to take cylinders off line for fuel economy is controlled with software and sensors to assure a consistent engine block temperature across the entire block. Different cylinders get turned off and on for even block heating. If a cylinder is permanently shut down, that part of the block will remain cooler than the active cylinders around it. This will set you up for permanent damage, either to the engine block, the engine heads, or both. Damage will come in the form of warpage or cracks in the metal with supporting gaskets unable to do their job right and then failing themselves.

Regular every day vehicles will suffer similar damage if a spark plug or ignition to a particular cylinder has failed and left unchecked for an extended period of time.

If you absolutely insist on experimenting, then I advise the following, and I wish you the best of luck with it.

1) The 2 cylinders selected for shut-down should not be in any of the 4 corners of the engine in hope the dead cylinder in-between two active ones would be kept hot enough to reduce the risk of engine or head warping as compared to a corner cylinder which is thermally isolated.
2) The dead cylinders should not be directly across from eachother for the same thermal reasoning. You want "Even" heat distribution.
3) The firing order should be 3 active - 1 inactive in repetition. I have not studied the C5 engine firing order and cannot confirm this is even possible if shutting down 2 of the 4 inner cylinders diagnally.
4) Shutting down a piston should simply involve removing & insulating the connector to the supporting fuel injector, nothing more than that. Do NOT remove the spark plug because some amount of engine oil will spray out and onto the hot manifold near by. This will cause an engine fire. Also, if you don't unplug the injector, you are not saving any gas. It still sprays the same amount of gas into the combustion chamber, doing nothing more than putting a lot of raw gas into your exhaust system, destroying your catalytic convertor and more.

Understand that your engine monitoring system will light up your dash board, indicating engine trouble. If your state requires emissions testing, you will surely have to put things back to original and clear engine codes before testing.

Again, I highly recommend you don't shut down any cylinders, but if you insist on taking a risk, try to follow my advise.

Well wishes....I hope you don't destroy your Corvette.
Ron

Last edited by Ron Dittmer; 12-10-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

What does that mean? I didn't buy it from a dealer. I bought it off of someone locally. What's a return line do?

It allows you to quickly return the car and get a full refund. Look in to it.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:21 PM
ronsrods222362
Pro

MD Events Coordinator

This is like watching a train wreck. I know I should look away, just can't

Get notified of new replies

To I don't want to be fast anymore

Old 12-10-2012, 01:21 PM
2000BC
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 12-10-2012, 01:28 PM
gotz06?
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ummm, I have no reason to lie about this. Are you guys serious?
Are you serious?
This has to be the dumbs thing I've ever heard!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:39 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

I personally don't think this thread should get banned...if anything it's entertaining as hell, but on a more serious note, taking away a few cylinders reminds me of how Mustang Special vehicle Operations team made the Mustang SVO from 84 to 86. It was an attempt to combine v8 power with fuel consumption of a 4 cylinder. Still one of my fav cars.

Quick Reply: I don't want to be fast anymore