Sponsored by:

Exhaust System Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 09:13 AM
TB1300
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exhaust System Advice

I am looking for advice on changing my exhaust system.

I bought a 2004 convertible a few weeks ago. It had a very loud aftermarket exhaust, but everything else about it was exactly what I was looking for, so I bought it knowing I would most likely want to change the exhaust system.

It has a Magnaflow 15763 exhaust system. A picture of the exhaust system is located here:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/d...rtnumber=15763

It sounds great under heavy throttle above 2500 rpm, but it is just too loud and drones too much for me under all other operating conditions. Loud at idle, loud driving around town, etc. Drone at idle, drone at city speeds, drone on the highway. Plus, I don’t like the dual outlets on the exhaust. I like the looks of quad outlets. Time to change out the exhaust so it is ready to go when the weather warms up.

I am considering changing back to a stock exhaust or to a quieter, touring type of aftermarket exhaust.

QUESTIONS REGARDING CHANGING TO A STOCK EXHAUST
If I go with a stock exhaust, the muffler shop will need to weld up new pipes and flanges onto the catalytic converters to reach back to the flanges on the stock exhaust. Should I keep the X pipe and have it welded in these new pipes in roughly the same location as the stock H crossover? Or should I have a stock H crossover put in? I am thinking I should go with the X pipe.

I am currently only considering a base exhaust over concerns that I will have difficulty finding a muffler shop that can competently weld titanium on a Z06 exhaust. However, if flanges are installed, it could probably just bolt up with no welding. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Some websites I have looked at seem to indicate different part numbers for exhausts from different years. Are all base C5 exhausts the same, or do I need to only look at ’02-’04 stock exhausts? The local muffler shop I intend to use has a stock, used exhaust, but I want to make sure it is not from an incompatible year.

QUESTIONS REGARDING CHANGING TO AN AFTERMARKET EXHAUST
I think something like a Corsa Touring exhaust is about what I am looking for in terms of sound level. I understand it is no longer being made. Assuming I can find one used, or still in stock at a vendor, I have the same questions regarding the X pipe.

Should I keep the X pipe and have it welded in these new pipes in roughly the same location as the stock H crossover? Or should I have a stock H crossover put in?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

In your case I would suggest 03/04 Z06 exhaust system taken off at low mileage. With or without the by-pass on the catbacks. It would be a rare find to locate the by-pass done which is preferred. Survey C5 Parts Forum or do a search.

Sent U a PM on further info.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:26 PM
rjs209
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Exhaust System Advice

Find a take off OEM C5 ZO6 Ti system. Bolts on sounds better than the OEM C5 base system.

Originally Posted by TB1300
I am looking for advice on changing my exhaust system.

I bought a 2004 convertible a few weeks ago. It had a very loud aftermarket exhaust, but everything else about it was exactly what I was looking for, so I bought it knowing I would most likely want to change the exhaust system.

It has a Magnaflow 15763 exhaust system. A picture of the exhaust system is located here:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/d...rtnumber=15763

It sounds great under heavy throttle above 2500 rpm, but it is just too loud and drones too much for me under all other operating conditions. Loud at idle, loud driving around town, etc. Drone at idle, drone at city speeds, drone on the highway. Plus, I don’t like the dual outlets on the exhaust. I like the looks of quad outlets. Time to change out the exhaust so it is ready to go when the weather warms up.

I am considering changing back to a stock exhaust or to a quieter, touring type of aftermarket exhaust.

QUESTIONS REGARDING CHANGING TO A STOCK EXHAUST
If I go with a stock exhaust, the muffler shop will need to weld up new pipes and flanges onto the catalytic converters to reach back to the flanges on the stock exhaust. Should I keep the X pipe and have it welded in these new pipes in roughly the same location as the stock H crossover? Or should I have a stock H crossover put in? I am thinking I should go with the X pipe.

I am currently only considering a base exhaust over concerns that I will have difficulty finding a muffler shop that can competently weld titanium on a Z06 exhaust. However, if flanges are installed, it could probably just bolt up with no welding. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Some websites I have looked at seem to indicate different part numbers for exhausts from different years. Are all base C5 exhausts the same, or do I need to only look at ’02-’04 stock exhausts? The local muffler shop I intend to use has a stock, used exhaust, but I want to make sure it is not from an incompatible year.

QUESTIONS REGARDING CHANGING TO AN AFTERMARKET EXHAUST
I think something like a Corsa Touring exhaust is about what I am looking for in terms of sound level. I understand it is no longer being made. Assuming I can find one used, or still in stock at a vendor, I have the same questions regarding the X pipe.

Should I keep the X pipe and have it welded in these new pipes in roughly the same location as the stock H crossover? Or should I have a stock H crossover put in?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:47 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 310 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Exhaust noise ?

I changed from the stock 2003 exhaust to the "Corsa" 'Pace Car' system. I was going to get the touring system, but it is as quiet as the stock system. It's a cat back system, so it sounds fantastic at idle, but there is NO Drone at any speeds like the open road or turnpike. The faster you got the quieter it gets. I can drive for hours and stop for dinner. Once done come out a fire my 2003 LS1 up and you still have that wonderful Corvette burbling V8 out the back, but once in gear and moving along it soon is quiet again. Great product.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:18 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Suggest Billy Boat Route 66 wwith the X pipe - - breathe easier, good sound, no drone- looks good.

http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/corvette/c5/
Old 01-20-2013, 12:21 AM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Stock Z06 or something like MidAmericas Touring type with an X pipe. should do the trick.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:04 AM
Abnmarine
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through this today. Last month bought the car with Borla straight pipes and it was loud. Then I installed an aftermarket catback and while quieter, it too was loud and droned badly. Today I installed a mint Z06 Ti catback and it is perfect. Actually it is a tad quieter than I expected but no drone and I now can cruise in the city or highway and hold a normal conversation. It still has a nice tone too it when driving aggressive.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:00 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,232 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I am running the Corsa Pace Car on mine and love it. No drone at any speeds, looks great with the quad pro tips, and great sound. Combine the Pace Car system with a good x-pipe or even a stock H-pipe and you should have a great system.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:54 AM
fishbust
Racer

If you do not want the drone, the advice will be Corsa. I took the advice and glad I did.

I went with Corsa Touring. Love it.
Correct it is not being made any longer but they are still out there new in box. Got my best price for the Touring model, axle back for 1224.99 delivered from an auction site. He still has 9 more sets as of today.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:56 AM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

A lot of the people posting seem to be ignoring the fact that the system you have is a weld-on system, so it would be somewhat difficult to bolt a stock system back on.

You could try getting just an axle back system that has mufflers and it would quiet it down. I have no idea how it would sound, but its a cheap solution. Heck you could even put the axle back part of a stock system, and you'd have a very quiet system, and still retain the X-pipe.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:10 AM
tentuna
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

When I changed from a stock exhaust on my 04 to a Z06 exhaust I noticed a difference in the exhaust note, the steel system appeared to be louder, but the Z06 had more of a note at idle and lower RPM's. Totally satisfied and dropped 20lbs.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 AM
avettelovertu
Burning Brakes

Female here, so ignore my ignorance. From the x pipe back, isn't it just bolted on?

I recently put on Corsa Pace Car and absolutely love it. I left the h-pipe, and it does "burble" a little bit, but I love the sound. It sounds fabulous at idle, and when you get going, there is absolutely no drone. I'm sold on this exhaust.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:57 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I too am running the Corsa Pace Car (Indy's).. somewhat tame @ idle, NO drone whatsoever in the cabin... However, the majority of my fellow Corvette brethern tell me at WOT or as i am running by them that mine is the loudest ( in a good way) that they have ever heard... Several of them are running GHL, Borla, or other Corsa cat backs.

Now, i am running the LG Super Pro headers, X pipe... NO cats with the G5XX cam... Perhaps that is what makes it scream...

Ditch the Magnaflow... those are for trucks! Get yourself the Corsa,GHL... That is my .02 FWIW...

Originally Posted by killain
I changed from the stock 2003 exhaust to the "Corsa" 'Pace Car' system. I was going to get the touring system, but it is as quiet as the stock system. It's a cat back system, so it sounds fantastic at idle, but there is NO Drone at any speeds like the open road or turnpike. The faster you got the quieter it gets. I can drive for hours and stop for dinner. Once done come out a fire my 2003 LS1 up and you still have that wonderful Corvette burbling V8 out the back, but once in gear and moving along it soon is quiet again. Great product.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:42 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I am running the Corsa Pace Car on mine and love it. No drone at any speeds, looks great with the quad pro tips, and great sound. Combine the Pace Car system with a good x-pipe or even a stock H-pipe and you should have a great system.
I couldn't say it any better. This is the system that you're looking for!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

Corsa Pace on my '01 was everything the others have said about it.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:31 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 237 Likes on 108 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by avettelovertu
Female here, so ignore my ignorance. ....
I never knew the two were mutually exclusive??!? I've known some VERY smart women! Ever consider a self confidence class?

Mine's stock and I'm keeping it. My last one had Flowmaster 50s and I just want a nice growl this time. Not really worried about gaining more power so I think I go with it as designed.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:08 PM
avettelovertu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by calvins
I never knew the two were mutually exclusive??!? I've known some VERY smart women! Ever consider a self confidence class?
I'm not EVEN going to go there! I find most people learn the most by keeping their mouth shut.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:22 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Corsa Pace car is a great compromise between rumble and quiet. I love mine!

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust System Advice

Quick Reply: Exhaust System Advice