Sponsored by:

New stereo deck, pics and suggestions needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 12:56 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New stereo deck, pics and suggestions needed

I have not done any looking into this and have no idea where to start. I know nothing about audio related things. All I know is that I always hatted the CD changer, and it actually stopped working a while back, so I can finally get a new setup.
I want a nice system. I was thinking a nav or touch screen like I hear about people doing, but I dont know much about them. I like to be able to manually take a CD in and out like any normal car I have ever owned. And I want an auxiliary port for an Ipod etc.
So fill me in on the bad-a$$ systems and maybe even let me see some pics! What units fit nicely into the area of the stock system and like its meant to be there! All I have is radio now and its killing me!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,255 Likes on 1,674 Posts

contact forum vendor dennis @ doubledmods and he will sell you the complete setup from the stereo to the speakers to the amps to the bezel mods.

everyone who deals with him loves what he does.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:19 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by jdmvette
contact forum vendor dennis @ doubledmods and he will sell you the complete setup from the stereo to the speakers to the amps to the bezel mods.

everyone who deals with him loves what he does.
You wouldn't be disappointed
Old 01-26-2013, 06:24 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Thanks Guys

Just give me a call or email and we can help you put together something that fits all your needs!
Here is a link to some pics on our gallery page as well
http://www.doubledmods.com/Gallery.php
I will be around shop today as well painting bezels
608 56 3011

Thanks
Dennis
Old 01-26-2013, 11:30 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Ok, busy today, but Ill call when I have time during next week. Looking at the pics, I think the touch screens look funny in the C5, but great in the C6, and its because the A/C control unit underneath goes well with it. Id like to upgrade to a C6 or aftermarket A/C deck too if I can. I'll ask you about it when I call, but as a heads up, thats the look Im going for.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:27 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by NukeC5
Ok, busy today, but Ill call when I have time during next week. Looking at the pics, I think the touch screens look funny in the C5, but great in the C6, and its because the A/C control unit underneath goes well with it. Id like to upgrade to a C6 or aftermarket A/C deck too if I can. I'll ask you about it when I call, but as a heads up, thats the look Im going for.
not possible to put a C6 radio into a C5
Old 01-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
not possible to put a C6 radio into a C5
Hey Dennis, I have a Vert and concerned with the display on most radios in the direct sunlight. Are there some radios that have a brighter display than others?

Also when you mod up the counsel, is the opening for the radio a standard size, or are some radios a little bigger / smaller than others?
Old 01-26-2013, 01:50 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
Hey Dennis, I have a Vert and concerned with the display on most radios in the direct sunlight. Are there some radios that have a brighter display than others?

Also when you mod up the counsel, is the opening for the radio a standard size, or are some radios a little bigger / smaller than others?
not really
only thing to really do is put in something like the Kenwood 890 or 990 which have a negative tilt screen option to help with the glare
Old 01-26-2013, 05:47 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Got done early and just tried to call, but maybe to late for today.

I was saying Id like to do a C6 climate control unit along with a new stereo deck. I think a new deck looks weird with the stock C5 climate control unit underneath. The C6's looks very sleek and goes well with an aftermarket stereo. Is there a way to hook up a C6's climate control unit to the C5? I may need to start another thread for that question..
Old 01-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Got done early and just tried to call, but maybe to late for today.

I was saying Id like to do a C6 climate control unit along with a new stereo deck. I think a new deck looks weird with the stock C5 climate control unit underneath. The C6's looks very sleek and goes well with an aftermarket stereo. Is there a way to hook up a C6's climate control unit to the C5? I may need to start another thread for that question..
C6 climate and stereo will never work in a C5, It has been covered before, I myself thinks the C6 dash is very plain, I like the C5 a lot better.
The whole heater and air unit will have to be changed out also, Not worth the trouble.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:05 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Figures.. well I still will be upgrading the stereo. I just wanted to do something about the rest of the 90's technology around it

I was actually hoping for peoples experience with different brands, and what models work in the C5 and fit well. Like say I went to kenwoods site and looked at all the different models, how do you select the right one for the car? Like the eXcelon has two different numbers, but are the same by comparison. And it doesn't even seem to be a CD player, just navigation and video...
Can anyone recommend a good unit that has everything I want the fits in the car nicely? I want Nav, video, Ipod aux, etc. But I want to be able to play my CD's too. Or are CD's basically dead technology now?
Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Figures.. well I still will be upgrading the stereo. I just wanted to do something about the rest of the 90's technology around it

I was actually hoping for peoples experience with different brands, and what models work in the C5 and fit well. Like say I went to kenwoods site and looked at all the different models, how do you select the right one for the car? Like the eXcelon has two different numbers, but are the same by comparison. And it doesn't even seem to be a CD player, just navigation and video...
Can anyone recommend a good unit that has everything I want the fits in the car nicely? I want Nav, video, Ipod aux, etc. But I want to be able to play my CD's too. Or are CD's basically dead technology now?
Juat save yourself time and effort, DDMods is your source.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Can anyone recommend a good unit that has everything I want the fits in the car nicely? I want Nav, video, Ipod aux, etc. But I want to be able to play my CDs too. Or are CD's basically dead technology now?
The Excelon Kenwoods all have a CD DVD player.. with blue tooth and HD radio and Navigation.. Contact Dennis at Double D mods.. he will also turn your factory radio bezel into a factory looking Double din Bezel, not some adapter plate like you get with others..
IM my opinion, I would not trust my car to anyone but Dennis, because he's honest, friendly and extremely knowledgeable.. he will have your back with any question before the sale and even with the install... he is very reachable...and willing to help anyone.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:48 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I bought my system from Dennis at DDMODS and you can't beat his prices and service.
I installed a Pioneer AVIC-X920BT, It has iPod, Nav, DVD, aux. Sat radio, Pandora, Aha and touch screen, Best mod I did to my car.
Mr.Bill

Old 01-27-2013, 01:05 AM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought a DD Mods Bezel and put in a Kenwood 8120 full on DVD CD NAV IPOD and rear view camera and front camera with 3 memphis audio amps 6 speakers and a 10 slim line Memphis sub may not be the loudest but I will say it is the clearist sounding system I have ever heard.

Pops
Old 01-27-2013, 01:23 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

I've got a Pioneer AVH 3300 (I think) I know it's a Pioneer, though. I think it's the best thing about the car! Sorry the pic is so dark. My flash wouldn't work.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,406 Likes on 14,032 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I too would recommend Dennis at Double D Mods - he can set you up with a killer system for your car.

Get notified of new replies

To New stereo deck, pics and suggestions needed

Old 01-27-2013, 10:56 AM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

After much research and wasted hours and effort trying to adapt my iPHONE to the OEM HU with the various "gigs" available, I just ordered the Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS from Crutchfield. Comes with free install kit, antennae adapter and 50% off the bose adapter. Free lifetime tech support, CSR's who answer the phone or chat online immediately, and they allow returns no questions asked within 30 days! Good Luck!

ps; If anyone wants try an iSimple in "their" C5 I still have a brand new unit in the original packaging that does not work in my C5! I cant reasonably offer it for sale since I dont know for sure that it works. I've been told repeatedly that I dont know how to install it! Maybe someone with better skills will have better luck! PM me if interested!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:07 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:08 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

We have the package Pioneer 9500 package too but include the ROEM-VET1 harness, dash kit and antenna adapter with the radio for 259.99
http://shop.doubledmods.com/C5-Corve...?categoryId=-1
PS
DO NOT let Crutchfield sell you the xsvi-2004 or you will have problems with a dead battery one day

Last edited by Double D Mods; 01-27-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: New stereo deck, pics and suggestions needed