Sponsored by:

Mgw shifter issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 03:34 AM
red03vette
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Mgw shifter issue

Finally got my Vette out of winter storage the other day, so I went for a quick shake down run (replaced both belts and the ac idler and tension pulleys during the off season) and I noticed that its really hard to get her into 5th gear. I don't have a lot of miles on my shifter so it's pretty tight, but 1st through 4th is real nice, then shift to 5th and its a real bear. Kinda tweaked my shoulder having to push it so hard. This can't be normal? Once in 5th, 6th is not bad, it's just getting it into 5th first that sucks. Am I missing something? Is it my shifter, or trans? Linkage? Anyone else notice this with their MGW shifter?
Old 05-06-2013, 08:19 AM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most after market shifters notorious for this. My MGW was like that too. I was consistently missing the 5th gear shift and pulled away in 3rd when I thought I was in 1st.

The fix is the anti-venom mod. Do a search for member "Toque's" how to on this. Costs about $1 and totally solves the problem. Note that you don't have to find the specific washers that Toque recommends. I just went into a local parts store and asked for 3/4" i.d. aluminum or brass washers normally used as gaskets for your oil drain plug. He sold me 2 for $1.

Last edited by 4 KRUSIN; 05-06-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:21 AM
bartsky
Safety Car

Received 339 Likes on 249 Posts

I would say that is pretty normal with most short throw shifters. I find you have to shift out of fourth, then use a lil force over, and up into 5th. I drove a stock 2002 coupe the other day with the stock shifter, and it practically falls into 5th from 4th.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:27 AM
bontrager
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently shifted (no pun intended) to a C6 snap short shifter ( a modified 2012 gm C6 shifter) sold by race specialty designs ,RSD, (not very good follow up service; never answered my e-mails) and like it considerably more than the MGW even with the anti venom mod.

Shifting is easier and just as positive; also no modification is need to your C5 boot. It fits perfectly.

The anti venom mod should help your situation; try it.

Last edited by bontrager; 05-06-2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: more verbage
Old 05-06-2013, 10:10 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I just helped a forum member (CPaxson) install one of these on his C5. There were some intermittent issues of going into the reverse gate. When he took the console back out again, he found that the torx screw on the collar that clamps down on the shift rod was not torqued adequately, causing the shift rod to rotate in the collar. The fix was to loosen this bolt, put the shifter handle vertical, and tighten this bolt - I believe the service manual specified 22 lb/ft. His worked fine after that. BTW, he has the anti-venom mod installed.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:26 AM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 422 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Also see this when the shifter was not "pinned" correctly when it was
installed.

Re-installing it with the front pin down and in neutral may fix the problem
(pull up when done)

Peace
Chip

Old 05-06-2013, 11:22 AM
red03vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 4 KRUSIN
Most after market shifters notorious for this. My MGW was like that too. I was consistently missing the 5th gear shift and pulled away in 3rd when I thought I was in 1st.

The fix is the anti-venom mod. Do a search for member "Toque's" how to on this. Costs about $1 and totally solves the problem. Note that you don't have to find the specific washers that Toque recommends. I just went into a local parts store and asked for 3/4" i.d. aluminum or brass washers normally used as gaskets for your oil drain plug. He sold me 2 for $1.
oops forgot to mention I already did the anti-venom mod, and it did help a lot on the gate stiffness. Do you think maybe i don't have the rod aligned or maybe it's slipped position?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:29 AM
red03vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
I just helped a forum member (CPaxson) install one of these on his C5. There were some intermittent issues of going into the reverse gate. When he took the console back out again, he found that the torx screw on the collar that clamps down on the shift rod was not torqued adequately, causing the shift rod to rotate in the collar. The fix was to loosen this bolt, put the shifter handle vertical, and tighten this bolt - I believe the service manual specified 22 lb/ft. His worked fine after that. BTW, he has the anti-venom mod installed.
Ah ha, some times I get that too! reverse gate is intermittent as well, funny I kinda forgot about that, I think this may be my problem, thanks!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:30 AM
red03vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CCA Corvette Parts
Also see this when the shifter was not "pinned" correctly when it was
installed.

Re-installing it with the front pin down and in neutral may fix the problem
(pull up when done)

Peace
Chip
I'm thinking that the shifter realignment procedure may fix my problem, I will search for it, thanks Chip.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 PM
RockJustBelow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a new MGW back in 2009 and installed it (w/ anti-venom mod). I had the same exact problem. Getting into 5th gear was really difficult and annoying. I sold that after a few months of struggling and went to a 2009 C6 shifter, which was perfect for me.

Back in the beginning of March I started considering an MGW again since there is a new design. I contacted George at MGW and told him my issues with the previous design. Here's his response:

"i would opt to wait a bit longer for our shifter / box combo. it will make the shift effort "almost" stock levels. and with a 33 percent reduction in throw. but our shifter alone is also a little easier to shift but the box really makes the best impact."

So, MGW is working on a new shifter box for their shifter. I was very tempted to wait for this however, I decided to go with an RSD snap shifter (comes with a new box). This is by far the best shifter I've put in my car.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:42 PM
red03vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RockJustBelow
I bought a new MGW back in 2009 and installed it (w/ anti-venom mod). I had the same exact problem. Getting into 5th gear was really difficult and annoying. I sold that after a few months of struggling and went to a 2009 C6 shifter, which was perfect for me.

Back in the beginning of March I started considering an MGW again since there is a new design. I contacted George at MGW and told him my issues with the previous design. Here's his response:

"i would opt to wait a bit longer for our shifter / box combo. it will make the shift effort "almost" stock levels. and with a 33 percent reduction in throw. but our shifter alone is also a little easier to shift but the box really makes the best impact."

So, MGW is working on a new shifter box for their shifter. I was very tempted to wait for this however, I decided to go with an RSD snap shifter (comes with a new box). This is by far the best shifter I've put in my car.

thanks, that RSD shifter looks great. how is it shifting into 5th and 6th? if my shifter fits that new lower shifter box, that may fix my problem for good? not sure... contacting MGW to find out.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:52 PM
RockJustBelow
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by red03vette
thanks, that RSD shifter looks great. how is it shifting into 5th and 6th? if my shifter fits that new lower shifter box, that may fix my problem for good? not sure... contacting MGW to find out.
The RSD snap shifter is a 2010+ C6 shifter (cutdown) w/OEM box. So, if you like the feel of stock then you'll love the snap shifter. There is no problem getting into 5th or reverse. I have a 2003 Z06 so the box alone made a big difference.

Definitely contact MGW to get their thoughts on the new shifter box.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:03 AM
red03vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RockJustBelow
The RSD snap shifter is a 2010+ C6 shifter (cutdown) w/OEM box. So, if you like the feel of stock then you'll love the snap shifter. There is no problem getting into 5th or reverse. I have a 2003 Z06 so the box alone made a big difference.

Definitely contact MGW to get their thoughts on the new shifter box.

that looks great, is that the factory shift boot? i heard from MGW, looks like the shifter i have will "not" fit the new shift box, bummer. so i will have to purchase a new shifter with the new box. but good news is they will give me a credit toward the new one. so looks like i am gonna try the shifter adjustment before i do anything else, and see how that goes. if i still have problems will have to look at making some changes i guess.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:31 AM
RockJustBelow
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by red03vette
that looks great, is that the factory shift boot? i heard from MGW, looks like the shifter i have will "not" fit the new shift box, bummer. so i will have to purchase a new shifter with the new box. but good news is they will give me a credit toward the new one. so looks like i am gonna try the shifter adjustment before i do anything else, and see how that goes. if i still have problems will have to look at making some changes i guess.
Thanks. I have an aftermarket short shifter leather boot.

Another option is sell your MGW, they go pretty quickly here on the forum.

GL
Old 05-09-2013, 11:14 PM
red03vette
Burning Brakes

Update: well I had some spare time today so I took apart the console/dash and had a look at my shifter alignment. It appears as though the bolt holding the linkage to the shaft on the box had come loose. I do not think I torqued it down when I installed the shifter originally, oops. I followed the shifter/box alignment procedure to the letter (also using the bright flashlight to make sure the cutout in the shaft was properly lined up) torqued her all up and I must say shifting is a whole lot better! 1st through 4th is now awesome (always had some issue with shifting even with the stock piece) and now 5th is much much better almost no problem, and 6th is smooth. Yay! something I must mention though, while setting up the shifter is I noticed that there is some play in the stock housing bushings, the bushings that hold the shifter shaft, (I'm using a C5 Z06 shifter box) now I see why MGW recommends using a new factory box when you install the new shifter. That play definitely allows the shaft and linkage to slop around a tiny bit, I hope to one day soon get the MGW lower box upgrade, that should be real nice.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:35 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

I also had problems getting my MGW shifter in 5th gear, it was either hit or miss. so I recently removed it and installed the C6 shifter that came with the C6 gear box that I used when I installed the MGW. All is better now. Will order a new shift boot that will fit on the C6 shift ****.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:01 AM
red03vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c6miller
I also had problems getting my MGW shifter in 5th gear, it was either hit or miss. so I recently removed it and installed the C6 shifter that came with the C6 gear box that I used when I installed the MGW. All is better now. Will order a new shift boot that will fit on the C6 shift ****.
That's interesting, I wonder why that is? I'm sure the new box helps alot as the shaft bushings will have a nice fit, the MGW is a real tight shifter though, from the factory. I guess it's not for everyone, I do notice that it gets a little "looser" with more shifting time. Plan on gettin lots of time this summer! if I have any more trouble with this I may look at trying a modified stock type shifter like the Rsd snap shifter or something similar. but I would like to try the new MGW lower shift box before giving up on it all together.

Get notified of new replies

To Mgw shifter issue

Quick Reply: Mgw shifter issue