Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faded plastic parts solution?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 06:55 AM
cvm
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If the OP is reffering to the "Fender cover"; the outermost trim pc w/ the labels on it, this pc has given me fits since day 1. Apply "X" on, and within given amount of time it's "spotty". Absorbs or repells prod @ diff rate throughout the piece itself. Made sense to me to clean, remove,strip all prior chemicals off said surface b4 apply new whatever prod. Ive gone as agressive to wipe it w/ brakeclean and nothing changes is ability to absorb "product" at an inconsistent spotty rate.

Shutting hood & listening to heads & cam makes it better though.

edit: I've seen random C5 pics that have same issue as me
Old 05-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Ronnie wilkins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turtle Wax "ice" works well and you can get it anywhere. Also so make faded wipers look new again without the hassle of painting them. Does wonders for the paint also.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:48 AM
C5Nate
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Kansas City Area Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11,'13

Originally Posted by cvm
If the OP is reffering to the "Fender cover"; the outermost trim pc w/ the labels on it, this pc has given me fits since day 1. Apply "X" on, and within given amount of time it's "spotty". Absorbs or repells prod @ diff rate throughout the piece itself. Made sense to me to clean, remove,strip all prior chemicals off said surface b4 apply new whatever prod. Ive gone as agressive to wipe it w/ brakeclean and nothing changes is ability to absorb "product" at an inconsistent spotty rate.

Shutting hood & listening to heads & cam makes it better though.

edit: I've seen random C5 pics that have same issue as me

That describes it perfectly.

Originally Posted by Ronnie wilkins
Turtle Wax "ice" works well and you can get it anywhere. Also so make faded wipers look new again without the hassle of painting them. Does wonders for the paint also.

Thanks but tried that at the last show and had the same issue.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:48 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
What I find amazing is that I've been detailing cars for 50 years.. Very few things impress me. Zaino paint protectant impresses me.. as far as this black trim stuff goes. I've tried them all Grotts, aerospace 303, even Zaino stuff, back to black and all types of formulas to prevent UV dullness. and Every one of these products are endorsed by people here on this forum and non of them impress me.. I bought Aerospace 303 for the black trim on my wife's SUV and it looks great when you put it on, just like any other product for this application but get caught in a rain shower and its off the next day. IN fifty years I have not found one product that protects from UV rays and repels water and still stays shiny, and fresh.. Also the myriad of disulfides with silicone out there like armorall, suck all the oils out of the plastic in the cleaning process, making it a silicone junkie.. the more you use it, the more you need to use it. Most of these products actually turn the black trim white..
Nothing at this point last a few weeks or a month. people brag about aerospace 303 and its water based. it might be great on an interior but exterior parts that are exposed to rain or the environment have no real protection using 303.
SHAZAM! I've never driven my car in the rain or washed it. Now I know why the 303 lasts so long on my tires and other rubber trim parts.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:33 PM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 126 Posts

I've used Griot's engine bay dressing, among other things. NOTHING seems to last. They all look good, and in a day or so it fades. I am thinking of trying a product called Restora. It is a vinyl restorer I used on my shutters on my house. Made them look brand new and staying that way for 5 years now. Might give it a shot. In a inconspicuous area first...
Old 05-13-2013, 08:43 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,263 Likes on 822 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Valco--Phase 2
Just came out and it makes plastic look like it was new. Not to
shiny.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:22 AM
Ronnie wilkins
Racer

What I find amazing is that I've been detailing cars for 50 years.. Very few things impress me. Zaino paint protectant impresses me.. as far as this black trim stuff goes. I've tried them all Grotts, aerospace 303, even Zaino stuff, back to black and all types of formulas to prevent UV dullness. and Every one of these products are endorsed by people here on this forum and non of them impress me.. I bought Aerospace 303 for the black trim on my wife's SUV and it looks great when you put it on, just like any other product for this application but get caught in a rain shower and its off the next day. IN fifty years I have not found one product that protects from UV rays and repels water and still stays shiny, and fresh.. Also the myriad of disulfides with silicone out there like armorall, suck all the oils out of the plastic in the cleaning process, making it a silicone junkie.. the more you use it, the more you need to use it. Most of these products actually turn the black trim white..
Nothing at this point last a few weeks or a month. people brag about aerospace 303 and its water based. it might be great on an interior but exterior parts that are exposed to rain or the environment have no real protection using 303.
I tend to agree. Nothing is going to last very long. Guess that's mother nature breaking down the elements . If not for that could you imagine all the junk we would have laying from the last 2000 or so years!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:48 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

Adams In and Out Spray!

Thanks,Matt
Old 05-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,814 Likes on 1,926 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

like I said, there is no magic out there yet members continue to say their product actually works... All these false claims of exceptional products only make people go out and buy them. Like I've said, I've been doing this for 50 years, have listened to many, swearing their product works, but in fact doesn't only leads me to believe so many people are in denial. THERE NOTHING THAT WORKS !... what does work mean? It means you put it on, and it makes the plastic look new and last for months , not hours... is impervious to rain and air born contaminants.. they all claim to do this and many here claim their product does, but in reality it does not , So what does that say about the feedback from members. Every product made for this purpose , looks great when you put it on.. But that's it.. a few days a few hours later its not. put it on and get caught in a rain shower an hour later, and your plastic trim looks worse than if you had never put anything on it.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:22 PM
rpm462
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 05-14-2013, 12:24 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Will it last forever? No

But it will last longer than anything I have tried. Yes, it will last through car washes. How many? More than one.

Spray it on let it sit and then wipe it off.

However that piece you are referring to is the hardest to bring back. I don't think anything will bring it back totally. It's junk.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97

Will it last forever? No

But it will last longer than anything I have tried. Yes, it will last through car washes. How many? More than one.

Spray it on let it sit and then wipe it off.

However that piece you are referring to is the hardest to bring back. I don't think anything will bring it back totally. It's junk.
Look closely at the label, " EXTREMLY FLAMABLE" "Petroleum Distillates" ?? two of the worst things you can put on any plastic part.
Plastic is a by product of petroleum. A petroleum distillate is a disulfide that breaks down the plastics oils. Anything flammable on plastic is a no no.. it cleans the product and adds a shining agent but this is a product that makes your plastic a product junkie.. meaning the more you use it the more you need to use it.. Like I said, Nothing works and in my experienced opinion.. any product that is flammable and has petroleum distillates in would never find its way to any plastic part that I own.

Also I never said , Last forever.. I said a month and there is Nothing !!! NOTHING that last a Month, and there are many products out there that will indeed make your plastic worse than if you never applied anything. Any petro product on plastic is the kiss off death. 303 is a safe product, water based for a reason and also no silicone, also good.... its great for an interior application where contaminants and acidic rain wont touch it.. but like every other product 303 wont work and last on an exterior application.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:49 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 750 Likes on 432 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Plasti-dip?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Also I never said , Last forever.. I said a month and there is Nothing !!! NOTHING that last a Month, and there are many products out there that will indeed make your plastic worse than if you never applied anything. Any petro product on plastic is the kiss off death. 303 is a safe product, water based for a reason and also no silicone, also good.... its great for an interior application where contaminants and acidic rain wont touch it.. but like every other product 303 wont work and last on an exterior application.

I feel like I have tried EVERYTHING over the years on the fender linings - nothing lasts for more than a couple days or so (and usually attracts dust like a magnet). I rarely "wash" my car, but I detail it every day (black paint - it's a career). Quite a market if anyone ever develops something more than vinyl make-up.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Choreo

I feel like I have tried EVERYTHING over the years on the fender linings - nothing lasts for more than a couple days or so (and usually attracts dust like a magnet). I rarely "wash" my car, but I detail it every day (black paint - it's a career). Quite a market if anyone ever develops something more than vinyl make-up.
I also never wash my car but when I drive it I detail it before I put it in the garage.. no one has ever seen my car dirty ever. One thing that slightly helps is when you apply a product. you go back over it and buff it hard with a cotton cloth or dry microfiber towel( rub any residual off ) . as you are buffing it, you are forcing it into the pores, and also if you do this, it wont attract dust. But even with that, its a few days at the most provided you don't get it wet. Like I said, there is no magic out there . anyone who finds a magic bullet and makes a product using it. the formula is easily exposed with a MAs spectrometer . Because no one has found anything special.. nothing really works. I just wish so many members would not indorse products that they buy because " They buy them " and make false claims about how good or great they are. in this thread there has been a dozen or so claims that their product works great. I've used half of them and I'm here to tell you they Don't Work. yeah they make the plastic nice when you apply it. But a few hours later it is not the same. those plastic parts under the hood are a perfect proving ground. Apply a product there, go for a ride and then look the next day.. the shine is gone and the plastic parts are dry and lifeless again. Brutally honest? You bet. Its what I do.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 05-14-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:31 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Could someone please recommend a good hand lotion? My hands are dry and need to be rejuvenated.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
Could someone please recommend a good hand lotion? My hands are dry and need to be rejuvenated.
The stuff I use for my hands is great but the down side is I use it so much Ive gone blind....I should have listened to my mom.

Get notified of new replies

To Faded plastic parts solution?

Old 05-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Navybluevette
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I use Chemical Guys "Back to Black"
Old 05-15-2013, 12:11 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

The stuff I use for my hands is great but the down side is I use it so much Ive gone blind....I should have listened to my mom.
....but maybe at your age, like me, you simply have developed cataracts.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:10 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

^^^^

Com'on gus - its the glare form the computer monitor

Quick Reply: Faded plastic parts solution?