Sponsored by:

Soft ticking sound from dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 03:43 PM
robertlthomson
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft ticking sound from dash

I have noticed a soft ticking sound coming from the dash. It is most noticable at low speeds. I am thinking it is a speedo cable. Yes? No? Is this a DYI? Vette has 53,000 now. Speedo seems to be working fine.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:50 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Could be from one of the AC blend door motors. No speedo cable in a C5 in fact C3 may have been the last to have one. Check for any codes set.

look for codes in module 99
http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/dtcdic.php

Last edited by FASTAZU; 10-11-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:53 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

I don't believe they have speedo cables for years now. Someone will chime in on this. It very well could be your heater fan that runs all the time. Try different fan speeds and all the functions "mode" to direct heat and see if that makes a difference. My SSr has the same soft tick and I quickly found it to be heater fan motor. Good luck, Rob
Old 10-11-2013, 04:08 PM
robertlthomson
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by El original
I don't believe they have speedo cables for years now. Someone will chime in on this. It very well could be your heater fan that runs all the time. Try different fan speeds and all the functions "mode" to direct heat and see if that makes a difference. My SSr has the same soft tick and I quickly found it to be heater fan motor. Good luck, Rob
WOW, did not know that! No codes, but will check the fan. It was replaced by the dealership last year, so it should be fine. If it is normal for a little "reminder" it is there, I can live with that. Just a good reason to adjust the tunes up a bit!!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by robertlthomson
I have noticed a soft ticking sound coming from the dash. It is most noticable at low speeds. I am thinking it is a speedo cable. Yes? No? Is this a DYI? Vette has 53,000 now. Speedo seems to be working fine.
I had a tapping sound coming from inside my dash once. It turned out to be one of the radio antenna wires tapping against the metal frame surrounding the radio.

There really isn't much behind the dash so this would be one of the first places I'd look.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:25 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by El original
Mine has a slight ticking sound when A/C fan is on 2nd lowest speed - when I change speeds on fan it goes away.

Get notified of new replies

To Soft ticking sound from dash

Quick Reply: Soft ticking sound from dash