Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is the C5 timeless?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 11:34 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

CORVETTE magazine editor had it right IMHO regarding the C4 Corvette. He states how well the exterior design has aged despite being 30 years old. The C4 still has a contemporary quality to it. The comparative simplicity of the C4's exterior has served it well. Ornamentation ages quickly and the fourth generation is largely devoid of it. He also states the interior did not fare as well and looks as '80s as you can get. For myself I always liked the C4 although you can never call it beautiful, it certainly has an appeal! Greetings, Rob
Old 10-20-2013, 12:01 AM
O4-/-C5
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't tell you how many people come up to me in my travels to compliment my 2004 Magnetic Red Vert.
Young kids,boys and girls, old boys and girls and all ages in between.
Some dont even know what the car is - they all just like it.
I think there is something special about the C5 design that has this effect on a wide range of people that is not going to change in the future ahead which will make the C5 design timeless.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

With parts availability, electrical issues, etc. My guess is there won't be many factory intact C5 survivors in 20 years. You'll see carburetored small block 350's stuffed under the hood or similar. All the bells and whistles silenced. Basically stripped down shells that look nice.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
You know what this sounds like to me?

"Will people still think I'm cool if I'm driving this car in 20 years?"

Who gives a fvck, I didn't buy it because every other mindless tool thinks it's awesome, I bought it for ME.
Thats not what this thread is about. This thread is more about our investment being worth something 20 years from now or not. With that said I think the C4 is just about as 80's as you can get and there isn't much you can do about it. The C5 as I said earlier, get rid of the BSMs, Wagon Wheels, and pop up lights and you have a timeless machine. Smooth, sweeping, and low slung. Nothing else like it.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:50 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by El original
For myself I always liked the C4 although you can never call it beautiful, it certainly has an appeal! Greetings, Rob

Hold on now. Just about everyone who ever compliments my 1985 C4 always starts by saying quote: Man, that's a beautiful car!
Old 10-20-2013, 01:44 PM
solaris_vii
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Hold on now. Just about everyone who ever compliments my 1985 C4 always starts by saying quote: Man, that's a beautiful car!
^^ i get comments all the time that my 89 is beautiful unfortunately most c4s are run down and not worth the cost of improving their appearance unless it is a labor of love and that creates the bad stigma theyve gotten. for me the c5s are beautiful cars (leave those bsms on!) but their design is HEAVILY influenced off the c4, more so than any other 2 generations. it looks like someone put a c4 in photoshop, made it larger, and used the smear tool to round off all the edges
Old 10-20-2013, 02:00 PM
chad3113
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I think the C5 is timeless, but honestly, every corvette generation is desirable except the C4. I think the FRC and Z06 will be the most sought after from a collector standpoint.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:00 PM
obnoxus
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
. You'll see carburetored small block 350's stuffed under the hood or similar.
I have to respectfully,,,,,but strongly disagree with you on that one !!!

Last edited by obnoxus; 10-20-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:23 PM
OneCylinder
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums
Thats not what this thread is about. This thread is more about our investment being worth something 20 years from now or not. With that said I think the C4 is just about as 80's as you can get and there isn't much you can do about it. The C5 as I said earlier, get rid of the BSMs, Wagon Wheels, and pop up lights and you have a timeless machine. Smooth, sweeping, and low slung. Nothing else like it.
Timeless until you open the headlights.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:55 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
I would compliment your car by saying, "wow, what an appealing car"
Old 10-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Blancpain
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OneCylinder

Timeless until you open the headlights.
I like the fact that the C5 was the last of the pop up headlights. Makes it unique and timeless. I just wish the pop up was cooler like the way the C4 did it.

Besides the C5 may well be in the same timeless category as the Lambo Muira (or Countach), BMW 8 series, Ferrari F40, Porsche 928, Toyota 2000GT, and Acura NSX to name a few

Last edited by Blancpain; 10-20-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:32 PM
DRM87
Pro

Received 450 Likes on 153 Posts

I loved my C4 and I find the C6 and C7 to be attractive cars, but every time I see the C5 coming down the road, it never looks dated to me. So smooth and sleek. It's so nice I bought it twice!

Old 10-20-2013, 06:36 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
You know what this sounds like to me?

"Will people still think I'm cool if I'm driving this car in 20 years?"

Who gives a fvck, I didn't buy it because every other mindless tool thinks it's awesome, I bought it for ME.
Didn't we all " Buy it for me "? I know I did. Couldn't care what other people think or I might have bought something else since some people like the C6 better. I don't , and don't care for the C7 which many like enough to buy one. This is about C5 opinions and I guess you had yours.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:22 PM
yanmar
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default timeless design

just my 2 cents worth but, the c6 and now the c7 in particular have lots of angles, where as the new jaguar f. porsche 911,viper srt, aston martin and others have curves as does the c5 corvette. lets see what direction the new mustang takes............
Old 10-20-2013, 09:16 PM
OneCylinder
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Blancpain
I like the fact that the C5 was the last of the pop up headlights. Makes it unique and timeless. I just wish the pop up was cooler like the way the C4 did it.

Besides the C5 may well be in the same timeless category as the Lambo Muira (or Countach), BMW 8 series, Ferrari F40, Porsche 928, Toyota 2000GT, and Acura NSX to name a few
I was just having a little fun with Mattie Num Nums' post. I love the pop-up lights, too bad they didn't design them more aerodynamic when up. Maybe C8 will come up with a really cool set-up.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:22 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
Didn't we all " Buy it for me "? I know I did. Couldn't care what other people think or I might have bought something else since some people like the C6 better. I don't , and don't care for the C7 which many like enough to buy one. This is about C5 opinions and I guess you had yours.
Indeed I did, and still do, because I still believe a good chunk of people buy cars like this just to turn heads. The fact that it does was never a factor in my decision to buy this car, but to a lot of people I believe it is and to me, that's about as lame and vain as it gets. That's what this post reeks of to me. To those who don't fall into this category, take no offense and carry on with the conversation.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:34 PM
OneCylinder
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

Evidence to a timeless design is that in the 8 model years there were no body redesigns. Same bumpers, fenders, roofs etc.

Get notified of new replies

To is the C5 timeless?

Old 10-20-2013, 10:08 PM
5.3Avalanche
Instructor

Originally Posted by 98gorby
I'm curious, I feel that the C5 styling has aged very well. I would say it is one of the best aging vehicles styling wise from the 90s. When people ask the year of my 98 I always get a reaction like no way its that old. In my opinion the C4 really shows its age. Do you guys feel the C5 will be timeless. Or now that we have a new generation vette, the C5 will start looking out dated?
I think it already is a timeless design. The styling of this car still goes toe to toe with the latest and greatest in my opinion. I didn't believe it until I started getting comments from people at work and random people when I was out driving. They would ask me what year my car was, "2011, 2012?" they typically ask. When I explain I drive a '98, they can't believe it. Being well taken care of also helps but still, I think it goes to show that the car still looks amazing today, and is comparable to newer sheetmetal.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:21 PM
OneCylinder
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by 5.3Avalanche
I think it already is a timeless design. The styling of this car still goes toe to toe with the latest and greatest in my opinion. I didn't believe it until I started getting comments from people at work and random people when I was out driving. They would ask me what year my car was, "2011, 2012?" they typically ask. When I explain I drive a '98, they can't believe it. Being well taken care of also helps but still, I think it goes to show that the car still looks amazing today, and is comparable to newer sheetmetal.
"Sheetmetal"?

Just kidding, I know what you mean.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:13 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Definitely. It holds its own with todays cars on the road.

Quick Reply: is the C5 timeless?