Sponsored by:

is the C5 timeless?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 07:56 AM
98gorby
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default is the C5 timeless?

I'm curious, I feel that the C5 styling has aged very well. I would say it is one of the best aging vehicles styling wise from the 90s. When people ask the year of my 98 I always get a reaction like no way its that old. In my opinion the C4 really shows its age. Do you guys feel the C5 will be timeless. Or now that we have a new generation vette, the C5 will start looking out dated?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:12 AM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Don't know for sure how I feel about that. Really like our 2001 but like our 12GS a lot too. But for that matter I still really like the looks of the C4. Not really sure if it's a strong enough design to be a classic but it still looks good to me.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:40 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

In short - YES! It is timeless and has timeless lines!

Thanks,Matt
Old 10-19-2013, 08:45 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe...time will tell
Old 10-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Absolutely timeless. It has been demonstrated throughout automotive history that most car designs that incorporate curves and smooth lines have faired a lot better at remaining ageless and desirable than the ones with sharp creases and/or wedge shapes. This is true with almost every car make and model when you look at their history. There are a multitude of examples out there that demonstrates this. Of course, there are other factors such as rarity that will heavily influence whether a car becomes collectible one day but, people still find smooth curves and flowing lines attractive and always will. Just my two cents.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:38 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Gave a lot of thought

to this with the few neurons I have left.
The C5, styling wise, kind of sits in the middle of the before and after, and does have some beautiful lines. Maybe timeless, maybe enduring. It embodies a bit from those before and those since. When I activate the pop-ups, it feels like my '70 which is my second favorite of all I owned. Just sat there and shook at idle. I do know that the C5 draws a lot more attention and "I really like your car" raves than did my C4's.

If I could bring myself to part with the money, a C2 would be in my garage, as I see it as timeless. Side pipes.... yes! American muscle... yes!

I guess only time will tell. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited by David Shiel; 10-19-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:39 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by 98gorby
I'm curious, I feel that the C5 styling has aged very well. I would say it is one of the best aging vehicles styling wise from the 90s. When people ask the year of my 98 I always get a reaction like no way its that old. In my opinion the C4 really shows its age. Do you guys feel the C5 will be timeless. Or now that we have a new generation vette, the C5 will start looking out dated?
Being that YOU own a C5, naturally YOU feel it's looks are "timeless". That's what being a Corvette enthusiast is all about. As for others who own different generations of Corvettes, theirs is the more appealing and timeless body style. I don't think the C5 will ever be the "Vette to Get" when someone is interested in buying a Corvette though. Just my opinion.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:50 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It very well could become a timeless design. If you look at the process,the C1's,2's and 3's were icons when the baby boom generation was in there teens and twenties. Those generation of corvettes(and other muscle cars) are now prized primarily by the boomer generation. It could be very conceivable that the C4's and C5's will become more sought after as the 30's and 40's age group get older.
The C5 has a graceful style that even now appeals to a wide age spectrum,and I foresee a fairly stable price structure for the immediate future and very possible to begin to rise some as the number of cars begin to decline through attrition and the boomers children begin to age.The most sought after cars are the ones that you remember fondly as being "cool" when you were young!
There are TONS of cool cars from my era (a few of which I had and wished I STILL had),,but one of the top ones was a Corvette! That is why I now have a 69 (from my early 20's era)for fun and nostalgia and I have an 00 FRC C5 that I think is cool and is a bit more practical for driving on a regular basis.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:08 AM
MiRatlhed
C5R
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I went on my Corvette purchase hunt I was dead set on getting a C3 Stingray because that is the car I fell in love with as a kid. Now on the day I went over to purchase a restored '74 my wife had me looking at this C5. After driving a 74 and a 77 the C5 sold itself to me. For one the price was much better than I expected and the overall sight and comfort was incredible. We test drove it and picked it up a couple days later.

After having it for a couple weeks now and having the opportunity to wash, tinker and get a new sound system installed I am very happy we chose the C5. Plus after spending lots of time here and viewing all the sweet rides I do like the '97 we got better than the C3's. I think we will still have a C3 in the garage because my son and I are on the hunt to get one for him for his first car when he turns 16.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:14 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Let's look at the history of the Corvette body lines:
  1. C1 - Curvy
  2. C2 - not as curvy
  3. C3 - Curvy
  4. C4 - not as curvy
  5. C5 - Curvy
  6. C6 - not as curvy
  7. C7 - not as curvy

If curviness is in any relation to timelessness, the C5's in the bag.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:26 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I think it's timeless due to it (probably) being the last Corvette we will see in our lifetimes that incorporates flowing curves vs. sharp edges and also has pop-up headlights. Both design characteristics have pretty much been retired in general automotive design.

If anything, I still hold out hope that the sharp edges will again return to softer flowing lines. I guess it's sort of like fashion, what goes around comes around and if you hang on to your "old clothes" long enough, they will come back in style.

IMO, the C5 brought the Corvette brand into the world-class sportscar arena. It is now competing head-to-head with more expensive, high-end sports cars while still maintaining a level of affordability.

My 2004 is approaching its 10th birthday and I still receive comments on a regular basis.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:29 AM
BobbyC5
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe the C5 design will stand the test of time. Her smooth lines are very appealing to the eye.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Brackneyc
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vettes are timeless.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:34 AM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I have long thought the 'lines of C5 Corvette' timeless, sleek, and beautiful. I will think that, long into the future.
With that said, I had many long years and miles of pleasure and fun driving my C4.
I love the lines of C6 Grand Sport/Z06 as well. And can easily imagine owning one in the future.
I have recently seen my first (in person) C7; and I think it a beautiful car. I think it is 'all Corvette', from all angles. But that does not take anything away from C5, in my mind.
What I know to be true, and know many here will agree with, is that C5 still turns heads, and gets notice, when you drive it; everywhere. Still !!!

The entire generation of C5 is easily recognized as 'America's Sports Car', where ever it goes. I do not think that C6 or C7 take anything away from that, at all. Or ever will.

We did a thread a few months ago, about 'the lines of C5' from all angles. Guys posted many many 'cool' photos of their C5 Corvettes, from many varying angles, elevations, etc. You can't find an angle where this car doesn't look sleek and beautiful !!!

C5 Corvette, is timeless; in my humble opinion.....
Old 10-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The C5 will be a classic. It was a revolutionary design in 1997 and with little changes (BSM's removed, lowered, and new wheels) it has no problem standing up to designs of today.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:32 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by donald4972
... You can't find an angle where this car doesn't look sleek and beautiful !!!...
Well, you may recall a time when some thought the rear of the C5 was kind of "large," (as in, "Does this Corvette make my butt look big?") but I'm sure that's the last time anyone will ever complain about the back of a Corvette.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:41 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

The C5 is so timeless and sure to be the classic to own in the future that it is the one that I picked as a keeper and this comes from a guy that has previously owned everything but the C1's and have no desire for anything built after 2004. The 97 - 04 Corvettes may not have all of the bells and whistles of the ones built today which always seems to attract the new buyers , but those bells and whistles only add to the electrical nightmares down the road. The C5 is what it is , a great car!

Get notified of new replies

To is the C5 timeless?

Old 10-19-2013, 11:47 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by s'noJob
Well, you may recall a time when some thought the rear of the C5 was kind of "large," (as in, "Does this Corvette make my butt look big?") but I'm sure that's the last time anyone will ever complain about the back of a Corvette.
Funny that you should mention that. When I first saw the back of the C5 in 1997 I thought the same thing because it was not offered in a convertible but when I saw it in a convertible the following year , I loved it . Now look at how I show mine in my avatar.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:01 PM
camburger
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

The C5 was an epic design effort by GM engineering. Timelessness is elusive, but among the few cars which deserves the title the C5 stands proud.

Bob
Old 10-19-2013, 01:15 PM
thealien
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am biased as I just bought mine but I think the C5 has the best lines and will pass the test of time, so YES!

Quick Reply: is the C5 timeless?