Sponsored by:

Will C7 Kill Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:01 AM
daddoe
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Will C7 Kill Corvette?

I think it’s safe to say, though, that unless the Stingray and all-new Z06 don’t scare up some serious sales figures in the next few years, we could see the Corvette breed grind to a halt around 2020.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/ch...corvette-ever/
Old 12-26-2013, 11:05 AM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

Believe it when I see it
Old 12-26-2013, 11:06 AM
daddoe
Pro

Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
Believe it when I see it
Or not see it...
Old 12-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The only thing I read about not seeing another Corvette was in regards to the Z06 - not the Corvette line.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:16 AM
daddoe
Pro

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
The only thing I read about not seeing another Corvette was in regards to the Z06 - not the Corvette line.
The article headline was a little catchy;
Chevrolet’s Chief Corvette Engineer admits 2015 Z06 could be the last new Corvette … ever

Old 12-26-2013, 11:24 AM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

The mid to upper level middle-class is dieing in this country, therefore the pool of potential buyers is shrinking. I hope to see a turn around in our economy but I'm not holding my breath.

I can see GM keeping the Corvette alive as a flagship model that they use to introduce new innovations in automotive technology, but there could be a limit as to how much money they are willing to commit to a loss leader. JMHO
Old 12-26-2013, 11:53 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

I would love to see a basic Vette for the rest of us. A true sports car. I don't need all the bells and whistles or the high tech gadgetry that add thousands to the price. Build a basic solid sports car with 400 hp. I think its a good possibility that the Vette may die off. At 80Gs a pop they may be pricing themselves out of the marketplace. The country does need a good two seater sports car for the masses.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After seeing a few at the race track. I see some subtle design changes coming up soon. To me the new Vette's remind me of Celica's.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:06 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with the above posters. If Chevy does not stop the relentless upward price spiral of the Corvette, It will die. A low price ( LOW / to mid $40K ) starter car without all the bells and whistles and electronics will sell. The upper middle class demographic that they are currently priced for is getting smaller and smaller. If Chevy wants to move the plastic, they need to make it so a much broader demographic can afford it.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:09 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 750 Likes on 432 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

There is lots of bad news out there:

- The Baby Boomers are retiring in droves. The average age of Corvette owners is 59, born at the peak of the Baby Boom. They're going from the peak of their disposable income in their last years of work to budgeting for two or three more decades of retired life. The generation behind them is smaller and won't get as large until the '90s kids get ready to retire.

- People born in the '70s and '80s aren't as fascinated by cars as much as we were, especially muscle cars. They don't know or care what torque is, but they sure as hell want Bluetooth and other bells and whistles.

They are also getting married and putting off having families to a later age than the Boomers. They will still be putting kids through college as they near retirement. They also bought bigger and more expensive houses than did the Boomers and will still be paying them off as they approach retirement.

- EPA CAFE standards aren't going to get any less restrictive. The trend is in the other direction.

I think 2020 is too soon, but I'd be surprised if the Corvette has an 80th anniversary. The Corvette was born with the Baby Boomers and may well die with them too.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

No. It will save the corvette, not kill it. Sales figures of late year C6s were not trending in the right direction and the new car is much better and getting interest from people not previously interested in corvettes.

As far as a $40k base car, that's not going to happen. You can't even buy a crew cab Z71 for that anymore.

Can everyone please get over the new taillight shape?
Old 12-26-2013, 12:15 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 750 Likes on 432 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Black 02
Can everyone please get over the new taillight shape?
Not mentioned once in this topic.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:15 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I agree with the above posters. If Chevy does not stop the relentless upward price spiral of the Corvette, It will die. A low price ( LOW $40K ) starter car without all the bells and whistles and electronics will sell. The upper middle class demographic that they are currently priced for is getting smaller and smaller. If Chevy wants to move the plastic, they need to make it so a much broader demographic can afford it.
Remember the Road Runner? I think that kind of thinking would work for a new generation Vette. A basic Vette, the LS1 is a proven powerplant, 350 to 400 hp, good handling, PS, PB, a decent stereo, fewer electronics and make it user friendly for repairs and maintenance. A car for the enthusiast. I could get by without power locks, HUD, hidden headlights, power antenna and power windows. I do need a removable top or convert though. I think they could squeeze out 30 mpg out of an LS motor.
Seems to me the new Vettes are overkill. I can afford one but would never but one. I would rather wait for the 70% depreciation.

Last edited by JR-01; 12-26-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jcsperson

- People born in the '70s and '80s aren't as fascinated by cars as much as we were, especially muscle cars. They don't know or care what torque is, but they sure as hell want Bluetooth and other bells and whistles.

They are also getting married and putting off having families to a later age than the Boomers. They will still be putting kids through college as they near retirement. They also bought bigger and more expensive houses than did the Boomers and will still be paying them off as they approach retirement.
Where did you cut and paste this from? It originally said 60s and 70s and then you edited it to 70s and 80s. I had to laugh because you said these people are getting married and don't care. Your original post would have people waiting until their 50s to get married. If that happened, there certainly wouldn't need to be any more corvettes as there wouldn't be a next generation at all.

Your cut and paste couldn't be more incorrect. I was born in the 80s and I live and breath cars, just like many of my friends. Car people are car people, no matter what generation they come from.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:23 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Where did you cut and paste this from? It originally said 60s and 70s and then you edited it to 70s and 80s. I had to laugh because you said these people are getting married and don't care. Your original post would have people waiting until their 50s to get married. If that happened, there certainly wouldn't need to be any more corvettes as there wouldn't be a next generation at all.

Your cut and paste couldn't be more incorrect. I was born in the 80s and I live and breath cars, just like many of my friends. Car people are car people, no matter what generation they come from.
I know a lot of young whipper snappers that are into cars. They can not afford Vettes, so they go with the rice burners instead.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:24 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
There is lots of bad news out there:

- The Baby Boomers are retiring in droves. The average age of Corvette owners is 59, born at the peak of the Baby Boom. They're going from the peak of their disposable income in their last years of work to budgeting for two or three more decades of retired life. The generation behind them is smaller and won't get as large until the '90s kids get ready to retire.

- EPA CAFE standards aren't going to get any less restrictive. The trend is in the other direction.

I think 2020 is too soon, but I'd be surprised if the Corvette has an 80th anniversary. The Corvette was born with the Baby Boomers and may well die with them too.
I think your baby boomer analogy is right on the money!

Hollywood glorified US muscle cars 1950 thru 1980. Then it all slowly went away, with an occasional glorification of imported cars. Hollywood has huge impact on this sport. Plus all cars in general have gotten too expensive, including insurance and especially maintenance and repairs. Capitalism brought the US muscle car-sports car to fruition and now it is sucking the life out of it. A real shame. Auto racing is still held in high regard in Third world countries! Guess where the money is going now?
Old 12-26-2013, 12:28 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JR-01
I know a lot of young whipper snappers that are into cars. They can not afford Vettes, so they go with the rice burners instead.
Face palm.

What's not affordable about a $10k-20k used C5 or C6?

Get notified of new replies

To Will C7 Kill Corvette?

Old 12-26-2013, 12:32 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Face palm.

What's not affordable about a $10k-20k used C5 or C6?
We're talking about the new Vettes. Pay attention.
Used C6 for 20K?
Old 12-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JR-01
We're talking about the new Vettes. Pay attention.
Used C6 for 20K?
Fair enough. Maybe one day all the young GTR guys can finally afford a Corvette.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:38 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Fair enough. Maybe one day all the young GTR guys can finally afford a Corvette.
Only rich spoiled kids get GTRs.

Quick Reply: Will C7 Kill Corvette?