Sponsored by:

First HPDE didn't turn out so well

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Chucks99
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First HPDE didn't turn out so well

I'm heartbroken, happened at Palm Beach raceway a few weeks ago. Still waiting to see what ins will do but already said it's a total loss. I was being sooo careful and the car felt so solid all day my instructor told me not 30 sec before this that I could pick up the pace. Was coming out of turn 11 into front straight (about 90% into straight) when she just snapped right with no warning of getting loose, unfortunately the wall to the left was very close. Nobody hurt so that was good.

Anyone have any experience getting new frame sections welded on? I'm considering keeping the salvage and repairing myself depending on the ins numbers they come up with. The only part I can't do is fixing the frame I would leave that to the pros. the frame is bent about 12" back from the front both sides at about a 45deg angle. From that point back it looks good but I know there could be some sway in it that you cant see. I've found some front frame sections used firewall forward just have no Idea what a shop would charge for replacing it.
Attached Images   
Old 01-19-2014, 05:56 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 891 Likes on 589 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune but glad no one was hurt.

I have the frame sectioning/repair manual I can email you if you PM me your email addy. That way you can see what's possible and what it takes.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:59 PM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Ouch man; sorry, I know the feeling.
Do you intend to make it a track car if you keep it?
Any idea why it snapped right on you?
Old 01-19-2014, 06:30 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Insurance? What insurance?

Old 01-19-2014, 06:46 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts

Yeah, insurance won't usually cover track events. Will yours?
Old 01-19-2014, 06:57 PM
Chucks99
Intermediate

Thanks Patches pm sent.

Not sure why it came around so fast, my instructor talked to some other veterans/ instructors there that were more familiar with vettes and their best guess was the tires I was running were not the best (BFG g-force) but it was unusual for the car to snap sideways that fast when basically going straight. I had the car out in parking lots playing with it to get a feel for it when it gets loose and never got that reaction, it was always predictable.

Would like to put her back together if I can, was only planning on doing 3-4 track days a year so don't want a track rat. She was such a flawless car only 34k and looked new in and out, not to mention it's a supercharged Lingenfelter car. Just still waiting on ins company to decide weather their paying or not (Geico) has to go up the chain of command to investigate weather or not it was a racing event.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:03 PM
Chucks99
Intermediate

I have Geico and the first claims guy told me that as long as it was in no way a competition of any sort I was good but when claims adjuster assigned to it called me she said it needed to go up the chain of command to investigate for themselves what kind of event it was, guess they don't want to take my word for it.

In hind site tho I wish I would have paid for track ins would have been easier in the claim process.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:05 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

To investigate weather or not it was a racing event. You wrecked it on the track and turned it into your insurance? Good luck!! Good way to lose the insurance on the rest of your vehicles.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:25 PM
3318C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chuck sorry to hear about your misfortune, like you stated you were not hurt!!! I wish you the best in resolving the issue.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:28 PM
GoatKart
Instructor

Sorry about the bad luck, real bummer!

However, not trying to be critical or a troll. Honest question. In what way would that NOT be considered a track/competition/racing event? It sounds like the very definition of one...

My understanding was basically if it went on a race track, drag strip, even if it was an autocross event in a parking lot it wasn't covered. Very interested about that aspect...
Old 01-19-2014, 07:33 PM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts

I would have drove that thing to the nearest freeway on ramp and ran it into a wall or two, then called my insurance. Thats what the devil on my shoulder is telling me to do anyway.

Drove or towed, but either way, Im finding me a nice sturdy concrete wall to ram.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:40 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

No not Race Track, I was pulling out of Race Trac gas station. Sorry for the confusion Mr. Adjuster.

Seriously good luck if you can get geico to pay up.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:49 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

I've been to 2 HPDE's and 3 Autox in the 2 years I've had this car. Thanks some friends' advice and referrals, I purchased track insurance here: http://locktonmotorsports.com
They are a pleasure to deal with and reasonable. I know this is after the fact, but for anyone considering track experience, it's worth the peace of mind as well as not trying to 'fool' one's regular insurance company.
Did whomever sponsored the track event have a tech inspection before hand?
Old 01-19-2014, 07:54 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

One man's "fool" is another man's "fraud."

Old 01-19-2014, 08:02 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry. Sucks.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:07 PM
Chucks99
Intermediate

It's all in the way the policy is worded, most companies state that driving on any surface designed for racing disqualifies but mine doesn't. I checked on this before going and was told the same thing the first claims guy said as long as it was not a competition it was covered.

HPDE is not a competition as there are no winners no trophy no lap times recorded just driving on a track for your own enjoyment, it's considered an educational event.

Believe me dropping it off the tow truck crossed my mind but like I said I checked before going and was told it would be a covered event but we'll see how that goes.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:11 PM
fastbydrmike
Instructor

Your insurance should cover it with no problem as long as it wasn't a sanctioned racing event. I did a lot of track days in my 911 and State Farm considered this driver education. Same when I did track days on my Ducati.

Get notified of new replies

To First HPDE didn't turn out so well

Old 01-19-2014, 08:15 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Might have been better to pull it out in the street and say that you lost it there. I hope you're right about your policy.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:17 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fastbydrmike
Your insurance should cover it with no problem as long as it wasn't a sanctioned racing event. I did a lot of track days in my 911 and State Farm considered this driver education. Same when I did track days on my Ducati.
That may be true in KY, but in NC, State Farm says any track event is a no-no.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:21 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I am intersted in the outcome. i have Geico and would like to co some track time.

Quick Reply: First HPDE didn't turn out so well