Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife said C5 exhaust sounds like a %^$sy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 11:20 AM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 191 Posts

I agree with your wife. The sound of the LS exhaust is less than inspiring no matter what aftermarket parts are installed. At least it's better than a Viper.

When I want to listen to an awesome exhaust note I go for a ride in my LT1 Camaro with headers and Borla exhaust. It sounds almost as good as a Mustang.. Nothing sounds better than a Mustang with a good aftermarket exhaust so spend as much as you want and she will still be able to say a Mustang sounds better.

I think it has something to do with the location / geometry of the combustion chambers and how the sound pulses are formed and how those pulses combine with the pulses from the other cylinders to form a voice.

Whatever it is... Mustangs sound awesome.

Last edited by TraceZ; 03-02-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:50 AM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I, too, like Toque's GHL exhaust sound. However, he bought his GHL's from a predecessor company (GHL) who, as I recall, went out of business. The present GHL is a successor business.

Now I could be wrong but I recall some recent GHL purchasers have been very disappointed with the build quality of the GHL exhausts they received - something about quality control problems with the Philippine manufacturer of these systems. [Read, for example, all of the postings on this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...endor-ghl.html .] Perhaps these things have been sorted, but still....

[I'm not one to beat up any vendors for having their stuff made in in the Philippines, China, etc. In truth, about the only things actually made in the USA today are those little tags on stuff that say "Made in the USA." 'Cause if every item that claimed to be truly was made in the USA, we'd be paying quite a bit more for them than we are. Just remember, made in Japan was a very derisive description in the 1950 and 1960s. Now? We associate "Made in Japan" with very high quality. I suspect the same will happen in China, the Philippines, Mexico, Thailand, Bangladesh, etc. My point: things change, and sometimes in a hurry.]

Nevertheless, I lost confidence that GHL would deliver the quality of product I wanted, so I bought the Billy Boat (B&B) PRTs as replacements for my C5 Z06 titanium exhaust setup. The PRTs are louder than the Z06 setup all rpm ranges including at the 1,500 - 2,000 rpm range at which I cruise around town - loud enough that I have to shift into a lower gear to get rid of the almost-a-drone sound.

I suspect the only truly satisfying exhaust system for me would include electronically controlled cut-outs - like the Billy Boat Fusion bi-modal exhaust. But having just bought the PRTs three months ago, I just can't justify the cost of the swap-out.

So as the saying goes...you pays your money and you takes your chances.

The Lizzard

Last edited by LoneStarLizzard; 03-02-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:53 AM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,908 Likes on 1,681 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Didn't know a Corvette made the queef sound?

Seriously though, if your looking at the bullets, I should let you hear mine before you commit to anything. I don't think we have the same complete exhaust but it would be similar. I will see if I can find a video of it if I made one when I awaken from my slumber this afternoon.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:06 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Corvette is a sports car, not a muscle car. It's not supposed to sound like a Mustang.

...but more people drag race their vettes than road race them, so I guess all bets are off
Old 03-02-2014, 12:41 PM
3318C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP go & listen to the actual systems on our cars & then make up your mind. ALL have different opinions on different systems. Borla, Corsa, B&B, they are all quality systems. I personally have Borla Stingers & love them. Drone you say....man up I say...

Opinions are like......well I can't use the analogy I was thinking off....

Again, what worked for me was going to local meets & hearing the different exhaust systems. Then I felt at least I made a choice based on what I actually heard & appealed to me. That IS my opinion anyway.....LOL
Old 03-02-2014, 01:16 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Received 175 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jmxp69
I checked, she doesn't want me posting them with that black eye.
What do you say to a woman with two black eyes?

Nothing. She's already been told twice..
Old 03-02-2014, 01:39 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

I liked my Flowmasters (direct replacement system) - nice improvement over the TI exhaust, NO drone and a good sound out the back.

As for the drone - skip forward to about a 3 and a half minutes to see the interior sound level at cruise on level ground.

And if you want obnoxious, you can do the SLP Powerflow system. It does sound great out the back, but I lost about 5 mpg due to the massive torque loss. There was no gain in the upper end compared to the Flowmasters either - I should have never changed them out, but I really liked the SLP tip that's shaped to match the cutout in the rear bumper.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:49 PM
doublec4
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 24 Posts

Personally I prefer the Z06 titanium mufflers but bypassed. I also went with an x-pipe and breathless headers. No drone but a wicked sound when you open it up.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:10 PM
jmxp69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarLizzard
Now I could be wrong but I recall some recent GHL purchasers have been very disappointed with the build quality of the GHL exhausts they received ... [Read, for example, all of the postings on this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...endor-ghl.html .]
YIKES! This is an unfortunate turn of events. Thanks for sharing the info. I've been reading quite a bit about these and hadn't come across that thread. Guess I'll have to re-evaluate.

By the way, regarding the various 'make it sound like a Mustang comments' I'm not trying to make it sound like a Mustang, just need to lose the weaksauce sewing machine note and make it sound like a sports car.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:33 PM
jake07Z06
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FRANK J CARCIA
B&B PRT. A lot of compliments from people who pull up next to me and tell me how the car sounds good.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:43 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,108 Likes on 806 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 3318C5
OP go & listen to the actual systems on our cars & then make up your mind. ALL have different opinions on different systems. Borla, Corsa, B&B, they are all quality systems. I personally have Borla Stingers & love them. Drone you say....man up I say...

Opinions are like......well I can't use the analogy I was thinking off....

Again, what worked for me was going to local meets & hearing the different exhaust systems. Then I felt at least I made a choice based on what I actually heard & appealed to me. That IS my opinion anyway.....LOL

No two ears are the same! Go and have fun!
Old 03-02-2014, 02:47 PM
calivette805
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TraceZ
I agree with your wife. The sound of the LS exhaust is less than inspiring no matter what aftermarket parts are installed. At least it's better than a Viper.

When I want to listen to an awesome exhaust note I go for a ride in my LT1 Camaro with headers and Borla exhaust. It sounds almost as good as a Mustang.. Nothing sounds better than a Mustang with a good aftermarket exhaust so spend as much as you want and she will still be able to say a Mustang sounds better.

I think it has something to do with the location / geometry of the combustion chambers and how the sound pulses are formed and how those pulses combine with the pulses from the other cylinders to form a voice.

Whatever it is... Mustangs sound awesome.
I HAVE to agree but......... I will take a c5 with a donkey cam and straight pipes any day of the week
Old 03-02-2014, 02:57 PM
0GHL Exhaust
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmxp69
YIKES! This is an unfortunate turn of events. Thanks for sharing the info. I've been reading quite a bit about these and hadn't come across that thread. Guess I'll have to re-evaluate.

By the way, regarding the various 'make it sound like a Mustang comments' I'm not trying to make it sound like a Mustang, just need to lose the weaksauce sewing machine note and make it sound like a sports car.
We have corrected the problem by having a car in the shop. Now they are perfect..
Old 03-02-2014, 03:21 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 404 Posts

There are so many variables. If your mind isn't already made up, you haven't listened to enough systems. Go listen to several and then decide.

The stock C5 exhaust??

The first week I got this car (with stock exhaust) I took my wife's best friend for an aggressive spin. Her comments?

"I really like your car! I especially like the fact that the exhaust is so quiet! Much quieter than all of those other noisy sports cars that your friends drive!"

The Corsa's were installed a week later...
Old 03-02-2014, 03:24 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

eh. I find that the loudest cars at the track are usually not the fastest. It's the sonic equivalent of saying that the most outrageous body kit with the biggest wings is the best.

A car loud enough that OSHA would mandate hearing protection for you to drive seems retarded, but maybe the people doing it already have hearing damage so they need it loud to hear it?
Old 03-02-2014, 04:11 PM
2004c5blackcoupe
Instructor

One of the first mods I did was the A&A exhaust bypass because the stock exhaust was way too quiet. I had a local muffler shop do this for $50.00.
Sounds great, no drone and the price is right!
Old thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ypass-mod.html
Old 03-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by troyguitar
A car loud enough that OSHA would mandate hearing protection for you to drive seems retarded...
And what's really retarded is trying to figure out what a car sounds like based on a Youtube video played through laptop speakers.

Get notified of new replies

To Wife said C5 exhaust sounds like a %^$sy!

Old 03-02-2014, 04:34 PM
forensicsteve
Instructor

At least it's better than a Viper.
Yep....vipers are not known for their rapturous exhaust tones. The srt's is greatly improved but still underwhelming.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:38 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Gotta laugh: at the moment, this thread is adjacent to one titled "Installing sound deadener for a quieter ride".
Old 03-02-2014, 04:45 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by calivette805
I HAVE to agree but......... I will take a c5 with a donkey cam and straight pipes any day of the week
Me too man, me too. The ride is so much more enjoyable in a Vette. The overall experience trumps that of Mustang any day of the week.

Quick Reply: Wife said C5 exhaust sounds like a %^$sy!