Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Securing A Vette On Out of Town Overnight Trips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:21 AM
C5_
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Securing A Vette On Out of Town Overnight Trips?

I'm looking for my first Vette, a C5 convertible. How do you guys secure your Vettes on overnight trips to best prevent vandalism and theft?

Thank you!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:38 AM
hougland
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUOTE=C5_;1586316975]I'm looking for my first Vette, a C5 convertible. How do you guys secure your Vettes on overnight trips to best prevent vandalism and theft?

Thank you![/QUOTE]
Old 03-04-2014, 08:55 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I have a stereo with a removable face plate and an alarm system that has a starter-kill feature. Other than making sure nothing valuable is visible, locking the doors, and setting the alarm there really isn't much you can do unless you want to invest in Lojack.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:56 AM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Ground floor hotel room with car parked in front of window and loaded gun on nightstand. Otherwise inventory and itemize everything with a good full coverage plan and don't worry about it to much. At least thats what I do.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:34 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,357 Likes on 1,627 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

lock it and hope for the best... eh I have insurance
Old 03-04-2014, 10:13 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,414 Likes on 14,037 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I take any personal items inside, lock the doors (thereby arming the alarm) and I carry good insurance on the car. I also try to park the car right next to the room's window if on the first floor or as close as possible if on an upper floor. Park where there is a street lamp or other lighting helps too. Other than that, if a pro wants the car, chances are not much else you can do.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:21 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I take any personal items inside, lock the doors (thereby arming the alarm) and I carry good insurance on the car. I also try to park the car right next to the room's window if on the first floor or as close as possible if on an upper floor. Park where there is a street lamp or other lighting helps too. Other than that, if a pro wants the car, chances are not much else you can do.
That's what I do. Also try to get motel in the good part of town and you won't have a problem.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:21 AM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I agree. Only thing I would add, is to just relax and enjoy your trip. Some things, all the worrying in the world won't 'fix'. This is one of those.
The alternative is to stay home, all locked up; essentially your own prisoner. Just use as much common sense as one dares, just go, and enjoy your C5!!!
Old 03-04-2014, 10:23 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoeyG
Ground floor hotel room with car parked in front of window and loaded gun on nightstand. Otherwise inventory and itemize everything with a good full coverage plan and don't worry about it to much. At least thats what I do.
Make sure you know the gun laws of the state you are in or you could be in worse trouble than the guy messing with your car.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:25 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Install Ravelco!

It costs about $350 to get installed...but you can't start the car without it.

It's basically a plug with pins in it that disconnect ignition, fuel pump, etc.

So the only way to steal your car is with a flatbed truck or forklift.

Impossible to steal it by starting and driving off. (steel wire loom placed over wires....all wires are black so there's no way to tell what is connected to what unless you spend hours and hours re-wiring...and by then you will blow fuses anyway from shorting them out).

Not a salesperson at all....just a completely satisfied customer with 2 cars that have Ravelco plugs.....no worries at all! Let's you sleep at night.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:53 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

At night you can just pull one or two fuses to prevent a start. No money in that.

What I have done before with one of my cars I off loaded from the trailer was to tell the night clerk to watch out for it. I made sure my room was near the front and parked the car (with car cover) where he could see it. I ordered pizza for him and left him a tip in the morning. The Pantera is so low and interesting I wanted to make sure it was cared for. When you restore a car you have a completely different attachment than when you just buy a car. It was still disabled and had a GPS tracker, but I didn't want anyone to screw with it. If I had left it one the trailer I would have had to park it far away.

Other option, just have your lady friend sleep in it. If the car is still there in the morning I would say she is a "keeper".
Old 03-04-2014, 10:56 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bdanyluk
Install Ravelco!

It costs about $350 to get installed...but you can't start the car without it.

It's basically a plug with pins in it that disconnect ignition, fuel pump, etc.

Impossible to steal it by starting and driving off. (steel wire loom placed over wires....all wires are black so there's no way to tell what is connected to what unless you spend hours and hours re-wiring...and by then you will blow fuses anyway from shorting them out).

Not a salesperson at all....just a completely satisfied customer with 2 cars that have Ravelco plugs.....no worries at all! Let's you sleep at night.
The problem is, that's not going to prevent vandalism and perhaps **** the thief off to the point where he trashes the car for spite. The factory security system will stop 99% of thieves and only the pros can get past it.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I agree bottom floor room and car right outside the window. That's what I do
Old 03-04-2014, 11:09 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
The problem is, that's not going to prevent vandalism and perhaps **** the thief off to the point where he trashes the car for spite. The factory security system will stop 99% of thieves and only the pros can get past it.
Ok...so don't do anything.

I'll take a trashed car over a stolen car anyday. You can fix the car if it gets trashed.

If it's stolen....then it's gone forever.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:14 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Smoken1
I agree bottom floor room and car right outside the window. That's what I do
That is about the best you can do. I crack the motel window so I can hear if anything is going on out there. We took many trips and stayed at a lot of motels with my C3, without a problem. Just use common sense in choosing the motel and the parking location.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:16 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Ok...so don't do anything.

I'll take a trashed car over a stolen car anyday. You can fix the car if it gets trashed.

If it's stolen....then it's gone forever.
Then you get a new one. If you want you could get a battery disconnect for about 10 bucks. Does the same thing.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:55 AM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

People steal ****, that's what they do. If you don't feel comfortable parking it somewhere, there may be a good reason for it.

I forgot my passenger window was down the first weekend I had my car and it was parked in one of the sketchiest motels in town with my phone charging on the seat. Nobody messed with it and I have insurance if they had.

After my Toyota truck got stolen (with alarm) and was left with the interior gutted while I was at the mall for 40 minutes, it made me realize that if someone wants it bad enough, short of putting it in your living room and sitting next to it at night, there isn't much you can do.

My buddies '78 Bronco with built 460 and 44" mudders was stolen out of his driveway in the middle of the night. How they got it without waking anyone in the neighborhood is still a mystery. But again, if they want it, there is little you can do to stop them.

We got both vehicles back within 24 hours each time. But the damage was extensive on both. We rebuilt the Bronco, I got a newer truck. Insurance it a good thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Securing A Vette On Out of Town Overnight Trips?

Old 03-04-2014, 12:25 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

You obviously have not seen New Jersey car thieves at work. They can strip an entire car down to the frame in less than the time it takes to walk in a convenience store, buy a soda, and walk back.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:54 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Car cover it with cable lock in place and park close to ur room or in visible location, works great, bonus clean car in the am. Rob
Old 03-04-2014, 01:00 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Or if you just want to make it more difficult..............
[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: Securing A Vette On Out of Town Overnight Trips?