Sponsored by:

HID headlight kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

alxltd1 your aca lights are different than radioflyer correct?
Old 04-20-2014, 11:24 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Borntorun04
alxltd1 your aca lights are different than radioflyer correct?
The ones in the picture were ACA units off of Ebay. I have since replaced them with a set from RadioFlyer with the Halo option. However they are not the Bi-Xeon units from RadioFlyer.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:16 AM
KoreaJon
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Borntorun04
Thinking of getting Corvette Mods HID headlight kit. My car is stock this will be my first mod . I would really like better lighting. Those of you that have this kit are you happy with the upgraded lighting ? Did you also get high beam and 55 watt upgrade ? Last when ordering resistor will that be already wired in or will I have to splice in my self. Thanks in advance for your help.

Here's my experience w/ the headlight upgrade:

When I got my car, it had some cheap, crazed, half-assed functional "Depo" style fixed lights. Horrible.

Over the last (almost) year, I acquired all of the parts needed to replace the Depo headlights with factory pop-ups. When I finally had everything I needed, I just couldn't resist the lust for newer-styled headlight assemblies, but after all of the other stuff I bought for my car this year, I just ~couldn't~ shell out for some of the highly regarded light housings available from the vendors on this forum. I'm SURE they're worth the money, but that "inner Yankee" just kept nagging at me to try some of the less expensive options.

The ones I bought cost $175 delivered, and included everything seen in the advertisement. I used one of the relay harnesses to make my 4-on harness. The included bulbs really....sucked, though!

The halogen bulbs that went into the projectors was ....disappointing, to say the least...

So, I bought these to install in the projector housings. They are 55w, 6000k HID's:

They came well packaged, and were literally a plug-and-play install.

The difference in light output is obvious, even during the day!

I also installed the same bulbs in the fog lights. On the right is the halogen, on the left is the HID.

I installed a 4-on harness to the headlights:

And I plan to install a 4-on harness to the fogs; I want the fogs to stay on while the hi beams are on, as well.

I still have to aim the lights, and I want some brighter bulbs (maybe) in the hi beams; but I have a total of $255 in the headlight assemblies, two sets of 55w HID's, and my "4-on" harnesses.

The difference between the stock lights and what I have now is amazing.

IHTH,
KoreaJon

Last edited by Vette_DD; 04-21-2014 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Deleted links to non-supporting vendors
Old 04-21-2014, 05:59 AM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want a low cost upgrade to try before spending$$$ on projector lights, you can replace your low beam bulbs with 9012 HIR bulbs. Not near as good as the projector lights, but the HIR bulb is almost double the output of the standard bulb. If you don't drive at night very often, it may be acceptable for your needs. The bulbs sell for $60/pr and work well in the stock reflectors. you need to trim the tabs a little for them to fit, but it's very easy to do.

9012 HIR Bulbs:
http://store.candlepower.com/ph3rdge90h.html

Modifying mounting tabs:

Headlight bulb replacement:
Old 04-21-2014, 09:51 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by KoreaJon
Here's my experience w/ the headlight upgrade:

And I plan to install a 4-on harness to the fogs; I want the fogs to stay on while the hi beams are on, as well.

IHTH,
KoreaJon
My pictures above show the fogs on with my low and high beams. Toque (forum member) had a picture of the harness to use on his web page. The only issue I am still looking to solve is how to choose via the fog switch when I want the fogs on with the low and high beams. The way the harness operates is that the fogs come on automatically with the highs regardless if the fog switch is on. If you work that out please post a diagram. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:21 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I love my Bi-Xenon ACA's !

Quick Reply: HID headlight kit