Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] 3rd Gear Grind... HELP!!!

Old 04-20-2014, 02:55 AM
dsheezy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Gear Grind... HELP!!!

Ok, so here's the deal. Took the car to the track last night to make some passed with the newly installed mods. Went great, powershifted every gear, every pass, 4 passes, no grinds at all. Drive the car home, all is good. Tonight, a buddy with a heads cam camaro wanted to race, so of course I accepted. We go out race 2 times, 20 and 40 roll (i won both by the way). The problem is, during the race, i did NOT power shift any gear, and it grinded 3rd both times as it went in. I didnt really think anything of it, til the ride home. On the way home, i was pulling up to a stop sign, and tried to down shift the car into third gear, it grinded like crazy and forced the shifter back towards me. This also happens when casually driving and upshifting the car in third. I had this happen to me on a camaro, and it turned out being a synchro, i'm fairly sure that this is more than likely the culprit here as well; however if anybody has any insight it would be much appreciated. BTW, i did just change the trans fluid about a month ago, changed it with Royal Purple Synchromax. I am going to check the fluid tomorrow and hope that it is low, but i feel like it should to that in every gear if it were the cause. Anyway, thanks guys.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:10 AM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Synchro... needs rebuilt.

Same happened to me last year.. got a built tranny this past winter.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:24 AM
apollo240
Racer

I thought t56's were built like brick shithouses? I know anything can break but i thought it took a lot for them to give
Old 04-20-2014, 01:21 PM
Russ K
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The stock 3/4 synchro uses stamped tin keys that break & jamb up. D&D transmission sells billet steel keys.

Russ Kemp
Old 04-20-2014, 08:54 PM
JBoyle997
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dsheezy
Ok, so here's the deal. Took the car to the track last night to make some passed with the newly installed mods. Went great, powershifted every gear, every pass, 4 passes, no grinds at all. Drive the car home, all is good. Tonight, a buddy with a heads cam camaro wanted to race, so of course I accepted. We go out race 2 times, 20 and 40 roll (i won both by the way). The problem is, during the race, i did NOT power shift any gear, and it grinded 3rd both times as it went in. I didnt really think anything of it, til the ride home. On the way home, i was pulling up to a stop sign, and tried to down shift the car into third gear, it grinded like crazy and forced the shifter back towards me. This also happens when casually driving and upshifting the car in third. I had this happen to me on a camaro, and it turned out being a synchro, i'm fairly sure that this is more than likely the culprit here as well; however if anybody has any insight it would be much appreciated. BTW, i did just change the trans fluid about a month ago, changed it with Royal Purple Synchromax. I am going to check the fluid tomorrow and hope that it is low, but i feel like it should to that in every gear if it were the cause. Anyway, thanks guys.

How many miles on the car? My buddies 01 was doing the same thing a few months ago, a little over 100k and has been raced all its life. He thought he needed a rebuild and it ended up being his shifter bolts came lose so the car wasn't going all the way into gear.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:59 PM
dsheezy
Advanced

Originally Posted by JBoyle997
How many miles on the car? My buddies 01 was doing the same thing a few months ago, a little over 100k and has been raced all its life. He thought he needed a rebuild and it ended up being his shifter bolts came lose so the car wasn't going all the way into gear.
The car just rolled over 65k. I haven't checked that yet, I'll see if they may have came loose. There had been sort of a whining noise coming from the shifter, until now I didn't think anything of it.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:57 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dsheezy
I thought manual trans fluid was a no-go in these... GM specifies ATF

Originally Posted by apollo240
I thought t56's were built like brick shithouses? I know anything can break but i thought it took a lot for them to give
Mine is being rebuilt right now for what appears to be a broken synchro key

Originally Posted by Russ K
The stock 3/4 synchro uses stamped tin keys that break & jamb up. D&D transmission sells billet steel keys.

Russ Kemp
Old 04-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Horps27
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use amsoil ATF
Old 04-21-2014, 03:52 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

What year is your Z? The 04's had stronger forks than prior years.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:32 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
What year is your Z? The 04's had stronger forks than prior years.
Late 03s and all 04s got the stronger steel shift forks, but they still had the garbage stamped synchro keys

Get notified of new replies

To 3rd Gear Grind... HELP!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] 3rd Gear Grind... HELP!!!