Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stance Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 05:43 AM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Would you say the ride is harsh or noticeably more....rigid(?) than stock? I have no intention of tracking my Z, and personally think the stock ride is a-ok just wish she was a little lower without sacrificing ride quality like when it's slammed on stock bolts.

If money wasn't an issue I'd honestly snag a set of drop spindles. Have yet to see someone who doesn't track their car get a set, I suppose why spend that much on just a drop.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:21 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by nvusgt
Would you say the ride is harsh or noticeably more....rigid(?) than stock? I have no intention of tracking my Z, and personally think the stock ride is a-ok just wish she was a little lower without sacrificing ride quality like when it's slammed on stock bolts.

If money wasn't an issue I'd honestly snag a set of drop spindles. Have yet to see someone who doesn't track their car get a set, I suppose why spend that much on just a drop.
My ride on the Stance is not "harsh" I would describe it as firm but supple, meaning it feels solid but does not rattle your teeth going over street bumps and dips. I am lowered but not excessively. So I dont know if that helps but it is the best I can try to explain. I dont see the ride as that much different than stock but improved.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Navybluevette
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by racebum
don't buy chineese shocks. the LG or KW's aren't all that expensive, can be serviced and actually have decent valving. tires, brake pads and suspension components are places you don't want to be cheap

Where do you think LG's coil overs are made? China.... I have the LG GT2 coil over and they are great.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:21 PM
rkdc5z06
Racer

Originally Posted by Eric240
Alex Talbott 2012 NASA ST2 National Championship Race Winner

Here's the "in car" at Mid Ohio if anyone is interested.
2012 Nasa National Championships - YouTube

I also was the 2013 SCCA June Sprints Champion at Road America in Super Touring Under in an STI with Stance Coilovers.

Both of these cars used the exact same hardware as the street models, the only change was in the shim stacks. What works on the street well, won't be perfect on the track and vice versa. If they know enough to make a coilover ride great on the street, and can then tune that damper to win races at the track over and over, then they are ok in my book.

I would never compare Function and Form or Blackworks with Stance Suspension. I'll never understand why people chime in on review threads with "rock solid" assumptions and hearsay.

I've been running the Stance super sports on my C5 for 2 years. She's my daily 9 months out of the year. I've never had a single hiccup and I love the way it rides. I know I've sold a few people on them just by giving ride a longs.
+1
I had Stance coils on my previous car for about 5 years and I am very satisfied w stance.
Wish they come up with higher end versions for the vette. (external resorvior)
Old 06-13-2014, 07:32 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Navybluevette
Where do you think LG's coil overs are made? China.... I have the LG GT2 coil over and they are great.
should be made by bilstein, or at least were. by the way why are you asking me if you already have them?
Old 06-13-2014, 07:35 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by Eric240

I would never compare Function and Form or Blackworks with Stance Suspension. I'll never understand why people chime in on review threads with "rock solid" assumptions and hearsay.
probably because unless it says : koni, bilstein, olhins, sachs, moton or penske it's not worth taking a chance on
Old 08-08-2014, 05:11 PM
huskychopper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alxltd1
I have the Stance coil overs on my 2000 coupe along with C6 Z06 sway bars. They have performed without issue. They have allowed me to lower the car without sacrificing ride quality. I have not slammed the car, but it is lowered about 3/4 inch in front and 1 inch in the rear. The coils are set at the just over the mid point (towards firmer) and it rides and handles very well. I have not tracked the car but do drive it spiritedly on twisty roads. Bought them through Dennis about a year and a half ago. Currently the car is in the shop finishing wide body fender installs and C6 Grand Sport wheels and big brakes. Overall I have been very pleased. And if we are going to avoid foreign made parts on our C5's we better then start looking at all the OEM parts that are made in Mexico, Canada, and else where. Others may have different opinions on Stance and experiences. Some will always go the " you get what you pay for" line and assume $1300 is just to cheap to be a quality product, then again high price does not always equal quality, it sometimes just means the vendor has over priced their product because they have a market willing to pay a premium. The adjustment process on the Stance coil overs is not as easy as the LG or some others, but that was not a major consideration for me. So do your research and then make your decision. Good luck.
Old, thread, but I was looking for some information and thought I would add since there seems to be a lack of input from owners. I have Stance coilovers on my car, and bought it with them because I knew I wanted coilovers. I spoke to Stance before I bought the car and felt comfortable with their design and quality. I have since spent a lot of time adjusting and fine tuning the setup. The adjustment is the same as the first generation PFADT. I'd recommend using PFADTs template for cutting 1" holes in the rear trunk area to access the rear dampening adjustment if you want to play with adjustments. The fronts are easily accessible under the hood. Ride height is the same as other makers - pulling the wheels and loosening the lock collar on the shock body with a spanner. It is easily done on the car with jacks/jackstands.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:06 PM
TheTinMan
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll add my $.02 as well on this since there are a few people that seem to think if its not a big name like LG they must not be that great. I put Stance GR+ Coilovers on both of the FD RX7's I had and raced both of them... A LOT. Mostly road course out on Arroyo Seco in New Mexico, but also autox as well. Those coilovers took a beating better than any other coilover i had to include Tien and KW. I blew one of the rear coilovers, talked to Stance and they sent me out a replacement that day without me having to sit around with my car apart for days. When it comes time i'm almost certainly going to be going to Stance on my Z unless i find an incredibly good dead on another set that i just cant pass up. Used LG's for $1500 or New Stance for $1500 i'd take the Stance.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:37 PM
mrm13
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll chime in too.
I put Stance coils almost a year ago. I have put a good 3000 miles on the car since then. It is a huge improvement over stock. I had first C6Z06 sway bars and bushings/links with C5Z06 springs/shocks. The Stance Coils outperform that setup 5:1. Ride is not the same as stock. It is improved. I have given rides to few people, who admited they expected crappy ride because they new my setup. They were very surprised how smooth everything is.
They are loud. And what I mean, is that everything is more direct. So when you go at low speed over a road imperfection it "clunks" more in the interior. Not as much the shock, but everything in the car, because its firm. Same way you get more vibration with solid engine mounts.
Their adjustment is not bad at all. The front ***** are right under the tanks under your hood. In other words, you open your hood, unscrew three bolts that hold your window washer fluid/coolant tank and the adjustment ***** are right in front of you. The rears can be accessed if you take the wheel off.
Used LGs are $1500. Brand new Stance I got for $1200 delivered to my door. So far the best spent $1200 on my car.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:04 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

That's exactly the info I was looking for when I originally posted this thread. Thank you guys for the input on your experience.

I still have stock Springs but did upgrade to C6 Z06 bars and metal end links. My mods bill has been a bit much so far this year so in an attempt to not drop another grand just yet I went ahead and went with new C6 Z06 shocks for now. But coil over is in the not too distant future and based on y'alls experience I'm thinking Stance will be the way I will go. Then sell my nearly new Z06 shocks.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:00 PM
sal-on-fire
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrm13
I'll chime in too.
I put Stance coils almost a year ago. I have put a good 3000 miles on the car since then. It is a huge improvement over stock. I had first C6Z06 sway bars and bushings/links with C5Z06 springs/shocks. The Stance Coils outperform that setup 5:1. Ride is not the same as stock. It is improved. I have given rides to few people, who admited they expected crappy ride because they new my setup. They were very surprised how smooth everything is.
They are loud. And what I mean, is that everything is more direct. So when you go at low speed over a road imperfection it "clunks" more in the interior. Not as much the shock, but everything in the car, because its firm. Same way you get more vibration with solid engine mounts.
Their adjustment is not bad at all. The front ***** are right under the tanks under your hood. In other words, you open your hood, unscrew three bolts that hold your window washer fluid/coolant tank and the adjustment ***** are right in front of you. The rears can be accessed if you take the wheel off.
Used LGs are $1500. Brand new Stance I got for $1200 delivered to my door. So far the best spent $1200 on my car.
Hey bud,

Just bought them and about to install. Haven't looked at manual yet but thought I'd ask. Which direction makes them softer/softest? Do you advise against this setting? I'm looking for independent suspension with comfort as I don't track the car. I also bought them so I can lower the car properly. By Not using lowering bolts method I mean not that there's anything wrong with that. Just not for me.

Thanks
Sal
Old 05-24-2015, 09:14 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by Navybluevette
reading comprehension is not something you are good at is it?

like this reply is not in response to my actual statement. you apparently think i either stated a country or manf for LG or said china? neither was said, what i did do is endorse LG and KW as great choices

let me help you out just a little bit here

don't buy chinese shocks is pretty straight forward yes? that is a statement, it ends with a period. next you will see me say LG and KW aren't all that expensive which is a ringing endorsement to look at those two as they make good shocks for reasonable money.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:41 PM
rkdc5z06
Racer

This subject got me really curious, so I have contacted Alex Talbot about the Stance coilover set up on his ST2 car.
Alex referred me to Eric Wortman @ Touge Factory in Illinois, who set up his car and suspension.

So, I spoke to Eric @ touge factory this morning regarding the Stance SS coilovers on ST2 Champ car.

The off the Shelf spring rate for SS coilovers are 7.5k/10k F/R but eric told me that the ST2 car is on something like 12k/15k or 15k/18k something higher than off the shelf Stance SS coilovers and have custom valved shocks as well.
It's is because off the shelf coilovers are for "general" corvette enthusiast who are weekend worrior who is looking for better handling but doesn't want the harsh ride of track suspension. He said he has the Dyno Spec for the ST2 car's coilover setup, so he can mimic the set up he I would like.
He said, I'll need a Swift spring upgrade (custom rate, $99/corner) and shocks revalved. To get the shocks revalved will be $50 per corner if I get the coilovers through him or if I already have the coilovers and want to get it revalved, it will be $125/corner.
So all in all, Eric at Touge Factory told me that I can mimic the ST2 champ car set up for ~$1500~1600.

http://tougefactory.com/shop/contact/contactus/
tel: 847-290-1531, give Eric Wortman (somethimes he go by Scott) a call, and he can help you set up the Custom rateted springs/ Shocks with Dyno proven ST2 champ car setup.

Last edited by rkdc5z06; 07-29-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:35 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

What did you guys use on the front top for bushings? Did you reuse the stock ones? My Stance coilovers have some sort of bushing on them but it doesn't seem like its gonna work like oem. Any advice?
Old 08-09-2015, 08:34 AM
funnyguyMI
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

There should be a bushing on the inside of the coilover, I think. And, you have to take it apart to get it out, and then guess and at how far to screw it back together. Kind of wonky.. I'd give stance a call On Mon for more info.. I called them a few times during my install, and they were always happy to help..

G/L!
Old 08-09-2015, 01:42 PM
raz0rbladez909
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Natie
What did you guys use on the front top for bushings? Did you reuse the stock ones? My Stance coilovers have some sort of bushing on them but it doesn't seem like its gonna work like oem. Any advice?
There should be two bushings on top once you remove the nut holding the bushings on. Remove one bushing, then slide the coilover through the mount, put the other bushing back on then torque it all down. Once you have the setup all connected you can look up how to properly set preload.

Last edited by raz0rbladez909; 08-09-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:46 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by raz0rbladez909
There should be two bushings on top once you remove the nut holding the bushings on. Remove one bushing, then slide the coilover through the mount, put the other bushing back on then torque it all down. Once you have the setup all connected you can look up how to properly set preload.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately there wasn't two bushings that came with the coilovers, just one. I was able to use the stock ones. They fit the pocket on the top mount/hat. I installed the fronts today. Will test drive it tomorrow. My main concern was I didn't want the strut rod moving around in the mounting holes and getting damaged.

Get notified of new replies

To Stance Coilovers

Old 08-09-2015, 11:18 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by funnyguyMI
There should be a bushing on the inside of the coilover, I think. And, you have to take it apart to get it out, and then guess and at how far to screw it back together. Kind of wonky.. I'd give stance a call On Mon for more info.. I called them a few times during my install, and they were always happy to help..

G/L!
Inside? I read your comment again more carefully. I only saw the bumpstop as you can see in the pic. Now I'm wondering if it was a bushing but I swear it was a bumpstop. Lol
Old 08-10-2015, 06:35 AM
raz0rbladez909
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Natie
Inside? I read your comment again more carefully. I only saw the bumpstop as you can see in the pic. Now I'm wondering if it was a bushing but I swear it was a bumpstop. Lol
The one on the inside is definitely a bumpstop. There should have been two above the top hat. If not I'd call Stance.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:21 AM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by alxltd1
My ride on the Stance is not "harsh" I would describe it as firm but supple, meaning it feels solid but does not rattle your teeth going over street bumps and dips. I am lowered but not excessively. So I dont know if that helps but it is the best I can try to explain. I dont see the ride as that much different than stock but improved.

Same exact experience for me. Had them for a little over a year now.

Quick Reply: Stance Coilovers