Sponsored by:

Lets talk Brakes....

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:07 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Default Lets talk Brakes....

Looking to upgrade either to the Baer Eradispeed 2 pc rotors to enhance my C5Z calipers... OR, upgrade to the C6Z calipers, brakes... Please share you experience w both.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:26 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
Looking to upgrade either to the Baer Eradispeed 2 pc rotors to enhance my C5Z calipers... OR, upgrade to the C6Z calipers, brakes... Please share you experience w both.
From what I've gathered from people here on the forum who have used both, the Baer seem to be the longer-lasting, not to mention they look much better. For your car I'd go with the Baer.

What is the rotor width on both? That might be a deciding factor.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:41 AM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you need high temperature (i.e. road course) performance or just want bigger rotors for looks?
Old 07-02-2014, 09:47 AM
RBbugBITme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interested in this... What made you pick the C6Z calipers over aftermarket? I'm going to make my own floating rotors and still need to decide what calipers to go with. I've been reading some borderline horror stories about the C6Z calipers so I'm probably going toward Wilwood.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:50 AM
Caveboy
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 07-02-2014, 10:04 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Back in May I installed Baer Eradispeed +2 rotors, Carbotech Pads, SS Brake Lines, and fresh Motul Fluid. :thumb:

I can easily feel the new stopping power and initial bite these brakes give off. Very happy with my setup looks wise and performance.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...p-on-my-z.html

I did consider the C6Z brakes but couldn't have my mind set on being so picky with wheels since a lot of them won't clear them. Especially the style of wheels I like with some good lip size.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Maxx_Z06; 07-02-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:06 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Troy...
I only race mine "straight line".. 1/2 mi track.... I would like "looks" but stopping is important too...

Originally Posted by troyguitar
Do you need high temperature (i.e. road course) performance or just want bigger rotors for looks?
Old 07-02-2014, 10:08 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Yeah, Maxx... I see Toques car all of the time... He has been running his 3-4 years and they still look brand new! But then again, it's Toques car...

I am leaning towards the eradispeed 2 pc rotors...

Originally Posted by Maxx_Z06
Back in May I installed Baer Eradispeed +2 rotors, Carbotech Pads, SS Brake Lines, and fresh Motul Fluid. :thumb:

I can easily feel the new stopping power and initial bite these brakes give off. Very happy with my setup looks wise and performance.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...p-on-my-z.html

I did consider the C6Z brakes but couldn't have my mind set on being so picky with wheels since a lot of them won't clear them. Especially the style of wheels like with some good lip size.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Depends on what you want to do with your car moving forward Matt.

Keep in mind that the stock C6Z brake setup has MUCH heavier rotors.
More rotating mass for sure...

If you plan to road race a lot... then C6Z brakes are a good idea.
Maybe look into a 2 piece lighter rotor for the C6Z brakes.
That would help with the rotating mass.

The Bear is a good setup for cruising, and looks great.
My FRONT Bear Eradispeed rotors were 0.60" larger and weighed ~ 1.0 lb less (each) than the stock rotor.
My REAR Bear Eradispeed rotors were 2.0" larger and weighed the SAME as the stock rotor.

Stock front 12.75"... Bear 13.35"
Stock Rear 12.0"... Bear 14.0"

Just more info for you to take in...

You got some decisions to make...

Toque
Old 07-02-2014, 10:14 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Yeah, Maxx... I see Toques car all of the time... He has been running his 3-4 years and they still look brand new! But then again, it's Toques car...

I am leaning towards the eradispeed 2 pc rotors...
Yep! Seeing Toque's car and how nicely those big rotors fill the wheel gap made them a must have for me. The fact they're great looking and lighter just adds the cherry on top to the deal.

Check out southerncarparts.com and use the coupon code "Baer".
That's the cheapest price i could find around and they shipped em free.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:18 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Thanks Maxx.... I'll keep this in mind when I am ready to pull the trigger...

Originally Posted by Maxx_Z06
Yep! Seeing Toque's car and how nicely those big rotors fill the wheel gap made them a must have for me. The fact they're great looking and lighter just adds the cherry on top to the deal.

Check out southerncarparts.com and use the coupon code "Baer".
That's the cheapest price i could find around and they shipped em free.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

You calling me a waxer ?

Ok.. Ok ... ya got me there....

Toque
Old 07-02-2014, 10:42 AM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Troy...
I only race mine "straight line".. 1/2 mi track.... I would like "looks" but stopping is important too...
Right on. In that case I'd look at the stock sized 2-piece fronts and stick with stock one piece rears (AFAIK nobody makes a stock sized 2-piece rear). Braking performance for you is all going to come down to pads since you aren't going to be stressing the system enough to need better/bigger calipers or rotors. The main thing you have to gain from 2-piece rotors in your application is weight reduction.

Racing Brake's 2-piece fronts are the lightest from what I have read so far.

Weight Comparison
One-piece 18.9 lbs.
Two-piece 14.7 lbs.
Weight Savings: 4.2 lbs.

I do not like the Baer 14" rear rotor idea personally as it shifts the brake bias A LOT. While the C5 can stand to have a little bit more rear brake, my opinion is that going all the way to the 14" rear is too far (even if you use their bigger front rotor it's still a huge bias swing).
Old 07-02-2014, 01:17 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I put c6z brakes on mine mainly for the look, the c5 calipers look tiny with a 19" wheel... they do weigh more due to the huge rotors, I weighed mine when I installed them and overall it was almost 50lbs more comparing the complete c6z setup to a complete c5 setup... if you decide to go with a 2pc c6z rotor those will prob cost around $700 or so for a front set and you won't save a ton, maybe 5-6lbs or so per rotor... I don't believe they make a 2pc rear c6z rotor, at least not when I was looking... but you can get a brand new complete c6z brake setup for about what a front big brake kit will cost... if you road race the car the real big brake kit would be the better option but for a street car the c6z setup works fine, I only do highway runs and sometimes the drag strip and the c6z brakes with hawk pads easily slow me down from 150+ and they look great so I'm happy with them
Old 07-02-2014, 02:12 PM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

I went with C6Z calipers, Hawk HPS pads and Coleman 2-piece rotors. The HPS dust is pretty bad, but otherwise they are excellent and don't really make much, if any noise. I've only done one track day, but didn't experience any fade. I wasn't killing the car, but pushing somewhat hard with 560rwhp for five 30min sessions tells me it was working alright. For about half the price of a Brembo or StopTech BBK, I don't think you can beat it. Plus the look is pretty sweet.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:31 PM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I have the Baer Eradispeed 2-piece rotors, 12.8" fronts and 14" rears. Even though I could've opted for the larger fronts (18" magnesiums all around), I chose not to in case I ever needed to put my wagon wheels back on. I also went with a larger bias spring in the master cylinder to apportion more braking to the rear. I've found that my C5 stops "flatter" with next to no nose dive, unless in a panic stop situation. Brake pads are GM ceramics for minimal dusting. I don't race this car, so it only sees occasional street & highway duty. This setup works just fine for me - your expectations may vary.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:38 PM
Stealth02
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Just got a complete C6Z set up with calipers, pads and stock C6Z rotors. I bought the set of a forum member on the C6 for sale forum. It came with stainless brake lines but not sure if they will fit my C5. Any way to tell? Anyone have pics of the difference between the two.

Get notified of new replies

To Lets talk Brakes....

Old 07-02-2014, 03:35 PM
meflyfrc
Melting Slicks

Received 192 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
I put c6z brakes on mine mainly for the look, the c5 calipers look tiny with a 19" wheel... they do weigh more due to the huge rotors, I weighed mine when I installed them and overall it was almost 50lbs more comparing the complete c6z setup to a complete c5 setup... if you decide to go with a 2pc c6z rotor those will prob cost around $700 or so for a front set and you won't save a ton, maybe 5-6lbs or so per rotor... I don't believe they make a 2pc rear c6z rotor, at least not when I was looking... but you can get a brand new complete c6z brake setup for about what a front big brake kit will cost... if you road race the car the real big brake kit would be the better option but for a street car the c6z setup works fine, I only do highway runs and sometimes the drag strip and the c6z brakes with hawk pads easily slow me down from 150+ and they look great so I'm happy with them
just did this myself. Primarily did it for looks. At first didn't notice much difference then the stock c5 calipers in stopping. Now that the pads are setting in, I am noticing a noticeable difference.

Matt,
Will your new wheels clear the c6z calipers?
Old 07-02-2014, 03:35 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

A lot of great "valued" replies.... Thank you ALL and dually noted!
Old 07-02-2014, 03:39 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Brother,
I am thinking they will.... I have a friend Mike (CNB on the forum) that runs the C6Z rotors brakes on his 00 FRC with similar sized wheels.. they are CLOSE!! But work/look very nice....

I am thinking for the price, < weight I may stay w C5z calipers and add the Baer ER2's.... I was sure thinking some Yellow C6Z Calipers would look SWEET!!!

[QUOTE=meflyfrc;1587270793] just did this myself. Primarily did it for looks. At first didn't notice much difference then the stock c5 calipers in stopping. Now that the pads are setting in, I am noticing a noticeable difference.

Matt,
Will your new wheels clear the c6z calipers?[/
QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Lets talk Brakes....