C5s Never driven in the rain.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 08:09 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
That is a beautiful Vette... The color looks really good on a C5.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:24 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

I bought a new 07 Monte SS ,had not had a new car for a while. So before I new it I didn't drive it much. Decided I had to have another Corvette so I put the Monte up for sale, 30,000 on 7 year old car, car was better than new in every way, could not even get a bite on the car,started at $17,000 found the vette I now have and traded the Monte in for $13,000. I decided on the way home this car is awesome I am going to drive the wheels off. Bought it with 50,000, put on over 7,000 miles last summer. If however the weather looks really bad I drive my truck, mostly because of the idiot's out there that drive like, well like idiot's. I also will not drive it in the winter witch gives me all winter to clean up like new, part of witch is my pleasure of ownership !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2015, 09:10 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by duramaxsky
And I have almost never seen any of those driven by anyone young. And I am a car guy and spend my day on the street making my living. I see a lot of them. Mostly gray hair inside.
I guess I'm not that young anymore myself (34) but I've always been a "car guy" - got handed down to me from my father I guess.

I don't think there is as much a craze in the young crowd as before for American muscle, but I think there's more interest from young people focused on Japanese and German imports- a lot of which nobody can afford under the age of 30 to say the least.

It's nice that the base model V6 and turbo 4 (mustang) American sports cars still offer decent performance and are attainable money wise. I think if you're into corvettes and muscle cars you may miss the fact that cars like the cobalt SS, focus ST, Subaru brz, WRX, 370z, speed3, etc are all very fun to drive & offer great performance for the dollar.... I believe these are the type of cars that the "young crowd" gravitate toward.

But to topic- driving a Vette in the rain sucks, that's the main reason I don't lol
Old 03-25-2015, 03:39 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
I guess I'm not that young anymore myself (34) but I've always been a "car guy" - got handed down to me from my father I guess.

I don't think there is as much a craze in the young crowd as before for American muscle, but I think there's more interest from young people focused on Japanese and German imports- a lot of which nobody can afford under the age of 30 to say the least.

It's nice that the base model V6 and turbo 4 (mustang) American sports cars still offer decent performance and are attainable money wise. I think if you're into corvettes and muscle cars you may miss the fact that cars like the cobalt SS, focus ST, Subaru brz, WRX, 370z, speed3, etc are all very fun to drive & offer great performance for the dollar.... I believe these are the type of cars that the "young crowd" gravitate toward.

But to topic- driving a Vette in the rain sucks, that's the main reason I don't lol
I agree with you on the younger generation - ricers are their choice. After all their electronic toys of course.

Actually, I enjoy driving my C5 in the rain - I blame it on being brought up and learning to drive in Europe! But, if the weather is s****y, my wife's Legacy GT (sort of an adult's WRX) is my choice. It's the AWD that does it. If it gets really bad, the K1500 locked in 4WD will always get me there.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:03 PM
Rico7142
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 340 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I think we can agree on one thing . . . we all love and drive our Corvettes for different reasons. If you drive your car in the rain or snow that's awesome. If you choose only to drive it when the weather is nice, that's awesome as well. We're all intelligent enough to know that our cars won't melt or rust. Personally, I've never given a second thought to how someone uses their car. We all have different tastes and enjoy things differently, so let's not get lost over that fact that we all don't always do the same things. At the end of the day we share the same passion. Some of us just go about it differently. Enjoy your car the way you see fit, and don't be critical of those who enjoy their cars differently than you do.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:21 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by 6speedsteve
The rain no rain debate will burn forever, why some do & why some don't.

A new thread will be posted in the not too distant future & the debate will start again & then one of these will show up.
But, isn't that kind of the point of discussion forums? We spend time at all times of day to chat/comment about subjects of common interest.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:28 PM
Rico7142
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 340 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by Blueleader
Several coats of ReJex keeps mine pristine. I love the way water beads with ReJex.
Use a top conditioner on convertible fabric top.
After several years of being a garage Queen. I now use her all the time.
I like to detail and don't mind it at all. I have a Billion Dollars worth of
detailing products just for her. My love affair.
I just bought my 2002 Coupe in January 2015...I already have purchased several detailing products for her.. I have another car that I drive everyday, but I plan on enjoying my C5 as much as posible whenever I can... Will not drive in the snow though..
Old 03-25-2015, 08:41 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by ttiros
I sold my 74 911 last year and bought a 02 C5. The 911 had only been caught in the rain 5 times in 40 years. I will treat my VETTE the same way.
I had an '87 911 Targa and you COULD NOT drive that car in the rain. You couldn't see squat out of the front windshield because of how the wipers threw the water over in front of your vision and the car slid all over the road - the worst traction in any car I've ever owned. And it leaked like a sieve. I was never so glad to get rid of a car as that one. As a contrast, the C5 Corvette is glued to the road even in the rain, unless you're just stupid. Night and day difference.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:54 AM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

I live in Dallas and had a wedding to attend in Austin this past weekend.

Forecast was rain so I purposely took my c5 with the nice new tires and the good gas mileage.

Too each his own, I suppose!

And Pewter99 is right....they don't melt!
Old 03-27-2015, 11:53 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

I didn't drive my C7 in the rain for...6 months. Then on a trip to Bowling Green, got dumped on. After that, rain didn't matter.
Snow..lets just say I will *not* do that again.

Anyway...for about 12 years, My C5 was my only car, thus a daily driver.

Rain/wind won't hurt it, neither will snow (but starting off in 3rd gear w/o stalling can be a challenge unto itself)

If you do not have all-season tires on in, traction will reduced (OEM goodyears are not that great), but you would not driving like you stole it in inclement weather anyway.

If you get caught out with the roof off, at about 70mph, 99% of the water goes over the top and does not fall in the car....(I was on the interstate, night time, and several miles from any exit or overpass.)
Granted, when you spot the overpass, you do get a bit damp slowing down, but that's another story. Moral there is never leave home w/o a roof panel.

Point is, it's going to get dirty even sitting in the garage. It'll wash off.

Enjoy it, don't deny yourself the pleasure of driving it b/c it's cloudy outside.

Last edited by aj98; 03-27-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:01 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by aj98
I didn't drive my C7 in the rain for...6 months. Then on a trip to Bowling Green, got dumped on. After that, rain didn't matter.
Snow..lets just say I will *not* do that again.

Anyway...for about 12 years, My C5 was my only car, thus a daily driver.

Rain/wind won't hurt it, neither will snow (but starting off in 3rd gear w/o stalling can be a challenge unto itself)

If you do not have all-season tires on in, traction will reduced (OEM goodyears are not that great), but you would not driving like you stole it in inclement weather anyway.

If you get caught out with the roof off, at about 70mph, 99% of the water goes over the top and does not fall in the car....(I was on the interstate, night time, and several miles from any exit or overpass.)
Granted, when you spot the overpass, you do get a bit damp slowing down, but that's another story. Moral there is never leave home w/o a roof panel.

Point is, it's going to get dirty even sitting in the garage. It'll wash off.

Enjoy it, don't deny yourself the pleasure of driving it b/c it's cloudy outside.
..................or if you don't want to take it out, don't. It's all up to you.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:13 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

NEWS flash update! After our drive to Texas in almost 4 hours of, on and off pouring rain. I have spent approximately, 10 to 12 hours detailing so far and I'm not even close to getting it back to pre-trip status. I'm guessing about another 20 hours she'll be show shine ready again...
It didn't melt down, or hurt the car in any way... but, I will never do this again ON PURPOSE. If, we get caught in a little rain somewhere on a road trip..OK, no big deal.. But, this has turned into a BIG deal for me. Won't happen again because I'm getting too old and it's too damn much work. I guess I need to buy another C5 for daily driving or inclement weather.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:28 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
NEWS flash update! After our drive to Texas in almost 4 hours of, on and off pouring rain. I have spent approximately, 10 to 12 hours detailing so far and I'm not even close to getting it back to pre-trip status. I'm guessing about another 20 hours she'll be show shine ready again...
It didn't melt down, or hurt the car in any way... but, I will never do this again ON PURPOSE. If, we get caught in a little rain somewhere on a road trip..OK, no big deal.. But, this has turned into a BIG deal for me. Won't happen again because I'm getting too old and it's too damn much work. I guess I need to buy another C5 for daily driving or inclement weather.
THIS ^

If you want your car to be pristine...many apparently don't care about that and it's all good...then you don't drive in the rain unless you have a lot of time on your hands for cleaning/detailing.

No thanks. I'm lucky there is so much good driving weather here in CA (and we have 2 other cars for rain driving).
Old 03-27-2015, 03:21 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by aj98
Point is, it's going to get dirty even sitting in the garage.
Especially if the garage doubles as a woodworking shop. DAMHIKT.

Quick Reply: C5s Never driven in the rain.....