Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5s Never driven in the rain.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 09:26 PM
BamaJ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C5s Never driven in the rain.....

OK, I've owned my first Vette ('04, 6554 miles) for a little over a month now, and so far I've been able to continue the same level of extreme care that the previous owner gave it for its first 10 years.....and not drive it in the rain. Of course it wasn't bought as a daily driver so it's not like I've missed work when there was a chance of rain forecasted, but I have missed three cruise-ins & a show because I didn't want to chance it after checking the weather radar (and each time it DIDN'T rain). Is it crazy that I feel this responsibility to keep her off a wet highway? I know it's going to kill me if I ever get caught out with no where to pull over & have to continue driving her in the rain. I'll feel like I've let her down, and even though I'll probably never meet the original owner I'd be ashamed if I ever did & had to break the bad news. Anyone else out there feel the same way about their Vette? Has anyone tried to keep theirs dry & clean but finally get caught out & decide to just throw in the towel? And for those that still own a "never driven" C5 what tricks or practices do you use to avoid the rain? Ever go on long trips? Right now I can't imagine ever venturing very far from home. Is this crazy? By the way, I absolutely love this car.
I'll appreciate any comments/advice. Thanks!

Last edited by BamaJ; 07-20-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:28 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

it won't melt
Old 07-20-2014, 09:34 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Let's see, it sat out at the factory after it was built and it rained on it. it rained on it while it was in transit to the dealership, it was rained on at the dealers lot and just maybe someone test drove it in the rain. So it's BS, it has been in the rain after all! You're now free!
Old 07-20-2014, 09:36 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

sorry but im one of those people that think there meant to be driven,even in the rain ,i really cant imagine not driving it.Ive had lexus,cadillac srx etc to drive everyday but ill take the vette everyday i can.BUt i will say it takes a strong man or women to keep it garaged and not driven to keep it from never seeing rain or any other elements.So a big thumbs up to you and the previous owner.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:41 PM
BamaJ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Let's see, it sat out at the factory after it was built and it rained on it. it rained on it while it was in transit to the dealership, it was rained on at the dealers lot and just maybe someone test drove it in the rain. So it's BS, it has been in the rain after all! You're now free!
Let's see, I never said it hadn't been rained on. It has.

But as clean as it is underneath I'm pretty sure it's never been on a wet road. The dealer that I bought it from said they never let it out for a test drive when the roads were wet, The previous owner trailered it to the dealer from his home 60 miles away, and they advertised it as having never been DRIVEN in the rain. It is spotless.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:45 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

In the 14k miles I've had mine I would say it's seen rain for about 2k of those. Rain is good. Rain is fun.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:49 PM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I drive mine rain or shine. Missing car shows or events just because you don't want your car to get wet is a little extreme in my opinion.
Baldfart
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't like to clean it after I've been caught in the rain. However it's easy to not to drive in the rain here in Phoenix! Just had rain after 120 day dry spell.
TX Torch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

I don't drive mine in the rain but only because of the time it takes to clean it. I just went to the NCM and got rained on for ten hours on the trip up and then 2 days of rain while here. Went to the car wash twice so it would look nice at the museum. To me it's more important to experience life and have fun than be proud it sits in the garage. Best way to enjoy the car is to drive it
Old 07-20-2014, 09:53 PM
doublec4
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 24 Posts

My father bought the car new from the dealership and never drove it in the rain. I purchased the car from him and carried on the tradition. I know it won't hurt the car, but I enjoy how clean the car is underneath. Working on it is also much more enjoyable because there is little to no dirt/grime covering everything under the car. Still looks brand new!
Old 07-20-2014, 09:55 PM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this crazy?

Yep.

Crazy smart!

Haha.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:03 PM
allred
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Firstly, let me say that is a magnificent '04 Mag Red.......looks absolutely beautiful!

Next, my 2003 Torch Red Coupe has also never been driven in the rain. It has 13,000 miles on the odometer, and there were times I thought I might be caught out but managed to always get home before there was moisture on the road.

The car has been wet, because I wash, clay bar and wax it regularly. It is as mint as a car can be, and yet still be actually driven. It is better than the day it sat on the showroom floor.

Will it melt if I get caught in the rain......no of course not. Will it detract from its value if water hits the underside of the car........probably not. Am I being paranoid.........er, sure, maybe a little.

My life won't end if my car gets driven in the rain, but I intent to not drive it in the rain during my ownership if possible. The next owner may purchase it because of this, or maybe not.

If I did get caught in the rain one time.........I don't think I'd "throw in the towel" and then drive in the rain regardless.............................. .........I think I'd get it on a lift and polish the underside until it was like new again..

My name is Allred, and I'm a Corvette Rainaholic!!!

Old 07-20-2014, 10:08 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,286 Likes on 13,962 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I can understand how you feel - I was the same way when I first got each of my last three C5s (two new, one used). Didn't take long to get over that feeling though.

But, IMO, yes it's to constantly worry about such things. The car won't melt if you drive it in the rain and all it takes is a little extra elbow grease when you detail the car. I doubt it's going to add any extra value to the car saying it's never been driven in the rain (sure wouldn't for me anyway, as long as the car has been well maintained and detailed properly). And there is always a chance you'll get caught in a pop-up shower when out on a cruise or run though a wet street somewhere unexpectedly. Only way to be totally sure that doesn't happen is to just keep it in the garage or never go very far from home. You miss out on a lot of good times that way.

BTW, that is one beautiful C5 you bought.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Rain makes it grow

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 07-20-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:15 PM
fwrogg
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the best trip car ever and if you plan to enjoy it for what it was ment to be used for, sooner or later it is going to get caught in the rain. I got caught in Montana last year on an unfinished muddy road, it sucked but worth every minute going up the "going to the sun road", so much so I did it several times. And when I sell it, it will not matter or get me a bigger trade-in because I kept it clean. Yes it does not look factory clean, but who cares, people still wave and shout at me that they love the car.

Last edited by fwrogg; 07-20-2014 at 10:18 PM. Reason: shot to shout
Old 07-20-2014, 10:16 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

My Vettes are used for pleasure driving. I don't enjoy driving in the rain, so they have yet to see any so far. If it looks like rain, then they stay in and the DD gets the call. Bad weather days are also a good time to do something with these cars so when the weather isn't cooperating I can still get my Vette fix by doing some maintenance. I also have the undercarriage on both Vettes very clean and I just don't look forward to starting from scratch on that project. One day I'll get caught in the rain with a Vette, but it won't be intentional.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:37 PM
rocknroller
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mental illness?

Get notified of new replies

To C5s Never driven in the rain.....

Old 07-20-2014, 10:41 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by BamaJ
Let's see, I never said it hadn't been rained on. It has.

But as clean as it is underneath I'm pretty sure it's never been on a wet road. The dealer that I bought it from said they never let it out for a test drive when the roads were wet, The previous owner trailered it to the dealer from his home 60 miles away, and they advertised it as having never been DRIVEN in the rain. It is spotless.
You're missing out on most of the fun with your C5 which is going on Vette trips and such with groups. So get over it, you can clean the car!
Old 07-20-2014, 11:05 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by jrose7004
That would be correct. The only thing an owner can claim is that they never drove it in the rain.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:06 PM
TX Torch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I can understand how you feel - I was the same way when I first got each of my last three C5s (two new, one used). Didn't take long to get over that feeling though.

But, IMO, yes it's to constantly worry about such things. The car won't melt if you drive it in the rain and all it takes is a little extra elbow grease when you detail the car. I doubt it's going to add any extra value to the car saying it's never been driven in the rain (sure wouldn't for me anyway, as long as the car has been well maintained and detailed properly). And there is always a chance you'll get caught in a pop-up shower when out on a cruise or run though a wet street somewhere unexpectedly. Only way to be totally sure that doesn't happen is to just keep it in the garage or never go very far from home. You miss out on a lot of good times that way

BTW, that is one beautiful C5 you bought.
Well said, sir! Either way, it's a great car and enjoy it!

Quick Reply: C5s Never driven in the rain.....