Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5z for first car

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 09:53 AM
ls6vettenc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will die, don't do it. Okay maybe not die, but seriously, no 16 year old needs a c5z.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:18 AM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Come on guys. So far this guy has basically been called a stupid, spoiled, immature little rich kid who is going to kill himself because he can't handle a mighty C5 Z06. We don't know anything about him. He has a high budget, but that doesn't mean someone is giving it to him. He might work hard for that money and all he wants is to have a Corvette in his garage. I'm pretty sure we can all relate to that feeling. We want and need more young people involved and interested in Corvettes. This is how it's going to happen. The C5 isn't a high dollar collectible right now. It's an entry level sports car (and probably one of the best bang for your buck cars out there).

If it was me, I would go for a C5 coupe, but if you're set on a Z, go for it. Just respect the power and be careful.

I was fortunate to grow up around Corvettes so I had a good respect for them. My Dad use to tell me, you're going to get a lot of idiots driving around you and you have to ignore them and be prepared for them to do something stupid. Every kid in a souped up car wants to tell their friends they dusted a Vette (while leaving out the part that they were the only one racing). When someone tries to challenge me, I just chuckle to myself knowing I have more under the hood than they do.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:27 AM
wolf8218
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tdogg21
Come on guys. So far this guy has basically been called a stupid, spoiled, immature little rich kid who is going to kill himself because he can't handle a mighty C5 Z06. We don't know anything about him. He has a high budget, but that doesn't mean someone is giving it to him. He might work hard for that money and all he wants is to have a Corvette in his garage. I'm pretty sure we can all relate to that feeling. We want and need more young people involved and interested in Corvettes. This is how it's going to happen. The C5 isn't a high dollar collectible right now. It's an entry level sports car (and probably one of the best bang for your buck cars out there).

If it was me, I would go for a C5 coupe, but if you're set on a Z, go for it. Just respect the power and be careful.

I was fortunate to grow up around Corvettes so I had a good respect for them. My Dad use to tell me, you're going to get a lot of idiots driving around you and you have to ignore them and be prepared for them to do something stupid. Every kid in a souped up car wants to tell their friends they dusted a Vette (while leaving out the part that they were the only one racing). When someone tries to challenge me, I just chuckle to myself knowing I have more under the hood than they do.
It's much more fun making them feel bad about their slow cars. YOUR CAR IS BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD, GO BUY A PRIUS.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:58 AM
OKZ06
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

He already made another post prior to this thread saying he owns a slightly modded c5z, sounds like this is just someone trolling
Old 08-19-2014, 11:33 AM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Like most said, it isnt over all experience driving, it is experience driving a powerful car. Do what makes you happy just be careful learning the car.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:59 PM
chad3113
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's 16, that's pretty much all anyone needs to know on whether he should own a 400hp rwd sports car. Throw in the fact that it's not his money, and he can't type properly and you have a valid argument to say his maturity level isn't very high.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:03 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

Look at the other threads this guy has started. "LOUD exhaust", several "what is the meanest sounding cam", etc.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:15 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Sounds like a great idea, but you have to make a promise that a 400 shot of nitrous will be the first mod. Also make sure you video the first pass and post it on the forum.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:30 PM
grasshopper645
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

FWIW i'm 21 and have a '99 c5 (not a Z nevertheless). My first car at 15 was a crappy old mazda but I got my first v8 at 16. - a v8 holden and then a '97 LT1 camaro. I've never crashed but had the odd close call.

I don't really clasify myself as a particularly good driver though. Don't know if ego has much to do with it. I'd say a c5 with active handling would be better then a c4.

I believe a young person can be responsible, but granted I wouldnt want my son driving a vette at 16, even though my mother let me. The only reason i have the money own those cars is because of an inheretence. Maybe I was lucky for not crashing, maybe my personality made me OK. I also never raced it or drove like an idiot.

Last edited by grasshopper645; 08-19-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:30 PM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It'd kind of strange. In some threads this kid claims to already have a C5Z, and other posts he asks about buying one. I think it's more likely he's using this forum to fulfill his daydreams, not anything to do with actually buying/owning one.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:07 PM
BRYM1010CID4T
Heel & Toe

hey thanks for what you said an for everyone else i have worked for that money I've been working every summer an weekend since fourth grade so i have money for i nice car. tdogg thats why i choose the c5 cause it seems like the best deal for my price range an i also grew up around corvettes an my dad says the same thing your dad does
Old 08-19-2014, 08:11 PM
BRYM1010CID4T
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by john8642
It'd kind of strange. In some threads this kid claims to already have a C5Z, and other posts he asks about buying one. I think it's more likely he's using this forum to fulfill his daydreams, not anything to do with actually buying/owning one.
i put that because its easier for people to answer a question about a car with the things i want rather than say all of what i want so people get a better idea of the car i want the things for.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:44 PM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What color do you want?
Old 08-19-2014, 08:45 PM
BRYM1010CID4T
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by scarecrowkc5
What color do you want?
whatever i can get not to picky
Old 08-19-2014, 09:11 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

I thought you already had one?

Originally Posted by BRYM1010CID4T
I have a c5z with lg pro long tubes, slp loudmouths and a cold air intake is the t rex cam the meanest thing i can get away with without doing anything major to the engine
Old 08-19-2014, 09:15 PM
BRYM1010CID4T
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by aaronc7
I thought you already had one?
Read what I said a couple posts above
Old 08-20-2014, 12:41 AM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BRYM1010CID4T
i put that because its easier for people to answer a question about a car with the things i want rather than say all of what i want so people get a better idea of the car i want the things for.
Because meanest cam and loudest exhaust are such important things to know when dreaming about something you don't and probably wont have. Just in case you really are 15 and not 12, and somehow CAN afford one of these cars, you really need to read the link below. It is the best example I've seen about what happens when an immature driver's skill runs out at the wrong time. This kid was trolling the M5 forum for three days, asking about turning off the driver aids and speed control on the BMW M5 he claimed to own (his dad's). Save your family a lot of grief and buy a C5 poster to hang on your wall.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...-5-killed.html

Just in case anyone is curious, here's a link to his threads on M5 forum.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sea...rchid=11930185

Last edited by john8642; 08-20-2014 at 12:54 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5z for first car

Old 08-20-2014, 05:42 AM
Impulsive goat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I started out in a Chevy cavalier then moved on to an 02 ls1 camaro about two years later, then an 04 gto, and now finally at age 28 I'm in a z06. Definately had my fair share of tickets in my first two but learned my lessons and managed to make it through my early twenties without any major damage. I definately recommend starting in something else. I can remember trying burnouts in the little cavalier, I couldn't imagine what I would been doing with at vette back then.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Fed Up
"My Dad's a TV Repairman"

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 151 Likes on 93 Posts

Here's an adult with questionable driving experience, driving a Z06 with... predictable results. Fast forward to the 12 minute mark or so if you're impatient.

Just a bad idea. My first Corvette was an '86 (in 1994 at the age of 24) with a whopping 230HP. But that torque still got me in trouble with curbs, in the rain and with tickets. Not in that order.

If you must have a Corvette, buy a C4 in good condition and learn to maintain it yourself. It's a wonderful car, plenty quick and will make you appreciate your future C5, C6 and...

Last edited by Fed Up; 08-20-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:31 AM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by chad3113
He's 16, that's pretty much all anyone needs to know on whether he should own a 400hp rwd sports car. Throw in the fact that it's not his money, and he can't type properly and you have a valid argument to say his maturity level isn't very high.
Seriously?? There is a 16 year old running F1 for the 2015 season. Age means nothing. I don't know this kid and neither do you. He might be mature enough for this car and he might not. But I'm not his parent so I'm not going to tell him he can't have something. I say if you have the money, enjoy yourself, but be safe. At least a C5 has good brakes and active handling to help.

And how do you know it's not his money? I've known a lot of kids who worked and saved all of their money for the car they wanted.

I don't know this kid and I'm not saying he has the money and maturity to own a C5z. For all I know he's a 10 year old (or 30 year old) trolling the forum. But I'm not going to sit here and say he shouldn't buy the car simply because he's 16.

I think it's great that younger kids are interested in owning Corvettes. This is an old mans hobby and we need to find ways to get kids interested and involved in Corvettes. I don't agree a C4 is a better option. C5s are coming down in price to the point where you can get an old C5 for very little money. And they are much safer than the C4s.

Last edited by tdogg21; 08-20-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: C5z for first car