Sponsored by:

Loose Seat Back??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 11:34 AM
cardozaa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose Seat Back??

So I've seen plenty of posts about the "rocking seat" issue where the seat will move slightly on the seat rails, however I can't find any information on the problem that I am experiencing. The upright portion of my seat has a good bit of back and forth play to it, probably 3" to 4" at the top, and this is especially a nuisance under heavy breaking. Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be a problem with the seat back adjusters? Just curious to see if anyone else has experienced this and found a solution.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:40 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I am sure this is normal design free play in the seat.
The following users liked this post:
JimHarris4 (09-25-2022)
Old 04-15-2015, 02:34 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

There's a few things that could be at play. There can be an issue with the seat-back adjusters. I didn't really look into it much because I found my issue to be something else.

The mounting tabs for the power seat rails can wear, which causes the rear of the seat bottom to move around. This makes it feel like the seat back is loose. To test, grab the headrest and move the seat back side to side. Watch what moves where the seatback meets the seatbottom. If the seatbottom is moving, it't the mounting tracks that are the issue.

For me, I just swapped my rails to manual rails and haven't looked back. Lighter, insanely rigid (seat doesn't move at all) compared to the power rails, slightly lower (more headroom) and simple to adjust. If you like the power seat rails, there's a kit that fixes it:

http://corvettepartscenter.com/drive...r-kit-1997-04/
Old 04-15-2015, 03:55 PM
cardozaa
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dadaroo
I'm going to assume this is a joke.

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac
There's a few things that could be at play. There can be an issue with the seat-back adjusters. I didn't really look into it much because I found my issue to be something else.

The mounting tabs for the power seat rails can wear, which causes the rear of the seat bottom to move around. This makes it feel like the seat back is loose. To test, grab the headrest and move the seat back side to side. Watch what moves where the seatback meets the seatbottom. If the seatbottom is moving, it't the mounting tracks that are the issue.

For me, I just swapped my rails to manual rails and haven't looked back. Lighter, insanely rigid (seat doesn't move at all) compared to the power rails, slightly lower (more headroom) and simple to adjust. If you like the power seat rails, there's a kit that fixes it:

http://corvettepartscenter.com/drive...r-kit-1997-04/
It's pretty clearly the seatback itself that is loose. I have no problems with the bottom of my seat moving as normally seen in the "rocking seat" that is often described.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:57 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Right. My seat bottom didn't "rock" as people describe it either. It's the rear portion that gets loose and makes the seatback feel loose.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:02 PM
beboggled
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

It is part of the normal design. Its mentioned in the GM C5 Z06 video on youtube. I think it was a bad idea, but I do know it was purposely put there for some reason.
The following users liked this post:
JimHarris4 (09-25-2022)
Old 04-15-2015, 04:41 PM
cardozaa
Intermediate

Originally Posted by beboggled
It is part of the normal design. Its mentioned in the GM C5 Z06 video on youtube. I think it was a bad idea, but I do know it was purposely put there for some reason.
Wow, you weren't kidding. It's mentioned at about 24:40. Sorry for doubting you!

Still strikes me as an odd "feature".
Old 04-15-2015, 05:53 PM
Daddyrama31
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Make sure your mounting flange is not broken. Common failure and will make your back seat feel unstable.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:47 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by dadaroo
No joke, I have seen half a dozen posts like yours with the same result.

Your free play may be a little more than normal.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:12 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 133 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588655287

Try this link
Old 04-16-2015, 01:36 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

"Normal" for corvette seats...terrible IMO. I had some special parts machined to eliminate 2/3's of the rocking. They still move a bit. I don't notice it under hard driving now though.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:03 PM
Pronto's Friend
7th Gear

Originally Posted by cardozaa
So I've seen plenty of posts about the "rocking seat" issue where the seat will move slightly on the seat rails, however I can't find any information on the problem that I am experiencing. The upright portion of my seat has a good bit of back and forth play to it, probably 3" to 4" at the top, and this is especially a nuisance under heavy breaking. Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be a problem with the seat back adjusters? Just curious to see if anyone else has experienced this and found a solution.
just watched an episode of Wheeler Dealers on motor trend tv that delt with that very problem and it's a simple fix. Couldn't find the season only that it was episode 4. A 2002 Z06.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:57 PM
The Former
Melting Slicks

Received 378 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Pronto's Friend
just watched an episode of Wheeler Dealers on motor trend tv that delt with that very problem and it's a simple fix. Couldn't find the season only that it was episode 4. A 2002 Z06.
Saw that one! Liked it top to bottom!
Old 09-23-2022, 09:13 AM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...seat-back.html

See post # 3 - worked for me....

Get notified of new replies

To Loose Seat Back??

Quick Reply: Loose Seat Back??