Sponsored by:

intermittent turn signal operation

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 05:51 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Default intermittent turn signal operation

For the past week or so sometimes my turn signals fail to flash (no dash indicator lights flashing and no clicking of the flasher) and other times they work fine. I know they connect to the hazard signal flasher but that works fine and everytime - both dash lights flash and you can hear it working each time the hazard button is pushed. Is the problem with that flasher and it needs to be replaced, or is the problem in the MFS on the steering column and how do you find out without just replacing parts?
And, I know, who uses turn signals anyway?
Old 06-10-2015, 06:22 PM
Qcksilverc5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrlmd
For the past week or so sometimes my turn signals fail to flash (no dash indicator lights flashing and no clicking of the flasher) and other times they work fine. I know they connect to the hazard signal flasher but that works fine and everytime - both dash lights flash and you can hear it working each time the hazard button is pushed. Is the problem with that flasher and it needs to be replaced, or is the problem in the MFS on the steering column and how do you find out without just replacing parts?
And, I know, who uses turn signals anyway?
Hey, I have a 2001 convertible and I don't know if this helps but I have had the same exact problem with my turn signals. I was actually hitting the dashboard to get them to work right. What I did was get the switch from a Forum Vendor that you connect under the dashboard and that corrected all of my turn signal problems. Do a search in tech section for intermittent turn signals if you haven't already. You might also want to look into the flasher bypass. People use them when they install LED signals to prevent hyperflash). Hope it helps.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:42 PM
Road Runner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

The turn signal is routed thru the hazard switch. Next time try cycling the hazard switch and probably the turn signal will operate just for that occasion. Your options are to replace the switch or install a bypass harness. I opted to replace my switch. Best of luck.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:05 AM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 124 Posts

I recently had the same issue. It is the hazard switch failing. I would switch it on and off and it would work for a while. I finally replaced the switch and all is good.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...placement.html
Old 06-11-2015, 08:00 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

If you have issues with the turn signal on only one side, that would indicate an MF issue. If you have issues with both side it would be the Hazard switch.

Also a Hyperflash mod (and others) only bypasses the turn signal function of the Hazard switch. If your actual Flasher in the Hazard switch is bad you will NOT have the "hazard" function by just installing a Hyperflash.

The reason so many Hazard switches fail is NOT the internal Flasher but the internal contacts that feed it for the turn signal function. A different set of contacts feed the "hazard " function. I can post the schematic for those who can read it. That is why people say when having turn signal issues to try and exercise the Hazard switch by pressing the “hazard” function, thereby helping to swipe the contacts for the turn signals. A temporary fix.

Whenever a “hard/consistent” turn signal issue sets in for either the left or right turn signals it is NOT the hazard switch but the Multifunction switch.

Here are 4 ways to fix a turn signal Hazard switch issue.
1. Remove the console and radio surround bezel and remove and replace the Hazard switch. Cost about $25 for a new switch and can be done in about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Very easy to do, not hard or really complicated.

After removing the console and radio bezel you need to remove the radio. If you look at your replacement switch you will see the 2 green tabs on the top and bottom that lock it in place. You will be able to see the lower one when the radio is removed. Push up on the lower tab with a screwdriver while pressing in on the lower part of the switch and you can release the lower tab. Now the switch should be angled up on the end where the wiring connects. Now take a large flat bladed screw driver and place it at the top of the switch. Give the screwdriver a swift rap with a hammer. DON’T overdo it, just a reasonable hard hit and the switch will just pop out.

How to remove the console and bezel for access to the radio:

http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html

If you have a manual transmission you can totally remove the radio bezel very easily to allow better access. No need to remove the shifter ****. Just pop the shifter boot loose and rotate it and it will allow you to lift the bezel up and over the shift boot and shifter ****.

2. Buy a Hyperflash unit for about $65 and install it under the dash. Just requires removing the Knee bolster. About a 1/2 hour job.

3. Buy a used wiring harness that goes from the steering column to the hazard switch. Remove the knee bolster and unplug the existing one and install the replacement. Then install the new Hazard switch on the other end and just place it under the ignition switch where you can access it if you ever need Hazards. Dash will look stock since the old bad switch is still there. Cost is 25$ for switch and about 25$ for used harness. Takes the same time as installing a Hyperflash unit.

Here is info on the wiring harness:

GM P/N 12163776

http://www.corvetterecycling.com/product-p/233776.htm

4. Lastly, this is what I did. A relocation similar to #3 but I used the process in #1 to move the existing wiring harness to beneath the ignition switch where I placed a new Hazard switch. I then reinstalled the old Hazard switch in the dash for a stock appearance.

Here is a link for relocation:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...elocation.html
Old 06-11-2015, 09:59 AM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

I just ordered a new hazard switch from Rockauto instead of putting in a bypass relay like was suggested elsewhere. Amazing how for the same item from different vendors the price can vary from $18.39 to $44.59, so shop around a little. I'm probably going to try it from below as in the link in post #4 above, and while I have that bottom bolster off, try and drop the steering column and remove the gauge cluster to finally replace one of the bulbs in the upper right of the cluster that fell out on the floor. I have been putting this off forever but now that I have some excuse to take it apart, I'll go a little further and finally do the other job (maybe).
Thanks all for your help.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:06 AM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Good post dadaroo !!
Old 06-11-2015, 10:29 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlmd
I just ordered a new hazard switch from Rockauto instead of putting in a bypass relay like was suggested elsewhere. Amazing how for the same item from different vendors the price can vary from $18.39 to $44.59, so shop around a little. I'm probably going to try it from below as in the link in post #4 above, and while I have that bottom bolster off, try and drop the steering column and remove the gauge cluster to finally replace one of the bulbs in the upper right of the cluster that fell out on the floor. I have been putting this off forever but now that I have some excuse to take it apart, I'll go a little further and finally do the other job (maybe).
Thanks all for your help.
Understand, in my relocation I could not get the connector off at the switch. Maybe you can. I had to remove the switch to be able to remove the connector. I then put the old switch back in the dash for the OE look. I removed the old switch using method 1 above.

If you have any issues just let me know.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:09 PM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

Hazard switch - had the same problem on my '00 FRC - it was hair-raising driving around when sometimes they would work and other times not!

Get notified of new replies

To intermittent turn signal operation

Quick Reply: intermittent turn signal operation