Sponsored by:

Profiled!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 12:04 PM
bad455ta
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Profiled!!!

Cruising northbound 35E this morning (DFW) and whipped around a truck hauling a bunch of junk and slowed down to the speed limit when I noticed a cop cruising ahead. My radar was not going off so I was in the clear but the cop was going about 5 below the speed limit so I eventually caught up and passed him. (I was doing 1 MPH below) He got behind me and flipped his lights as soon as I got to the next exit. SHE, said she pulled me over because my paper plate was flipped up. I think she saw me pull out behind the truck and slow down then decided to just give this young guy in a Vette a hard time since she seemed to be training someone. I didnt get a ticket since I wasnt doing anything wrong...maybe it wasnt profiling, maybe she wanted to check out my car.

About a month ago I got pulled over because I was "only 2 car lengths behind the car in front of you and at the posted speed limit (60) you need to be 6 car lengths behind, it's 1 car length for every 10 mph"
It was on a country road with quite a bit of traffic so I'm sure I wasnt the only one following that "close". After he checked me out he said, "nice car" and let me go.

That time I definitely got profiled.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:26 PM
usgecko
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14

Maybe buy a Prius?
Old 06-22-2015, 12:42 PM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by bad455ta
Cruising northbound 35E this morning (DFW) and whipped around a truck hauling a bunch of junk and slowed down to the speed limit when I noticed a cop cruising ahead. My radar was not going off so I was in the clear but the cop was going about 5 below the speed limit so I eventually caught up and passed him. (I was doing 1 MPH below) He got behind me and flipped his lights as soon as I got to the next exit. SHE, said she pulled me over because my paper plate was flipped up. I think she saw me pull out behind the truck and slow down then decided to just give this young guy in a Vette a hard time since she seemed to be training someone. I didnt get a ticket since I wasnt doing anything wrong...maybe it wasnt profiling, maybe she wanted to check out my car.

About a month ago I got pulled over because I was "only 2 car lengths behind the car in front of you and at the posted speed limit (60) you need to be 6 car lengths behind, it's 1 car length for every 10 mph"
It was on a country road with quite a bit of traffic so I'm sure I wasnt the only one following that "close". After he checked me out he said, "nice car" and let me go.

That time I definitely got profiled.
You and everyone else who thinks they are something to be noticed just because of the car they drive. It's not all about you or your car. When you disregard the traffic laws expect there will be consequences. Profiling is not a consequence it's an excuse. Drive safe out there.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:53 PM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Avoid them when/where possible. Many LEO's do not have the best of intentions.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:08 PM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Water_Walker
Avoid them when/where possible. Many LEO's do not have the best of intentions.
Pretty bold statement there. Sounds like you are generalizing based on a few bad apples. I'd be willing to wager that the majority are decent and have no ill intentions.

OP - Was your paper plate attached properly? Was/is it impossible for it to flip up as the officer said? If not then she may have been telling the truth. Then again if she saw you erratically move around the truck she may have "profiled" you because of said erratic behavior. No ill intentions just doing her job.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Most LEO's here in SA are former military police pr!(ks with a deprived younger life....

But that's just my opinion.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:10 PM
Torch Rot Z
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinister-one
Most LEO's here in SA are former military police pr!(ks with a deprived younger life....

But that's just my opinion.
Agreed.

But I also agree with 'do the crime, pay the fine.' Sometimes, you gotta pay to play.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:16 PM
RLDaily
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

And we have a probel with civilian cops that were MP's?
Attached Images   
Old 06-22-2015, 02:19 PM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Maybe she just wanted to get into your pants.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:35 PM
Torch Rot Z
Racer

Originally Posted by Fast Cop
Maybe she just wanted to get into your pants.
I think she did too.....specifically, one of your rear pockets.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:43 PM
rocknroller
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never had a problem with the law in my Vette, ever. I guess that proves most LEO's are decent folks.

See, I can do it too. :-)
Old 06-22-2015, 02:46 PM
bad455ta
Racer

Default Profiled!!!

Look at what I started!
Just like anything else, some cops have good intentions and some dont...but you can't tell me that cops don't profile. They look at me when I'm in my Vette differently then the old man in the Caddy and then harder more at the black kid with 26" rims on his Caddy.
To say or suggest otherwise is ignorant.
I'm Latino and it doesn't happen often but it happens. Doesn't really bother me much, I know I'm attracting the attention.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:55 PM
Torch Rot Z
Racer

It's all good, we're on a public forum, no one gets butt hurt here.

...oh wait.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:07 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Sounds like the cops in your area are into the let's fight, us against them cop mentality instead of using the paid training provided with the job to promote a higher quality of life for all, which is why I pay my taxes.

I get stopped with a lot of excuses. When I was a kid, they used to say that I looked like a guy they were looking for that had a rifle. I believed that, the first time.

A lot of my conflict seems to be haircut related. Some of the cops here are removed from the people they police , they don't know surfers ride bikes and are not fully driven by the gillette look. Plus you keep the bike shabby so it is not stolen as often.

Get a long haired guy out late on a bike and a cop with personal conflicts about his authority, and they want to resolve these issues with someone they see as strange, or other, a person with a weaker position in society. They wouldn't be pulling over a Senator. I don't get pulled over in the vette.

Times change. I was raised that the police were my friend, and they were, to my thinking. Now, gun, and all, violence is glorified, any small situation might become a shoot out, society itself is divided by the media, for profit. Cops respond to the danger with violence over training , it is more comforting to be a victor than a thinker.

I was worried I was going to be shot when I got pulled over, just for bike riding on a sidewalk, the same ride I've done all my life. I've been in some danger in my life, and felt the situation for me could easily become dire, from other experience in tight situations.

Now I avoid cops, they are no longer my friends. I see them as people who seek to impose power over those they perceive as lesser, not as a tool of social responsibility for the good of all .
Old 06-22-2015, 04:11 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Two operant mentions . . . ."whipped around.." and "paper (license) plate flipped up.

Good PC either way. If you'd just had your Vette stolen, you might want the cops to give that one a look . . .just sayin'.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:49 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Was she at least hot?
Old 06-22-2015, 05:50 PM
bad455ta
Racer

Default Profiled!!!

LOL...I wish!

Get notified of new replies

To Profiled!!!

Old 06-22-2015, 05:58 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by bad455ta
Look at what I started!
Just like anything else, some cops have good intentions and some dont...but you can't tell me that cops don't profile. They look at me when I'm in my Vette differently then the old man in the Caddy and then harder more at the black kid with 26" rims on his Caddy.
To say or suggest otherwise is ignorant.
I'm Latino and it doesn't happen often but it happens. Doesn't really bother me much, I know I'm attracting the attention.

Soooooo, everyone who disagrees with you, is ignorant ?

That, is not the way, to open a discussion, and get feedback from other members, who may or may not agree with your point of view.

If you ask a question, let them answer. Then, respectfully disagree if you must, with a rational explanation of your thoughts.

I enjoy reading these things, input from all, lively discussions; until somebody turns it into a 'verbal fistfight', because someone else dare to have a different opinion.

If you are so thin-skinned you can't 'handle different opinions from your own', maybe this is not your thing. Because here, people Will have different thoughts on these and many matters, to be sure... And that, (having a different opinion) should not be a reason to be ridiculed and insulted!

Don
Old 06-22-2015, 07:00 PM
CorvetteBob52
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

I had a highway patrol pull me over and asked me if I was in a hurry ( I was doing the exact speed limit 65 mph ) I answered no why , I wasn't speeding was I ? And he said No you wer'nt I just pulled you over to check out your car if you don't mind, That's why I asked you if you were in a hurry. I finally got my breath back now knowing I wasn't being pulled over for any infractions. Turns out that he was a fellow C5 vette owner and wanted to check mine out, It all ended up fine and dandy but it about gave me a heart attack getting pulled over!! Here is my "99 Vert Vette

Last edited by CorvetteBob52; 06-22-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:27 PM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteBob52
I had a highway patrol pull me over and asked me if I was in a hurry ( I was doing the exact speed limit 65 mph ) I answered no why , I wasn't speeding was I ? And he said No you wer'nt I just pulled you over to check out your car if you don't mind, That's why I asked you if you were in a hurry. I finally got my breath back now knowing I wasn't being pulled over for any infractions. Turns out that he was a fellow C5 vette owner and wanted to check mine out, It all ended up fine and dandy but it about gave me a heart attack getting pulled over!! Here is my "99 Vert Vette

Wish I had a nickel for every "the cop pulled me over to check out my car" post. I'd be hangin out in the C7 forum.

Quick Reply: Profiled!!!