Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver height including shifter...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 09:53 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Driver height including shifter...

I've read a few posts where people have test driven a Corvette and simply found the car too small. Seemed to be 6'-3" or over to me...
I thought about this because my wife drove my car to meet a GF last night. After she got back she mentioned how she really is too small for my car... (she's just under 5'-2"). Main issue she has is visibility, pedals and shifter location are OK.
My BIL drove my car just after I bought it, at 6'-3" he was definitely a squeeze. I'm 5'-9" and feel the car is pretty much perfect for my height. Thinking the ideal driver would be 5'-7" to 6'-0" to fit just right and be comfy for longer hauls. Thoughts?
Also makes me think of the shifter, almost the main point of this post. Having a 31" inseam I end up sitting pretty close to the wheel. With the best steering and pedal feel the stock shifter is just about perfect; if anything already too close.
I could not go with a C6 shifter and it's rear tilted shaft due to this. Anybody else my height similar? Anybody try the C6 shifter and not like it due to the rear bend? Thinking one day I might move to an MGW or Hurst instead, even if they are a bit costly.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:08 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

I'm 6 foot 2 and have tons of room. The stock shifter was alright for me but a bit too high, not really bad enough that I ever needed to change it, but I got a steal on a B&M so I did it knowing I could get my money back if I didn't like it. That being said I absolutely love it, I knew I couldn't do the c6 shifter for the same reason you said, my friend had one and its angle annoyed me.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:19 AM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm 6'2", 34" inseam. I don't have the seat all the way back, there is still a little left. I did have to recline the seat to have decent visibility, otherwise it feels a bit claustrophobic.

No issues with the shifter position, it feels natural to me. I can find it without looking.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:56 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lazarus Long
I'm 6'2", 34" inseam. I don't have the seat all the way back, there is still a little left. I did have to recline the seat to have decent visibility, otherwise it feels a bit claustrophobic.

No issues with the shifter position, it feels natural to me. I can find it without looking.
You have a long torso for your height, makes sense. My BIL was also ~270 at the time, so I get why he was cramped feeling...
Old 06-25-2015, 12:40 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

These cars are mass produced and built for the masses. The cannot cater to real short or tall people for the price. I am 6'2" and feel totally comfortable with the interior unlike almost all sports cars I have ever tried. Congrats to GM for building the Corvette for the average North American male. Probably offended someone...oh well.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:08 PM
VettesGoneWild
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
I've read a few posts where people have test driven a Corvette and simply found the car too small. Seemed to be 6'-3" or over to me...
I thought about this because my wife drove my car to meet a GF last night. After she got back she mentioned how she really is too small for my car... (she's just under 5'-2"). Main issue she has is visibility, pedals and shifter location are OK.
My BIL drove my car just after I bought it, at 6'-3" he was definitely a squeeze. I'm 5'-9" and feel the car is pretty much perfect for my height. Thinking the ideal driver would be 5'-7" to 6'-0" to fit just right and be comfy for longer hauls. Thoughts?
Also makes me think of the shifter, almost the main point of this post. Having a 31" inseam I end up sitting pretty close to the wheel. With the best steering and pedal feel the stock shifter is just about perfect; if anything already too close.
I could not go with a C6 shifter and it's rear tilted shaft due to this. Anybody else my height similar? Anybody try the C6 shifter and not like it due to the rear bend? Thinking one day I might move to an MGW or Hurst instead, even if they are a bit costly.
I'm 5'8 with a 30" inseam and sit closer than I would prefer to the steering wheel (wish I had the telescoping option) so as to have pedal reach. I have the C6 Z06 shifter from 2008 and it's shaft is straight and is all in all just the right reach for me and comfortable. Not sure if other C6 shifter years are different.
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2015, 01:20 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VettesGoneWild
I'm 5'8 with a 30" inseam and sit closer than I would prefer to the steering wheel (wish I had the telescoping option) so as to have pedal reach. I have the C6 Z06 shifter from 2008 and it's shaft is straight and is all in all just the right reach for me and comfortable. Not sure if other C6 shifter years are different.
Interesting on the shifter. The ones I see advertised here show a rear bend...
Old 06-25-2015, 01:31 PM
VettesGoneWild
Racer

Interesting on the shifter. The ones I see advertised here show a rear bend...
I ordered this one new from Bob at Rimrock Chevrolet. When speaking with him, this was the year and model he said he would ship. Very pleased with the throw and overall action and feel.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:02 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

6'4" here, and 270lbs. I've never felt cramped while driving my Z. Has more room than my '03 Mach 1 had, actually. Far more room then my dad's '08 Carrera S.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:19 PM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

You have a long torso for your height, makes sense. My BIL was also ~270 at the time, so I get why he was cramped feeling...
I'm somewhat short torso, my height is more in my legs. Usually my biggest challenge with cars is legroom. I have a convertible, so I don't know how that headroom compares with a coupe. I just know that unless I recline the seat, I feel like I have to duck to see out the windshield.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:08 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I'm 6'0" and have a 32" inseam. The C5 fits me perfectly as does the shifter. There is quite a bit of adjustment to the seats, especially if they are the sport seats.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:33 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Like the OP, I am 5'9", and I can achieve the "Italian" position (no, not that) with the seat such that pedal operation is easy, and my arms are straight(ish). I use a lot of rake on the seat back and some tilt on the seat itself. My wife who is also 5' 2" can't drive it. She likes to sit more upright (better vision), and by the time her feet are on the pedals, she is is pretty much up against the wheel.

I did try a shortened C6 shifter set up, but found the shift **** was just a bit too far back to be comfortable due to the bend in the lever. I replaced it with a shortened version of my old C5 shifter - threaded it down to the insulator and cut a chunk off the top - then used the Hurst **** that came with the C6 set up. I find it just about perfect. It's in the right place, and the shifts are shorter. With new tranny fluid, not a high effort shift either.

I did ask a dealer one time about the telescoping column (I was contemplating getting a later model at the time), but he seemed to think all it did was allow you to bring the wheel closer to you, as against being able to move it further away. Perhaps someone can confirm?

Last edited by jackthelad; 06-25-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:51 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Like the OP, I am 5'9", and I can achieve the "Italian" position (no, not that) with the seat such that pedal operation is easy, and my arms are straight(ish). I use a lot of rake on the seat back and some tilt on the seat itself. My wife who is also 5' 2" can't drive it. She likes to sit more upright (better vision), and by the time her feet are on the pedals, she is is pretty much up against the wheel.

I did try a shortened C6 shifter set up, but found the shift **** was just a bit too far back to be comfortable due to the bend in the lever. I replaced it with a shortened version of my old C5 shifter - threaded it down to the insulator and cut a chunk off the top - then used the Hurst **** that came with the C6 set up. I find it just about perfect. It's in the right place, and the shifts are shorter. With new tranny fluid, not a high effort shift either.

I did ask a dealer one time about the telescoping column (I was contemplating getting a later model at the time), but he seemed to think all it did was allow you to bring the wheel closer to you, as against being able to move it further away. Perhaps someone can confirm?
It's funny to watch my wife in the car... same thing, pretty much right up to the wheel. When I get in her van, and I am only 5'-9", I can barely get in, always sit side-saddle, move the seat back, then get in.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:54 PM
VettesGoneWild
Racer

Default C6 shifter parts, part numbers

In case anyone is interested for the shifter pictured in my earlier post on this thread, with the straight shaft, here are the numbers which were on my receipt.

11571034 SL-N-Bolt (04006-CK)
25823572 SL-N-Control (04004-C)
25900711 SL-N-Boot (04015-C)
25945072 SL-N-**** (04006-C)
Old 06-27-2015, 12:34 AM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

5'11 and about 340 lbs. here. (I know, I'm a fat bastard) Anyway with the seat belt extender I'm perfectly comfortable in the car. I can drive for hours with no problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Driver height including shifter...

Quick Reply: Driver height including shifter...