Sponsored by:

San Antonio TX

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 10:17 AM
slvr bulit
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Default San Antonio TX

I'm going to San Antonio in a few weeks for a few days. Any one care to suggest a few things to see or restaurants or bars to visit?
Old 10-08-2015, 11:01 AM
ttiros
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts

Go to River Walk, plenty of restaurants and shopping.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:03 AM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by slvr bulit
I'm going to San Antonio in a few weeks for a few days. Any one care to suggest a few things to see or restaurants or bars to visit?
Our favorite restaurant was La Fogata on Vance Jackson, between I-10
and 410, when we lived there. If you like burgers, I really liked Chester's,
which is on I-10 north (or west...) almost to 1604.

The River Walk is cool if you've never been there before. Plenty of bars and restaurants there as well.

Sea World if you have kids, and of course, there is always The Alamo to check out.

Enjoy the trip. You are coming at a great time of year for the weather!

Old 10-08-2015, 11:32 AM
slvr bulit
Drifting

Thanks guys. Actually staying on the river walk so as long as we are walking distance from the bars and a good Mexican restaurant it will be a great time.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:43 AM
v98roadie
Trucker
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Go to the old bar at the Menger Hotel. It's where Teddy Roosevelt recruited Rough Riders. Historic place.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:44 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

You'll be good as long as you're around the river walk. You can go on a ghost tour that begins at the Alamo which is pretty cool. Even if you don't believe in that stuff, the history explained in the tour is worth it. Are you going alone or with family? There is a six flags, sea world and other stuff depending on what you want to do. If you just want some drinks and good food, then you're covered at the river walk.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:58 AM
slvr bulit
Drifting

No kids, just a little adult time for a few days.

Go to the old bar at the Menger Hotel. It's where Teddy Roosevelt recruited Rough Riders. Historic place.
Is this close to the river walk?
Old 10-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Yes the Menger is there. The founder of the King Ranch liked it so much he lived his final days there. Lots of good history and supposedly haunted if you google it.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:12 PM
slvr bulit
Drifting

Yep, I googled it. definitely put it on my list The weather should be nice enough to spend a little time by the pool as well.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:05 AM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I lived there for four years and I'm sad to say that there is nothing I would go back to see again. The Alamo is a joke, nothing to see there. The River Walk is ok, I hope there is some water in the river, if not, you got mud and trash. You can go to the Tower of Americas and look out over the city, fun to do one time but that's about it.

SA is a border town so it is full of Mexicans who have slipped across the border. I hope you speak Spanish. Don't go out at night on the south side or the south west side of downtown, take my word on this.

There are plenty of "authentic" mexican restaurants to eat at all over the place. Not a big fan of "authentic" mexican food. Tex Mex is way better.

I hope I didn't bum you out with this post but the truth is the truth, and SA just flat sucked for me. After four years I couldn't stand it any longer and we moved to Dallas.

Last edited by scarecrowkc5; 10-09-2015 at 10:09 PM. Reason: I needed to amend the text. I love Texas and SA is just another place in Texas.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by scarecrowkc5
I lived there for four years and I'm sad to say that there is nothing I would go back to see again. The Alamo is a joke, nothing to see there. The River Walk is ok, I hope there is some water in the river, if not, you got mud and trash. You can go to the Tower of Americas and look out over the city, fun to do one time but that's about it.

SA is a border town so it is full of Mexicans who have slipped across the border. I hope you speak Spanish. Don't go out at night on the south side or the south west side of downtown, take my word on this.

There a plenty of "authentic" mexican restaurants to eat at all over the place. Not a big fan of "authentic" mexican food. Tex Mex is way better.

I hope I didn't bum you out with this post but the truth is the truth, and SA just flat sucks. After four years I couldn't stand it any longer and we moved to Dallas.
Obviously you have a problem with us latinos (Mexicans)....... Trust me, we're also GALD you left.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:39 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Go to "18 Oaks" restaurant.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:52 AM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Obviously you have a problem with us latinos (Mexicans)

Read into it whatever you want but you couldn't be further from the truth.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:15 AM
slvr bulit
Drifting

Go to "18 Oaks" restaurant
Thanks for the recommendation.

There a plenty of "authentic" mexican restaurants to eat at all over the place. Not a big fan of "authentic" mexican food. Tex Mex is way better.
Thanks for the heads up scarecrow. Plan to be safe and more than likely will be on riverwalk at night anyways.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:57 PM
v98roadie
Trucker
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

San Antonio is like any other big city. I've never heard it referred to as a border town before and I've never thought of it as a border town if that matters. There are great places and there are areas you probably ought to avoid. I grew up in southeast Dallas and I still go to the "Grove" to visit old friends and hangouts but I wouldn't recommend it to tourists or people that didn't come from the area. That being said I love San Antone, have family and friends there and many fond memories of good times. You'll find whatever it is you're looking for. Have fun.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:57 PM
Crussader
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Casa Rio Mexican restaurant on the Riverwalk has been a favorite of mine for 40 years.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:57 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by v98roadie
San Antonio is like any other big city. I've never heard it referred to as a border town before and I've never thought of it as a border town if that matters. There are great places and there are areas you probably ought to avoid. I grew up in southeast Dallas and I still go to the "Grove" to visit old friends and hangouts but I wouldn't recommend it to tourists or people that didn't come from the area. That being said I love San Antone, have family and friends there and many fond memories of good times. You'll find whatever it is you're looking for. Have fun.

Born and raised here in SA.

Get notified of new replies

To San Antonio TX

Old 10-09-2015, 11:34 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

loved san antonio when i lived there in mid 80s, lived close to lackland afb, but there is some truth about southside and crime i am told is still true, BUT not because it is hispanic, which most of san antonio is, but rather just some bad neighborhoods which every city or town has, large or small and that you can take to the bank. alamo is history so if you expect something flashy you will be disappointed, same for missions as they are history but i loved all of them, alamo, riverwalk etc. enjoy you trip and use common sense about going places and you will be fine and have a great time. i am going end of this month. Oh, san antonio is NOT a border town....look at a map.

Last edited by LT1driver; 10-09-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:50 AM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Just let me know when you're in town and I can point you in the right directions or this Mescan and his wife can meet up with you and show you around.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:14 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

The river walk boat tour is worth the $8. The taxi drivers are knowledgable and they have some very cool facts and history about the area.

http://riosanantonio.mymobilebuilder...urs/168707/36/

Quick Reply: San Antonio TX