Sponsored by:

Keep Procharged C5 or go C6 or C7?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 09:46 PM
Johnny Hardcore
Melting Slicks

Received 908 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
Hey, Johnny, a blower is the way I'd go, if I had it to do over again. I've always been an N/A guy. I've learned a lot thru the years. Now that I'm older, reliability is more important than ever before, and I feel that forced induction offers more reliability, within reason.
Agreed. I was really fortunate in my last NA build going so many years/ miles without one hiccup. Not a single one. Forged is the only way to go.

Blew a few diffs, but the motor treated me well. My only regret going FI is that I waited so long to do it. Car is much more satisfying to drive FI. Even with all the added power on tap she drives as smoothly as a stock C5 when I want it to.

Glad the OP kept us in the know on the outcome. This crew loves a happy ending.
The following 3 users liked this post by Johnny Hardcore:
MWWarlord (12-22-2021), Rustydawg (12-24-2021), Toys4Life C5 (12-22-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 10:34 AM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,112 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

II'm glad to hear that he kept the C5, and is happy with it. I had a choice between supercharging my C5 and buying a C7. I picked the C5. I don't regret it. If I had already supercharged the C5, it wouldn't have even been a choice. Keep the C5. I do want a C8, but I don't think I'll ever sell my C5.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:40 PM
sirguy01
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think C5 and C6 are probably the last of the " quality" builds. If you actually strip them down the C5 and C6 have a lot of quality components. Unfortunately for the C7 it went super China with a lot of their components. You can ask any person in the industry the quality of these new cars not like the old. I was debating keeping my supercharged c5 or get a c8 z06. When the dealer told me 30k down NON refundable and no end in sight I just used some of the money for a 427, TT and some drivetrain goodies. If the ZR1's weren't priced out of their minds that would be the only car I'd consider switching to but my car will be going in early next year for a big operation and I'm looking forward to it!

In regards to reliability, I've never had an issue with my blower except some belt chirp. My car has been Supercharged for 12 years? Simple A and A Si + smaller pulley, flip drive, IW 10% OD, small cam 220/230 + valve springs retainers, pushrods, lifters, trunion, LS9 headgasket + headstuds, c5r timing chain, long tubes, catless xpipe + oem TI. Snow water meth single nozzle. Made 700 rwhp on stock LS6 and all I do is send it when I drive this car.

I think if you are mindful on how you build your car you can get some reliability but this is strictly a pay to play hobby if you expect otherwise you need to pick a new hobby.

Quick Reply: Keep Procharged C5 or go C6 or C7?