Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] My "fix the small things" winter build

Old 02-19-2016, 08:15 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Default My "fix the small things" winter build

After my wallet shattering FI build followed by transmission build, I drove the car a bunch and loved it. The more I drove it, the more I noticed the little things because I wasn't focusing on power anymore. The suspension was a back breaker, car was too low (blower lowered it more due to weight), seat foam destroyed, headlights sucked, radio had no aux for my phone.

This winter I decided to stay mostly budget friendly and solve those issues. Some were gifts, so it helped the wallet.

Headlights : RadioFlyer ACA [not installed]

Seats: New foam with support kit [in progress]

Suspension: [installed] Viking double adjustable shocks - Excellent sale on Ebay one day. Also raised the front 3.5 turns, still retains proper rake but I'll check it after some miles.

Installed, very easy

Rad shroud: [not installed] The original rad shroud with the ECS kit was junk, they since released a new one and I picked it up. Has proper radiator support and a nice looking shroud. Not necessary, but what the hell.

Radio: I was going to wire in an aux port, but then I looked at single din units on crutchfield. All of my music is on my phone, I don't need a cd player. Turns out the entire kit for my car was only $131, so I pulled the trigger on it. Should be here Monday.

Sound and heat: [installed] I wanted to hear my radio a bit more, vettenuts should be the solution. The plan is to road trip the car a lot this year (NCM, SCT Indy, Carlisle, Cedar Point) so I wanted to lessen the interior noise and keep some heat out.

Mostly installed already

I plan on working on it slowly the next couple weeks, having a new born slows me down a bit
Old 02-19-2016, 01:36 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Jealous!

I really like those headlights and am in need of an audio upgrade as well. I'm dumping some cash in a month or so to have LT's installed/tuned along w/ getting the TB ported.....so may have to wait on the next round!

Good luck, can't wait to see how those lights turn out!

Last edited by C5Dobie; 02-19-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:44 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
Jealous!

I really like those headlights and am in need of an audio upgrade as well. I'm dumping some cash in a month or so to have LT's installed/tuned along w/ getting the TB ported.....so may have to wait on the next round!

Good luck, can't wait to see how those lights turn out!
Thanks! What LTs are you going with? Getting a tune? I wish the Hinson headers were around when I was shopping.

The lights were the most expensive piece, but I am very excited about them. I'll make sure to take pics and some video once they are installed.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:31 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Originally Posted by nullpointer
Thanks! What LTs are you going with? Getting a tune? I wish the Hinson headers were around when I was shopping.

The lights were the most expensive piece, but I am very excited about them. I'll make sure to take pics and some video once they are installed.
ARH headers....custom dyno tune & install by Slowhawk in MA, for what I could buy the headers for vs. what the tuner offers for install + headers through them it made more sense to do have them do the whole thing soup to nuts.

Hinson headers are good price but not good quality...you live in NY? While I'm sure you don't drive in the winter months, still possibility for residual salt on the roads in spring and the constant extreme fluctuations of temp/moisture will have an impact on the oxidization process of the headers (even coated, on the inside particularly on the collectors really tough to get a good full ceramic coating- so when parking the car after a long drive in the spring or fall, in 50 degree weather a lot of condensation just pools in the headers and will fast forward the oxidization process - less of a concern in other climates, but nonetheless worth noting).

While the hinson headers are advertised as "stainless steel" - and have a ceramic coating, there's a reason - they NEED the ceramic coating because they're not really "stainless" - they're 400 series chrome steel (no NI or MO content, not heat treated), and all the associated connection pipes are aluminized steel (real junk) - just an FYI.

ARH, Stainless works, Kooks, LG, these are all heat treated 304L stainless steel, fully mandrel bent (as few welds as possible - and the welds that are there are top notch) - no real need for ceramic coating.

Given the $$$$ you have put into your car already, and the quality pieces, no way in hell would I put those headers on.

Last edited by C5Dobie; 02-19-2016 at 02:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by C5Dobie:
Sam Handwich (08-01-2016), SteveDoten (02-19-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 03:34 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

I haven't look too much into the Hinsons other than a quick glance, as I don't need them. Good to know about the material being used, I assumed it was the same composition as ARH/Kooks. Make sure to post results once your car is tuned
Old 02-19-2016, 04:03 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

I haven't look too much into the Hinsons other than a quick glance, as I don't need them. Good to know about the material being used, I assumed it was the same composition as ARH/Kooks. Make sure to post results once your car is tuned
Yeah no worries, figured you didn't know that- they're not very forthcoming on the material construction. Melrose is in the same boat.

You pay for what you get....plus since you have a supercharger I would't use Hinson anyhow b/c I don't think they offer anything but 1-3/4" I would think you want the 1-7/8" or even 2" - more flow more power baby!
Old 02-20-2016, 10:48 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Interior carpet, kick panels back in.
Waiting to re-install center console until after the radio comes on Monday.

Forgot to add this yesterday, I also installed the new rad brackets.

Last edited by nullpointer; 02-21-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:12 AM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

great projects!

C5Dobie.....have you though about doing exhaust cutouts while you are at it? Next time I do exhaust....I will do this ......would be very cool to have.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:57 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
great projects!

C5Dobie.....have you though about doing exhaust cutouts while you are at it? Next time I do exhaust....I will do this ......would be very cool to have.
Nah I do think they're cool but I'd just end up getting myself in trouble w/ them and making enemies of my neighbors lol!

It's "loud" enough for a stock car, the headers will add to the tone and loudness factor- keeping the stock TI catback in place, I have had LOUD setups before on other cars and not my intention w/ this one....I know the cutouts are an on/off deal, but I'd rather put my $$ toward other stuff....the radioflyer headlights for one!!!

OP - would love to see some pics - or better yet a vid- once the install is done.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:10 PM
Atrain59
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I really like that rad shroud. I just bought my ECS 2200 kit last summer and did not get this. I'll have to get one for sure. How much was it?
Old 02-26-2016, 02:58 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Atrain59
I really like that rad shroud. I just bought my ECS 2200 kit last summer and did not get this. I'll have to get one for sure. How much was it?
$165-ish shipped
Old 02-26-2016, 02:59 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
OP - would love to see some pics - or better yet a vid- once the install is done.
Anything specific or just a video showing driving noise inside the cabin, and exhaust from the outside? I'll make one once the snow melts.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:00 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Radio is loosely installed to test the wiring. Need to secure the wires, connect antenna and mic, then re-install interior.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:17 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Anything specific or just a video showing driving noise inside the cabin, and exhaust from the outside? I'll make one once the snow melts.
Yeah I'm curious how it sounds w/ the blower & how good the radio sounds w/ the sound deadening & upgrades
Old 03-01-2016, 11:38 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Hi from another local, car looks sweet, I read through your blower build thread and enjoyed it. Maybe I'll see you at a cars and coffee or something this summer.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:38 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Here is how the blower sounds from the outside, I purposely whacked the throttle for those sweet TialQ sounds.

The following users liked this post:
blackmachdown (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 11:40 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Originally Posted by nsogiba
Hi from another local, car looks sweet, I read through your blower build thread and enjoyed it. Maybe I'll see you at a cars and coffee or something this summer.
Thanks! I wanted to put more detail into it but I got impatient Always nice to meet a local! I'll be at the Cars n Coffee in Orchard Park once they start them up again. Stop by and say hi

Get notified of new replies

To My "fix the small things" winter build

Old 03-10-2016, 01:02 AM
Jason Zajac
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Figured there would be more HP in here somewhere?
Old 03-10-2016, 07:20 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jason Zajac
Figured there would be more HP in here somewhere?
3.125" pulley and a re-tune if I lose or don't trap high enough
Old 03-11-2016, 08:58 PM
Tj Pal
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default See you in OP

TR04Z Live nearby. I'll be looking forward to seeing your car when the cruises start.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] My "fix the small things" winter build