Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 vette won't start after auto to manual swap!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 11:21 AM
Calderon209
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 vette won't start after auto to manual swap!!

So I just completed a auto to manual swap on my 99 corvette. Now I'm trying to start it and it won't start. It turns over, stays on for like 1 second then shuts off. I have spark, it's got air and we sprayed ether on the intake and it stayed in until we ran out. Anyone know why it's not getting fuel? The fuel pump primes when I turn the key.

If you have any suggestions text me or reply in here. 209-269-9543
Old 03-17-2016, 11:28 AM
vettpapaw
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

When the shop that changed my rear diff, they had the same problem. After much checking we found out that it was part of the security system. The system was getting info that the car was being stolen or stripped. They had to call GM to get a code to reset the computer. It fired right after that. Hope this helps...you might want to post this in the tech section also..

Last edited by vettpapaw; 03-17-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:13 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Ive seen this issue SEVERAL times in the past 6 months. The very first thing that I would check are the engine grounds. Sounds silly but this ONE wire can and WILL cause ALL of what you are seeing.

Take a very careful look at the engine ground G-106 on the passengers side of the block above the starter.

It mounts UNDER the MAIN NEGATIVE BATTERY GROUND WIRE on the block. Its a ONE WIRE (Black/white stripe) eyelet and it SHOULD be mounted like this:

You also need to make sure that the ground is attached on the back of the passengers head:

There is another ground wire on the drivers side of the block (mirror location as G-106) that needs to be connected.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To 99 vette won't start after auto to manual swap!!

Quick Reply: 99 vette won't start after auto to manual swap!!