Sponsored by:

Blackwing intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 07:59 AM
Silverwolf_pup
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Blackwing intake?

I was thinking of getting the blackwing intake, is it worth getting? Will I see and feel a difference from stock? I can get it for $206 on Colorado speed. I wanted something of good quality and not spend a fortune, and that I can install myself with no problems. Thanks Pup
Old 05-11-2016, 08:20 AM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Had one on my 00 vert 6 speed. By itself did not notice a mojor difference but with the long tube headers, high flow cats x-pipe Z06 Ti axle back and a tune from Chuck COW noticed a real difference. If you are planning on some more mods down the line this is a good place to start.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:46 AM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

Try a search...there are tons of intake threads..as well as ideas and thoughts on people's opinions of intakes In general.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:23 AM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

If you have or are going to do other engine mods, then you'll need the Blackwing or other CAI. If you're stock, it won't make any noticeable difference.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:50 AM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Got one as one of my first mods...as everone said, it's a gateway mod. As far as install, I could have done it in my sleep....
Old 05-11-2016, 11:27 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Added one to mine, my only other mod is a Corsa catback. I didn't notice and difference.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:27 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverwolf_pup
I was thinking of getting the blackwing intake, is it worth getting? Will I see and feel a difference from stock? I can get it for $206 on Colorado speed. I wanted something of good quality and not spend a fortune, and that I can install myself with no problems. Thanks Pup
Because these cars have no radiator intake, the center spoiler grabs the air and pushes it up
to the radiator.
I got a Haltech STINGER, as it was called back when I bought it. They have the same thing now just using a different name. It has a very large surface area for maximum air intake.
I went beyond just attaching it to replace the stock unit.
I removed the radiator shroud and cut out a section just in front of the filter.
I put a mesh metal screen in front of the hole to avoid any debris to clog the filter as fast. The screen just needs to be under the filter. After that I installed a scoop under the mesh screen to grab the air. This is a perfect design for these cars
It would be the same thing as using a hood scoop like most other cars would use, except this isn’t visible. I don’t know if they still do, but I followed very detailed instructions on their site. They may not have those instructions up front now.
They want people to see it, say it takes minutes to install and you’re on your way. I would ask them for those instructions and I’m pretty sure they will give them to you.
If they don’t have them it’s a pretty easy thing to do as I just described,

if I made any sense.

I saw a C5 at a car show with a black wing using my idea. It was basically inferior to the way I built mine
They just cut a hole in the showed in front of the filter and nothing more. Even only doing that is way better than not cutting out a hole.
I would recommend doing the above, a good cat back system and you are maximizing the car to BREATH, which is important.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:31 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Its better than the stock box, but then altering the stock box is another opinion. the only real feeling you will get in the seat of your pants is the psychosomatic one you get from modifying a factory part.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:51 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Its better than the stock box, but then altering the stock box is another opinion. the only real feeling you will get in the seat of your pants is the psychosomatic one you get from modifying a factory part.

I must take exception to that statement.

There is an advantage for every after-market exhaust component.
I don’t believe that psychosomatic is true.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:04 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

You are right, the term psychosomatic should have only been used if your head was in your ***. and since the OP asked for seat of the pants feelings I was wrong.. in any event, anything is better than the stock box, as I said.. but a modified stock box will do as much as a black wing, when combined with a better flowing K&N filter. The Zip tie mod works well, and so does the drilled holes mod..
AS far as every modification??? being an advantage.. Ill point out the Granatelli throttle body that was a big hype here about 12 years ago.. many bought into this hype but after a year + and many blindly following the hype, it was determined that the throttle body actually reduced horse power and torque by 12 to 18 HP. A rep for Granatelli came in here and offered to give anyone their money back for this very poor design. But only after so much heat was placed on them by some of us. Some people put on shorty headers to give the " Look of long tubes " the factory manifolds on a C5 are double walled and actually do a good job, and much better than shorties. there are dozens of these modifications that do nothing but give you the feeling of personal modification.The only thing the really do is lighten your wallet.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 05-11-2016 at 06:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sirdano (05-18-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 06:05 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

You are right, the term psychosomatic should have only been used if your head was in your ***. and since the OP asked for seat of the pants feelings I was wrong.. in any event, anything is better than the stock box, as I said.. but a modified stock box will do as much as a black wing, when combined with a better flowing K&N filter. The Zip tie mod works well, and so does the drilled holes mod..
AS far as every modification??? being an advantage.. Ill point out the Granatelli throttle body that was a big hype here about 12 years ago.. many bought into this hype but after a year + and many blindly following the hype, it was determined that the throttle body actually reduced horse power and torque by 12 to 18 HP. A rep for Granatelli came in here and offered to give anyone their money back for this very poor design. But only after so much heat was placed on them by some of us. Some people put on shorty headers to give the " Look of long tubes " the factory manifolds on a C5 are double walled and actually do a good job, and much better than shorties. there are dozens of these modifications that do nothing but give you the feeling of personal modification.
I should revise what I said;
Not ANY aftermarket piece, the correct aftermarket items.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:31 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

AS far as every modification??? being an advantage.. Ill point out the Granatelli throttle body that was a big hype here about 12 years ago.. many bought into this hype but after a year + and many blindly following the hype, it was determined that the throttle body actually reduced horse power and torque by 12 to 18 HP. A rep for Granatelli came in here and offered to give anyone their money back for this very poor design. But only after so much heat was placed on them by some of us. Some people put on shorty headers to give the " Look of long tubes " the factory manifolds on a C5 are double walled and actually do a good job, and much better than shorties. there are dozens of these modifications that do nothing but give you the feeling of personal modification.The only thing the really do is lighten your wallet.
Here is just 1 example of what I’m talking about. The stock cat back mufflers aren’t more restrictive? Not only does it sound like your grandmothers Buick, using a straight-through design has to make a big difference?

No reason to get nasty in our comments
Old 05-11-2016, 07:15 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Straight through pipes are a negative not a positive, it requires tuned exhaust pulses to scavenge ( suck ) exhaust gases from the combustion chamber. Scavenging sucks air out when the exhaust valve opens.. a necessary principle of exhaust design.. but as I said in another thread.. what you think is logical in your mind is not necessity fact.. I do this for a living.. I just don't think what seems logical with out data to support it.. the redesigned exhaust manifolds are designed specifically to keep the combustion chambers at a steady heat range. Logic and fact are two different animals. Lots of logic found on this forum. . little actually design credentials. GM uses millions of dollars worth of test data to design the 6,000 parts that go into a C5. For example who has access to the 1500 dollar an hour wind tunnel, you can rent GM's for 12,000 dollars day.

Lots of people on this forum have good intentions, and many want only to help. and fall back on what they learned from their grandfather who worked at a dealership back in 1960. Most engineers have to do a minimum of 80 to 120 hours a year distance learning or campus credits to hone their skills in the automotive field and stay relevant.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 05-11-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:08 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

All I’m going for is the sound of the exhaust, that’s it.
I don’t care about anything else

My Vette Life (05-13-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 06:07 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

I have nothing telling in my in my user CP when somebody I said will OR I’M GOING TO SAY WILL SAY.
hhmm, weird, I did not know that
I just notice things I’m interested in. Then I notice I had made posts in that topic.
I will have to agree, there should be no mods or the car or it will not work properly. I know, I blow dry my hair in a wind tunnel.
You should keep every component that is stock. Adding chrome muffler tips are not a positive as well. You need to use the stock mufflers.
No exhaust plate, NOTHING ON THE ENTIRE CAR.
I gave away all of the stock items that I replaced for free.
Now I’m going to find them for sale AND PAY FOR THEM NOW, I’M SUCH AN IDIOT.
I screwed up. The moistest smartest man in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD said so.
BTW, I don’t think he can make a post that isn’t insulting.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:44 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,281 Likes on 13,959 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I have a Blackwing on my car and can't really say I noticed any real performance gain (very slight if any), but it hasn't detracted from the car's performance either. Besides it looks so much better than the stock air box and the install is simple.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:50 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

In December of 2008, East Coast Supercharging ran a dyno test of a Stock base C5 6 speed, and then added a Halltech Venom intake for a comparison.

From 2000 RPM to about 3600 RPM, the Halltech added over 22 foot pounds of torque; from 3600 to 5800 RPM, the gain was close to 30 foot pounds (rear wheel torque).

The latest Halltech is on my to do list.

Page 132, HP Books Chevy LS Engine Buildups

Get notified of new replies

To Blackwing intake?

Old 05-18-2016, 08:57 PM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

Here is a study that someone did with air intakes and what to expect. Kind of goes along with what to spend money on

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...fications.html
Old 05-18-2016, 09:08 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,042 Likes on 2,026 Posts

I have a Blackwing. I like the quality and fit and the look of it under my hood. It is an easy install and looks like it belongs there. I would think it offers some peformance benefit and of all the A/M filters it fits the best and is probably the best at filtering. Keeping the stock filter box and drilling holes in the lid or modifying a 2002-2004 Z06 lid for it, then adding a Donaldson or K&N panel filter is fine as well. These A/M filters are great at one thing, making the people who produce them and sell them very wealthy.
David Shiel (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 01:42 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default I agree

Put BW one on my 01 and could feel absolutely no benefit. Gas mileage stayed the same, and could not notice any discernible performance uptick.
So, on the 02 ,with headers, x-pipe, RPM tune and Borla S-Type II, I just installed a K&N replacement air filter to increase breathing a bit. I have 342 RWHP or about 390 BHP. All I will ever need for the street.
I do not think the BW is worth the $ on a stock set up. Also felt little gain with just the cat back, though the sound was enjoyable. The headers , x pipe and tune really woke it up.
Dave

Quick Reply: Blackwing intake?