Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BCM possibly bad???

Old 06-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Vetteforplay
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default BCM possibly bad???

I have a 97 corvette that I'm having problems with. It stalled out while driving it and wouldn't restart. If I held the key in the start position it would it acted like someone bumping the starter. I got the car towed home and I checked all the powers an grounds and still nothing. It has no codes in it either. I cleaned the contacts in the ignition also. I could turn the ignition on and jumper the starter and it would crank fine just wouldn't start. I tested the crank signal from the BCM at the TDR relay and it get a really quick signal. It is just enough to bump the stater. I pulled the BCM apart and no signs of moisture or burnt spots. I'm thinking it's the BCM that's bad but would like to know if there are any other test I can do to be 100% that's the problem.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:59 AM
twokbolt
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

You haven't mentioned your battery. Have you checked your battery voltage at the terminals?
Old 06-12-2016, 09:59 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

First things first. You can check a few normal things. Check battery connections and battery voltage. If the battery is correctly charged, it should be 12.5v or higher. Ignition switch is also a very well known issue with our C5s. But the very first thing to do is to pull the codes. It's been posted many, many times, but thats where the diagnostics begin. Pull your codes and then post back here. That will get you started on the road to recovery.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:20 AM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

Get battery checked, bad battery will kick off all kinds of funky stuff and readings in C5's. Had a 2 week old new battery that was bad from the factory, replaced it, all issues gone. Good luck, hope it works out!
Old 06-12-2016, 11:42 AM
Vetteforplay
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have checked the battery an all the connections and everything is good there. It doesn't have any codes in it related to what is wrong with it. The codes it has is for the horn because I have the relay out. The horn relay has been out for 3 years so it isn't anything related.

Get notified of new replies

To BCM possibly bad???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BCM possibly bad???