Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dads c5 z05 handles better than mine!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Corvette Jake
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We finally figured out what the problem was guys. Not only did i have a weaker set of leaf springs, but i also had loose sub frame bolts in the front and rear just above the sway bars. I tightened them to specs and now the car is completely different in corners. Has anyone else ever checked their subframe bolts???
Old 07-06-2016, 01:57 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Weaker springs by part number or wear? Loose subframe mount bolts I can believe but wouldn't have considered. Good catch.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:57 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by z06corvettekid
We finally figured out what the problem was guys. Not only did i have a weaker set of leaf springs, but i also had loose sub frame bolts in the front and rear just above the sway bars. I tightened them to specs and now the car is completely different in corners. Has anyone else ever checked their subframe bolts???
Damn I wonder if loose subframe bolts are a common thing. Haven't heard much on here. Used to read Hyundai Genesis forums and it was common there
Old 07-06-2016, 03:02 PM
Corvette Jake
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CaseyJones
Weaker springs by part number or wear? Loose subframe mount bolts I can believe but wouldn't have considered. Good catch.
I drove down to the local corvette shop and had them remove my old springs and put the new ones in. After they got the old ones out and we were able to see them under good lighting, they figured out that they were off of a z51, and they are partially delaminating in the rear from some type of oil seepage. At least thats what the guys claimed.
Just tightening up my frame bolts made a huge difference, but now with the new springs it feels like a complete track monster! I swear she runs like a raped ape now haha
Old 07-06-2016, 03:04 PM
Corvette Jake
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SuperTom
Damn I wonder if loose subframe bolts are a common thing. Haven't heard much on here. Used to read Hyundai Genesis forums and it was common there
I can take pictures to show you where the bolts are located if you would like to check yours. The rears are simple to tighten but the front ones make you drop the sway bar
Old 07-06-2016, 03:37 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

I can take pictures to show you where the bolts are located if you would like to check yours. The rears are simple to tighten but the front ones make you drop the sway bar
I had a rattle noise that I was trying to hunt down last year and tightened up any bolt I could find under the car. Turns out the noise was from a hood spacer somehow turning. I'm sure I'm fine but there maybe others who want to see.

Why would someone put z51 springs on a z06 doesn't make any sense?
Old 07-06-2016, 03:41 PM
Corvette Jake
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SuperTom

Im thinking that maybe they ran out of z06 leaf springs on the assembly line and just said fck it, z51 is close enough. or maybe the previous owner had some problems and had then installed
Old 07-06-2016, 04:42 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

I use Z51 on the rear with the C6 Z06 sway bar for street. The casting number on mine is 22171757 and the part number on the sticker is 22146646.

If this is what was on your car, I would be curious too. I will bet the new one wasn't cheep but I'm glad to hear that you fixed before it broke.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:59 AM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Quote;

...I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that a Z51 'front' spring is the same as as Z06, and the Z06 'rear' springs were increased in stiffness over the Z51 rears...
Old 07-08-2016, 03:37 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Unless the FE3 suspension was available on a Z06 that year (which still kind of doesn't make since).

The only reason I chose that rear spring is for city driving and I went with a stiffer rear sway. The front Zxx springs are the same though.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:46 AM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

I drove down to the local corvette shop and had them remove my old springs and put the new ones in. After they got the old ones out and we were able to see them under good lighting, they figured out that they were off of a z51, and they are partially delaminating in the rear from some type of oil seepage. At least thats what the guys claimed.
Just tightening up my frame bolts made a huge difference, but now with the new springs it feels like a complete track monster! I swear she runs like a raped ape now haha
Oil seepage? They are solid
Old 07-08-2016, 08:50 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RSbeast
Oil seepage? They are solid
Possible differential gear oil from leaky seals.

Quick Reply: Dads c5 z05 handles better than mine!