Sponsored by:

getting in and out of a C5 vs a C4 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 03:36 PM
WRTHW8
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeWyatt
The door sill is both lower AND narrower on the C5. And... the C5 has a handy little "hump" in the door frame where you can plant your left palm to push up:

Was this on purpose?? Maybe.
Yep, that's how I get out. Put my palm there and push myself out. Now if I could just get the passengers to do the same...lol! I found my C4 much harder to get out of. nothing to push or pull yourself. The foot wells are deep. If he has big feet like I do they are going to take a beating. They do make covers for that reason though.

Thank him for his service!
Old 08-25-2016, 04:20 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

The door sill is both lower AND narrower on the C5. And... the C5 has a handy little "hump" in the door frame where you can plant your left palm to push up:

Old 08-25-2016, 07:13 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Geezer Hump
Old 08-26-2016, 08:02 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Geezer Hump
FOR SURE
I use it too !
Old 08-26-2016, 08:49 AM
AllredC5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a C4 convertible, Pain to get in and out. Also, if roof down, almost zero behind seat storage, and a big Pain to access unless lid is popped. Glad I sold it, did not enjoy it anymore, my C5 convertible, better in so many ways, different world. Still low to get in or out but much better.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:22 AM
jjaaam
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

i use the hump ALL of the time. And I'm 46 with (thank God) no mobility issues. It's just a great point to leverage yourself getting in and out.

i was in a C7 and it was awkward. Felt like I had to throw myself down and roll out...
Old 08-26-2016, 03:07 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Just as a caution, I will relate the tale of why a guy I talked to sold his C5..

His parking space at work was slanted, and when he parked in the wrong direction,he couldn't get out. I didn't ask if t was up hill or down, but it might be something to check.

From my perspective, the C5 cabin was a reaction to the comfort issues of the C4, ONce they saw how the new design was accepted, they tightened the space up in the next model, sports cars are supposed to be smaller, except for Le Monster. I suppose.

I really appreciate the geezer hump, I ran my body pretty hard through the years, but mostly enjoy the comfort of the larger space. I favor a more spartan approach, but those old cars are not popularly priced, and are a little slow for todays traffic.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:02 PM
Dub D
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a device(I think it's called a Kar Kane) that hooks in the door lock loop just above the hump on a C5 door opening. That can help to get out of a Vette or any car. I guess it could help getting in also. It also has a hammer and seat belt cutter included. I'll try to include photos
The following users liked this post:
Gary Collins (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 04:56 PM
Gary Collins
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dub D

I have a device(I think it's called a Kar Kane) that hooks in the door lock loop just above the hump on a C5 door opening. That can help to get out of a Vette or any car. I guess it could help getting in also. It also has a hammer and seat belt cutter included. I'll try to include photos
I am having difficulty exiting My Vette and hope to find one of these soon, I used the hump on a rainy day,slipped and ended up face down on the ground, couldn't get up for the life of Me! I guess I could get rid of the Vette,,,,,,NOT happening!
Old 08-21-2017, 05:48 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Collins
I am having difficulty exiting My Vette and hope to find one of these soon, I used the hump on a rainy day,slipped and ended up face down on the ground, couldn't get up for the life of Me! I guess I could get rid of the Vette,,,,,,NOT happening!
they still sell them, so hopefully you can get one and keep enjoying your corvette!
Old 08-21-2017, 06:48 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 705 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I purchased one for my wife from Amazon for our DD. She is now disabled and wears leg braces. This device has been a big help.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:26 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

I've always put my hand down on the bottom of the sill....flat, I guess I was not smart enough to find the geezer hump. anyway it may be safer until you find that doohickey.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:25 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

I have a C5 convertible & C4 coupe. Nose downhill is easier with both, but top down on the Vert is WAY easier to butt plane, then swing legs in!

Getting in for a 'C4 hug' is slightly easier with the top off; 95% of the time.

The few times I considered Rustangs and Camaros, I got a shiver of distaste. Seems I have little need for cramped rear seats and the cheapish FoMoCo.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:48 PM
David Weber
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use it all the time.

Quick Reply: getting in and out of a C5 vs a C4 question