Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who have wrapped their cars please step in.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 12:22 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by imjdoggie
I like the look from a distance but the textured look is what is hanging me up.........it does not look smooth at all. What about washing it wont you peel some off every wash? I also agree there is no way you are getting it all off there has to be remnants especially behind taillights, in body lines etc. Wheels, dip away........whole car I'm not convinced yet.
It looks smooth when applied correctly, ie sprayed wet as it self levels, if you want it to be reflective put plasti dip top coat on it. Plasti dip doesn't come off from washing unless you gouge it down to the original paint. After it cures take some work. If you bump into with your jeans, finger nails, keys lightly it's not coming off.

With dip dissolver, you spray it on the surface and then can power wash after the product has started to dissolve and strip away easily. There are like a 100 videos that dipyourcar has posted along with a forum they host answering pretty much every question you could have. I've been researching it for weeks.

It's not for everybody but I will be trying my hand at it sooner than later. If it looks bad, I'll try again and again and still be able to do the job for under 1k. Not to mention I think it will be a fun project to do.
The following users liked this post:
imjdoggie (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 02:25 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by tommypenguin
It's not for everybody but I will be trying my hand at it sooner than later. If it looks bad, I'll try again and again and still be able to do the job for under 1k. Not to mention I think it will be a fun project to do.
This is why my buddy did his and ended up doing it so many times. it's so cheap and easy he changes it almost monthly at this rate. It's not that it doesn't hold up, it is just so damn easy to do and there are so many things you can do with it.

He told me he was shooting his car black with the same chameleon pearl in the expensive topcoat in a week or two because he was so happy with the pearl he wants to highlight it with the black base.

He's looking at doing his 5th or 6th dip job and he is barely at $1k total so far. It's been less than $200 a color change and he has done some pimp dip jobs as he gets better at it. I was going to have him dip mine until I found out the sprayer was only $120. Hell, I can use it to paint my house, too so its a win/win.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:04 PM
imjdoggie
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

It looks smooth when applied correctly, ie sprayed wet as it self levels, if you want it to be reflective put plasti dip top coat on it. Plasti dip doesn't come off from washing unless you gouge it down to the original paint. After it cures take some work. If you bump into with your jeans, finger nails, keys lightly it's not coming off.

With dip dissolver, you spray it on the surface and then can power wash after the product has started to dissolve and strip away easily. There are like a 100 videos that dipyourcar has posted along with a forum they host answering pretty much every question you could have. I've been researching it for weeks.

Excited to see your work tommy, please share the progress with us.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:13 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

What project is keeping your car on stands?
Its more of a syndrome at the moment. lazyidess..lol I just took a break from it. I have a build thread that i did on it from start to finish..I built it made 668 now going for mid 700's stock motor. Redoing the clutch/fuel/meth at the moment so it's tore apart. I just started working on it again last month. .. This is my baby..You can see how the front and rear clip are already painted. Hood is CF and the targa top and B pillar are wrapped in vinyl..When are you gonna start the dip?

Last edited by Chicago1; 10-12-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:56 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

I was to chicken to pull the trigger so I got a replacement bumper and door that was the same color as mine. i still plan to do this but i just wanna get the car back on the road.

Quick Reply: For those who have wrapped their cars please step in.