Sponsored by:

Odyssey battery...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 08:08 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Odyssey battery...thoughts?

Anybody here have an Odyssey battery? Which one do you have? I called them since I've heard they build a great battery...that won't leak. They suggested I buy a Odyssey 78 PC 1500 to replace the AC Delco 78 I currently have. Does anybody know if the Odyssey 34 PC 1500 with dual terminals will fit in a 2000 C5? They weren't 100% sure if the dual terminal will fit...it didn't register on their computer as compatible with a C5.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:05 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Here are a couple links to the Odyssey site that have specifications for the two different style batteries:

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/batteries/pc1500dt.htm Dual terminal

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/batteries/pc1500_78.htm 78 side post terminal

Looks like the base battery has the same physical dimensions for both styles. The dual terminal battery will have the top posts sticking up beyond the case by about an 1 1/2". I suspect that will NOT be an issue for clearance.

Just out of curiosity why do you want a dual terminal battery when your car requires a side post battery?

I have an 04 that has the top post style battery. (Beginning in 2004 GM stopped using side post batteries in the Corvette.) I have that same battery that was produced by Odyssey for Sears and was branded the "Platinum Die Hard". Sears has discontinued the Platinum line. I have had the battery for about 5 years. If fits the car but with no room to spare from a width perspective. Plenty of top and front to back room.

When I have to replace my current battery I will be purchasing the top post version of the Odyssey PC1500.
Thanks for the information. I am planning to buy HID upgrades to the low beams and fog lights. I recall my installer telling me something about how relay harnesses (I think that is what they are called?) for the fogs and headlights will allow them to be connected directly to the battery if I wanted to go that route. Don't you need extra terminals if using relay harnesses to connect HID fogs and low beams to the battery? I could be completely wrong...just started looking into this a few days ago and I'm far from an electrical expert.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:35 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I have had a Die-Hard Platinum for over 4 years so far - best battery I have had in the C5 by far (over a 16 year period). Even though it says Die-Hard, it is an Odyssey PC1500-DT. (http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey...t-battery.html)

Sears no longer sells these and I am looking to replace mine with the same thing - maybe there will be a Black Friday sale somewhere? I really hate having to buy a battery over the Internet, but nobody sells Odyssey where I live to my knowledge since Sears dropped them.

BTW - I have a High-Wattage headlight harness with 2 relays which are the two black modules just to the right of the battery in the photo below...

Last edited by Choreo; 11-23-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:24 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

The Sears Platinum 34/78 (Odyssey) was rated the best battery they had ever tested by Consumer Reports when Platinums were a "new" product. Just checked my receipt - bought mine in May 2008, and it's still going strong. It's a high capacity battery and the way C5's drain when parked means you can leave it longer than most without messing with battery tenders, charging, etc. My C5 has sat a month before now due to snow and ice, and started right up.

Another option for an AGM battery is East Penn Manufacturing/Deka who it seems manufacture the current Sears Diehard Gold AGM - significantly cheaper that the Odyssey. I am not sure which one I would choose if I had to replace mine, due to the close to 2 to 1 price difference between the two. Unless it's going to last twice as long, the Odyssey may not be the best buy at the moment.

Our other two cars are running Walmart Maxx batteries - both seem to be lasting well but I really don't want an acid container sitting just atop of my C5's electronics.....
Old 11-23-2016, 03:44 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

OPTIMA Red Top-75/25-weighs 31.7 lbs. and fits like a glove-

Last edited by bobby777; 11-23-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:04 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the full size Platinum in the daily driver and an Odyssey 925 in the track car. Both are several years old and no problems.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:33 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

My last Odyssey battery lasted me 15 years. I switched it to my new Vette in '03 when I traded my first C5 for my Z06. It worked perfectly up until it just got too old. I now have a new one. Both times I used the larger version, which fits in perfectly, it also has the dual terminal setup.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:19 PM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,577 Likes on 664 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I had an Odyssey. That was a good name for it. Total garbage. Thing never held a charge. It wasn't worth the cost for a little bit of weight savings and I felt I was ripped off. Also had to purchase a "special" charger for it. More money wasted. This was racing version. Optimum, Delco or Die Hard are better choices, imo.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:45 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Originally Posted by Choreo
I have had a Die-Hard Platinum for over 4 years so far - best battery I have had in the C5 by far (over a 16 year period). Even though it says Die-Hard, it is an Odyssey PC1500-DT. (http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey...t-battery.html)

Sears no longer sells these and I am looking to replace mine with the same thing - maybe there will be a Black Friday sale somewhere? I really hate having to buy a battery over the Internet, but nobody sells Odyssey where I live to my knowledge since Sears dropped them.

BTW - I have a High-Wattage headlight harness with 2 relays which are the two black modules just to the right of the battery in the photo below...

I think I'm going with a Odyssey PC 1500 DT. Did you have any issues getting it to fit? Some sources I read say the PC1500 will fit, but a PC1500 DT won't fit without modification. So confused?! Also, will a Deltran battery tender work with this? I read that Odyssey batteries will only charge with some unique battery tender and Deltran isn't compatible with it. Any information is appreciated.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:55 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I will offer my experience with the Deltran Battery Tender Plus with the Odyssey battery.

I have the Sears Die Hard Platinum version of the Odyssey battery in the top post version and I use a Battery Tender Plus when ever the car will not be driven for more than a few weeks. Works perfectly fine. I have had the battery and the Deltran Battery Tender Plus for more than 4 years with no issues at all. I chose to use the cigarette lighter adapter so that I do not have to have the hood open and also so that it is a little less likely that I will try to drive the car with the tender still attached. I have the cord draped across the steering wheel where I cannot forget the tender is attached.

I will also mention that there were NO MODIFICATIONS required to put the battery into my 04. Fits perfectly.
Thanks!! You are full of a ton of knowledge about these cars. I'm going to order my Odyssey PC1500 DT today and hook it up to my Deltran.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:23 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Another option for an AGM battery is East Penn Manufacturing/Deka who it seems manufacture the current Sears Diehard Gold AGM - significantly cheaper that the Odyssey.
I have one. It is marketed under the Duracell name. I believe BMW OEM's their batteries with East Penn. You can get some good warranties with East Penn batteries.

Michael
Old 11-25-2016, 08:40 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Slo Yelo C5
I think I'm going with a Odyssey PC 1500 DT. Did you have any issues getting it to fit? Some sources I read say the PC1500 will fit, but a PC1500 DT won't fit without modification. So confused?! Also, will a Deltran battery tender work with this? I read that Odyssey batteries will only charge with some unique battery tender and Deltran isn't compatible with it. Any information is appreciated.
When I purchased my DieHard (Odyssey) shown in the photo, that was not the one recommended by Sears, but it did fit (just barely) without modification in my 2001.

The only charger I have used on mine is a CTEK.

Get notified of new replies

To Odyssey battery...thoughts?

Quick Reply: Odyssey battery...thoughts?