Sponsored by:

[Z06] Torque Tube rebuild kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 09:22 PM
Jeffdenney
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Torque Tube rebuild kit?

Whats the best? Solid couplers? OEM rubbers??

I'm gonna rebuild my torque tube while I'm in there doing a 3/8" tunnel cover, Hinson engine and diff mounts, and who knows what else yet.

Slave and trans were rebuilt 2k miles ago so they are solid. clutch looked awesome 2k miles ago, but I will inspect again once disassembled.

Anything else I'm missing while I'm there. I'm not rebuilding the diff right now so thats out.

almost forgot, what snap ring pliers do I need to take the huge Snap ring out?

Its a 12mm torque tube if that matters.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:09 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

Me too.
I have been looking at the poly couplings.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:18 AM
Jeffdenney
Advanced

I've read that the solid couplers can induce weird vibrations. its was a thread on this forum. And I'm sure I wont be able to write it as well as the OP of that thread.

I will most likely go with the OEM rubber couplers also.

hopefully after the holiday craze is over, some gurus will chime in and give us the good data.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:42 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I like the properties of polyurethane as apposed to rubber for applications like this due to its strength and longevity. Having not tried it in this application I wouldn't know of any down sides. I have heard that stock rubber is not the best.

I agree that it will be interesting to hear others experience on this topic.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:27 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

When I did mine the other year it was recommended at the time to do one solid and one OE for a street/track car from a Corvette builder. That's what I did and never had any issues but it was definitely noticeable over just the OE rubber ones.

After awhile you get used to it and don't even notice.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:55 AM
Jeffdenney
Advanced

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
When I did mine the other year it was recommended at the time to do one solid and one OE for a street/track car from a Corvette builder. That's what I did and never had any issues but it was definitely noticeable over just the OE rubber ones.

After awhile you get used to it and don't even notice.
What specifically did you notice? just NVH from the drivetrain or?

I've read that some of the engineering that goes into the torque tube deals with harmonic frequencies and that the locations of the rubber OEM couplers is specifically placed to make those frequencies low enough that the speed that causes those harmonics is low enough that the engine and and torque tube pass by those speeds during startup and shut down and not during running operation. I've also read that sometimes switching to a solid coupler can increase that frequency so that it will become obvious and apparently annoying while driving..

I just dont want to put a solid coupler in if it is going to cause extra wear on torque tube bearings and what not.. I dont mind a little extra NVH though.

I probably butchered that bad, I just woke up. I'm paraphrasing another thread that I will try to find and link to after coffee..
Old 12-28-2016, 12:15 PM
Jeffdenney
Advanced

Default JeremyGSU

When I was searching for the other thread I mentioned, I found a previous post of yours that reminds me of another question.

JeremyGSU qoute from another thread.
"I went to solid couplers on my street/track car which is slowly becoming a full track car and I definitely notice a lot more vibration throughout the car as I drive it on track. Took awhile to get used to. Almost feels as though something is wrong at times depending on how much throttle you give it. If I did it again I may have gotten one rubber and one solid."

So I'm guessing you have run all combos of couplers based on these statements.

2 solids
1 solid/ 1 rubber
2 rubbers

You say in this quote that 2 solids was too much, would you say that one solid is about half that rough or is one solid just barely more noticeable than stock?

Also do you think something like that could be picked up in video or just gonna be something you feel through the car.

My car is gonna be for track and see occasional use for fun drives.

What would you recommend?
I may also call RPM as I have had great luck with those guys in the past, I'm curious to here their opinion also.

I will report back all findings also.
The following users liked this post:
Rob 02 (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 03:08 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Interesting.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:14 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffdenney
When I was searching for the other thread I mentioned, I found a previous post of yours that reminds me of another question.

JeremyGSU qoute from another thread.
"I went to solid couplers on my street/track car which is slowly becoming a full track car and I definitely notice a lot more vibration throughout the car as I drive it on track. Took awhile to get used to. Almost feels as though something is wrong at times depending on how much throttle you give it. If I did it again I may have gotten one rubber and one solid."

So I'm guessing you have run all combos of couplers based on these statements.

2 solids
1 solid/ 1 rubber
2 rubbers

You say in this quote that 2 solids was too much, would you say that one solid is about half that rough or is one solid just barely more noticeable than stock?

Also do you think something like that could be picked up in video or just gonna be something you feel through the car.

My car is gonna be for track and see occasional use for fun drives.

What would you recommend?
I may also call RPM as I have had great luck with those guys in the past, I'm curious to here their opinion also.

I will report back all findings also.
Good find. I guess I had forgotten I had gone with two solid mounts and found threads elsewhere after where people had gone with one solid and one rubber. I never ran any setup but stock and then to the solid mounts. If it's mostly going to be a track car you may just want to stick with the solid mounts. It's not like it makes the car undriveable or anything. No one ever mentioned anything whom had never ridden in my Vette that I took for a drive.

It was just more mechanical feel in the car over the stock rubber ones from what I recall. You just "feel" everything more.

Once I got used to it I didn't even think about it anymore when I had it back as a street car before I sold it. I drove it and didn't even pay attention to it.

I think initially it's just one of those things you change where you notice and immediate change but then get used to it.

If I had to do it over again I would go one solid and one rubber.

Sorry for the confusion.
The following 2 users liked this post by JeremyGSU:
Jeffdenney (12-29-2016), Rob 02 (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 09:48 PM
Jeffdenney
Advanced

O ok sweet. thanks for clearing that up for me.

But, I'm still undecided lol. I wonder if anyone has run all combinations?
Old 12-31-2016, 01:09 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Vibration is the enemy of bearings. I can't speak for this specific application.

Get notified of new replies

To Torque Tube rebuild kit?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Torque Tube rebuild kit?