Sponsored by:

Service Column Lock

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 01:40 PM
QAGUY
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Column Lock

I just put a new head unit and speakers in my 1998 Coupe. I didn't use an adapter to plug into existing wires, but did use the existing wires for the install as much as possible.

Anyway, everything works, but I am getting a Service Column Lock message on the DIC when I start the car. I can reset it away, and everything seems to be okay, but I'd rather it go away. I also looked at the error codes, and the radio says "NO COMM".

Is there any way I can get the Service Column Lock message to stop?
Old 12-29-2016, 02:09 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by QAGUY
I just put a new head unit and speakers in my 1998 Coupe. I didn't use an adapter to plug into existing wires, but did use the existing wires for the install as much as possible.

Anyway, everything works, but I am getting a Service Column Lock message on the DIC when I start the car. I can reset it away, and everything seems to be okay, but I'd rather it go away. I also looked at the error codes, and the radio says "NO COMM".

Is there any way I can get the Service Column Lock message to stop?
you most likely wore the battery down, but you should install this.
http://www.complianceparts.com/lmc5whoneeds1.html
Old 12-29-2016, 02:21 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

If you're wanting the SERVICE COLUMN LOCK message to disappear you need to install an LMC5 if one is not present. If one is present you need to check battery voltage or perform the "brown wire" mod.

I also looked at the error codes, and the radio says "NO COMM".
You're going to get this message with an aftermarket head unit installed. The OEM head unit has functions that are tied into the BCM (Body Control Module). I take it you also have Bose in the car; remember Bose is an option in the C5 which provides more complication when installing an aftermarket head unit.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:29 PM
QAGUY
4th Gear

I installed the LMC5 a while back, so the message surprised me. What is the brown wire mod?
Old 12-29-2016, 02:49 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

I installed the LMC5 a while back, so the message surprised me. What is the brown wire mod?
the brown wire mod came after some still showed the message so Rich updated the LMC5 !!
Old 12-29-2016, 02:52 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 371 Posts

Hopefully you still have the Instruction manual because:

(Cut and pasted from another member, but i don't recall who so I can't give him credit )

"It's on the bottom of page 2 in the instruction manual and also reproduced here in one of the multiple threads on this subject.
Basically you again disconnect the neg battery terminal, remove the upper larger pink connector from the BCM, pull out the lower dark green 3rd wire from the right (diagonally down to the left from the previous one you replaced with the LMC5 wire) and replace this one with the brown wire from the LMC5, then cut the brown short wire loop sticking out of the LMC5, cap all the wire ends with the caps provided, replace the BCM back in it's holder, reconnect the battery, and you are done. Hopefully forever."

Last edited by SG Lou; 12-29-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:56 PM
crazykyle709
Heel & Toe

Don't mean to hijack the thread but what's the difference between the LMC5 and something like corvettes of Houston Steering Wheel Lock Bypass Kit. Do I need both to protect myself from it ever locking up. Thanks

http://www.tickperformance.com/corve...-c5-corvettes/
Old 12-29-2016, 03:06 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by crazykyle709
Don't mean to hijack the thread but what's the difference between the LMC5 and something like corvettes of Houston Steering Wheel Lock Bypass Kit. Do I need both to protect myself from it ever locking up. Thanks

that unit is to unlock the column if the locking pin is engaged, if the column is locked then you need that to unlock it. The LMC5 makes sure it never happens again !!
Old 12-29-2016, 04:03 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by crazykyle709

There are several "Kits" out there but the PROVEN, MOST RELIABLE is the LMC5
Old 12-29-2016, 06:46 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Call Richard at Compliance Parts! He will talk you thru the whole job if need be!! One of the best vendors there is!
The following users liked this post:
SG Lou (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 11:48 PM
crazykyle709
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Pounder
that unit is to unlock the column if the locking pin is engaged, if the column is locked then you need that to unlock it. The LMC5 makes sure it never happens again !!

​​​​​​​I just bought the car about a month ago. I'm not sure if the wheel has ever locked up. Should I get the LMC5 to prevent it from ever doing it or is the LMC5 only for cars to prevent it after is has already locked. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2016, 12:04 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

It's much easier to do it before it locks. Richard will attest to it. Took me twice as long to fix my second c5 because it locked.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:54 AM
RIKKI Z-06
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Old 12-30-2016, 06:04 AM
tmirisola
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 116 Posts

My 1999 C5 had the Steering Lock recall done by GM back in 2004. It's been fine since then. Could the steering wheel still lock up??
Old 12-30-2016, 09:02 AM
steig
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 197 Posts

Richard at Compliance is extremely knowledgeable about this. His product seems to best the best. His kwowledge and assistance is the best.
The following users liked this post:
chasboy (12-31-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 09:55 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 989 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by tmirisola
My 1999 C5 had the Steering Lock recall done by GM back in 2004. It's been fine since then. Could the steering wheel still lock up??
yes the gm recalls never solved the problem
Old 12-30-2016, 10:56 AM
tmirisola
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
The column was supposed to lock when there is no key in the ignition as it came from the factory. The issue with the C5 column lock system as it came from the factory is that under certain conditions it is possible to drive the car with the column locked. That was the reason for the recall.

Is your car a manual or automatic trans??

If a manual trans does the column lock when there is NO KEY in the ignition? If yes then you absolutely need to get and install an LMC5. Without it your column can lock when the battery goes low and you could also experience the 2mph fuel shutoff either of which can leave you stranded.
My 1999 C5 is an Automatic
Old 12-30-2016, 12:13 PM
crazykyle709
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
What year is your car and is it an automatic or manual trans. To answer your question accurately we need to have the answer to BOTH questions.

While you are at answering those questions it would be nice if you could put some information about your car in your profile. Year, manual or automatic, any mods etc. Just because all C5 look the same doesn't mean that there were not significant differences across the years and between systems for manual or automatic.
I'll go to my profile and put all my car info on there My car is a 1999 and was originally an automatic but the previous owner did a manual swap to it. I am able to move the steering wheel freely when the car is off too if that helps answer any questions.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:00 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Personally I would not waste my money on a CLB like shown in your link in post #7. It is more expensive and much more difficult to install especially given the unknows of what has previously been done to the column lock system on your car. The LMC5 is a far better choice since it installs right at the BCM in the passenger foot well and unlike the CLB which requires undoing any previous GM Column lock service, the LMC5 abandons all column lock factory and recall wiring downstream of the BCM.
Agree completely. I believe I mentioned earlier that I felt like I was imposing on Richard with the amount of time and patience he showed me with my last install, which was an "intall-unintstall/remove everything-restart the car causing it to lock-call Richard-get it to UNLOCK-then reinstall under his guidance.
Compliance Parts is just a no-brainer for this problem. You'll be glad you did it!
As an aside, the thought of a steering column locking up while underway is really scary.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Column Lock

Quick Reply: Service Column Lock