Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 versus Acura NSX

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 11:03 PM
vetteguy8
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts

I have no idea where some of the guys in here think that the older NSX is a reliable car!! I worked with a guy few years ago and had nothing but problems with his and every time he went to the dealer it was an arm and a leg not to mention how long he had to wait once for an alternator, like 2 month or something and it was very costly..
Not sure, maybe he had a lemon but parts are very expensive on these cars and most of the time you can only go to the dealer.. I have never considered an NSX even if it was on par price wise with the C5!
I do however like the back end on it just a little bit but the front of the car and interior in nothing special at all, plus why would I want a car that I have to rev to 9k rpms for me to feel the power which isn't that great to begin with, also body panels on this car are very very expensive like someone else mentioned, not worth it.
reminds of my cousin that thinks his Nintendo 64 is worth some money, not this one ! its only a Honda v6 vtech in there and not a Ferrari special.

Last edited by vetteguy8; 01-12-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:09 PM
RomanNYC
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroh
If I had an NSX, I'd sell it now. With the new model coming out, it seems demand has hit its high. Isn't the argument that the c5 will never be a true collector classic because too many were produced applicable here too?

I haven't looked it up, but I sure do see a lot of them in the Detroit area (surprisingly). Production numbers can't be that low.

Old datsuns and other Asian "exotics" have been hot recently, but the NSX for all its performance is just a pretty foreign used car to me. Honestly, I'd rather have my C5.
i think finding a stock c5 z06 is becoming more rare. wouldnt be surprised if they did become collector with everyone modding them.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:03 AM
Scylla
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RSbeast
While the NSX might be outgunned by a corvette, that does not make it less enjoyable to drive. I fully expect it to be slower straightline; but it's not like it's THAT far off - they run bottom 13s. That's on par with the majority of c5 or near any c4.

Why are you comparing it to an s2k? If we are judging cars for being cars and not pricing aside; WHY would you want the s2k?

It doesn't rev as high? Seriously? How is that an argument; like peak power is ever the most important thing in a road car. The tq of the v6 would carry the car out of low speed corners or places on a track where you maintains single gear. I've driven an ap2. It sounds and behaves like a b16-b18 civic with crap until 5k and just generic intake noise. There is far less exotica out of any Honda 4cyl vs their v6. Handling can't possibly be quantified by skid pad number, although I highly doubt the s2k out handles the NSX. There is no way to replicate the light steering of a mid engine car, the weight balancing and rotation in the corners. Likewise the driving position. Loooooong hood and sit in the back, or a cockpit like racecar reminiscing the early 90s Lemans /IMSA longtail cars.

They have targa NSX cars, so the roof is mildly null.

Now is the NSX a better value? Arguably yes hence the worth IF you bought one at the right time. I recall insane s2k prices too. Now? No, the car isnt 100k 'better' than any other high dollar car vs a cheap variable that is 8/10ths.

The C5 and the S2k are simply too overproduced for anyone to care. The s2k values MIGHT creep up in the next 10yrs IMO as there will be less left and they will be reveled; but they were never intended to be anything more than a mass produced Honda vert. Nothing groundbreaking, no crazy all aluminum construction when it was totally unheard of for a modern production vehicle from the likes of Honda/Acura.

No, the NSX was born special. Trying to disregard that is simpleminded. The most bulletproof car? No. The highest quality? Well considering it made its mark in 1991, to be able to even compare it to something newer says a lot. Was there ever an Alex Zenardi edition of an s2k? The closest GM endorsement was the lame duck F1 camaro. It is a driver's car. The cost is irrelevant.

I love corvettes. They're great. Light, cheap, fast, reliable. They are the antithesis of an exotic lol. But there's 100 haggered *** ones crawling around for every single well kept example. 100:1 clean corvette examples for every 1 NSX sighting. Rarity sells. Special demands value.

The c5 and s2k do not provide that at any level.

No matter how you want to justify it, there is a cost to that level of uniqueness and performance, and heritage. To the person with MUCH deeper pockets, this totally writes off the c5 or s2k. As the NSX provides something that neither can provide no matter what you want to put on paper. Generic vs Exotic 101.
See the problem with NSX peeps is they post this on Corvette forum... This is kind of what I mean. Self-awareness is the most underrated of all personality traits.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:38 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Man I have never ridden in an NSX, so my opinions are thin, but I recently saw one parked and don't think the body design has held up as well as the vette.

Not that I mind dated, but the space age styling with little wheels is very eye catching in a time of big wheels on fast cars, and not in a good way. More like predicting the future and missing, with full documentation, is the NSX look today.

I am far from knowledgeable in this type of car, but can consider it in the context of the times, I was there, as a spectator only. My opinions follow; what did you expect?

I was listening to a big deal car guy speak , as part of a panel of experts, about the car industry, to a crowd of gear heads at a deluxe car show.

He pointed out that the exotics that people lusted over and put on posters, were not functional, the tech of the day could not support anything beyond Fast and expensive, there was no reliable choice in the famous old , pick two out of three , canard with these cars.

The NSX broke that mold, advancing the state of the art with a durable, in the japanese way, car. At least enough that the car mags of the day went crazy, and they were very influential in those days, telling a one sided fan boy story. THere was a lot to talk about with a new mid engine design in those days, plus, the company they were washing up is , to this day, a major advertiser, and there was no internet to slow their roll with a contrary opinion. No wise guys to mention the 911, fer instance.

It might be the run up in prices is an extension of the general lift in Asian collectables, all of a sudden , not too far back , Asian art became a cultural source of pride, and prices went crazy, have stayed there to this day, and this design is a significant Asian car.
I can easily see the car getting a lift in prices from this phenomena,, even if I think the C5 a much better long term platform. unless you are a car dealer.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:56 AM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Ha, I love the NSX, new and old. A very well put together machine. Not huge power, but well balanced. Look at the stats, they don't lie. The NSX is a performance machine.

I'll always have a love for rear wheel performance cars, but my Corvette is just more my style. I've had some very fun import (rear wheel drive only) cars, but nothing like my C4/5's.

But if I had Powerball money to burn, a new NSX would be in the garage for at least a year.

7:56.73 at Nurburgring for a 90's car is damn impressive.

Last edited by 66dts-v; 01-13-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:40 AM
Scylla
Instructor

Originally Posted by 66dts-v
Ha, I love the NSX, new and old. A very well put together machine. Not huge power, but well balanced. Look at the stats, they don't lie. The NSX is a performance machine.

I'll always have a love for rear wheel performance cars, but my Corvette is just more my style. I've had some very fun import (rear wheel drive only) cars, but nothing like my C4/5's.

But if I had Powerball money to burn, a new NSX would be in the garage for at least a year.

It's funny, because there's this thing which measures all technical aspects of a car, including reliability called GT racing. Maybe check out the performance of this underperformer before you ***** it out somewhere it doesn't belong.

I tend to be pretty polite about cars, I like mine and I try to appreciate other platforms, it's kind of part of my job. I can find things I like about most cars, and for example I think the front end of the NSX was very influential in appearance (Looking at you Mclaren F1) but the NSX was NOT a successful performance platform.

What an NSX is, boils down to this: It's a wannabee Ferrari with a Japanese Logo on it. The engine is not impressive or fun, and based on their GT performance, reliability ends once you're track driving, which is why one member up there mentioned insane repair costs. The NSX is a wannabee super car killer, you know like the C5. Except the C5-R team did a little better didn't they?

Objectivity peeps, like what you like, be aware of what it is. C5's deserve a lot of props, their performance/price level has always been incredible, and they're amazing cars to work on, they also pissed off all of Europe by taking over Lemans a few years... perspective.

Last edited by Scylla; 01-13-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:58 AM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Because all c5s have 427R engines
Old 01-13-2017, 12:02 PM
Scylla
Instructor

Because all c5s have 427R engines
The NSX used a turbo version of it's engine for racing after proving to be not so impressive, didn't help. I know about the chassis because it's very popular with fan boys on the west coast. Yes race teams way overbuild cars, they always do, didn't help the NSX, that's the point. IT IS NOT a great performance platform. It's capabilities are limited and it's underpowered.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:04 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Frankly I don't even think the two even ran in near the same classes ALMS and GTII. They run GT3 due to displacement. Somewhere the c5 might have ran had it met Trans Am 5.0 rules - but it was the Vette that needed a bigger engine to even be competitive.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:05 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

If you're going to talk out of your ***, at least use Google
Old 01-13-2017, 03:09 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

The new NSX is terrible. It went from a purist car to a loaded up wanna be hypercar - totally removed from its roots

The new FGT is much closer to what the NSX used to stand for, which is odd for gt40 heritage but could be argued for NSX bloodline and design elements.

please do not post anymore pics of the new GT as I'm trying to stick to my guns about hating Fords.

thank God I can't afford it

Last edited by Forcedvert; 01-13-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:01 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

The old NSX has 224 torque. That's 126 less than a stock C5 LOL That's craz, my grand cherokee has more.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:07 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Well to be fair it looks like the car that did that was a 2002, and it was a straight up race car. No power steering, no radio, nothing.

Im not saying the car isn't quick or impressive, but 125k for it is stupid. No reasonable person would pay that, except for the rare cool unique factor it's a solid $20k car. Hell I could see them going for $50k just because they're unique, but 125k is stupid. People act like because it's rare it's the best thing built, when in reality if they had been produced like a corvette they would be considered cool but underpowered and unexciting.

Its like split window corvettes, they aren't better than 64 corvettes in any way, but they bring twice the money because somehow having less visibility means better. Corvette guys get all flustered about how amazing the split window coupe is, "aaaaahhhhhrrrr it the only year with two windows on the back ahhhhhhrhrhrhrh best corvette ever because of two windows gotta have it will pay 150k for it because Chevrolet split the window and I like splits I even do splits in gymnastics while eating banana splits because I like spliiiittttt."
The following users liked this post:
grantv (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 04:24 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
The old NSX has 224 torque. That's 126 less than a stock C5 LOL That's craz, my grand cherokee has more.
2010 Grand Caravan = 240
Old 01-13-2017, 04:25 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
2010 Grand Caravan = 240
V TECH yo
Old 01-13-2017, 04:33 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Well to be fair it looks like the car that did that was a 2002, and it was a straight up race car. No power steering, no radio, nothing.

Im not saying the car isn't quick or impressive, but 125k for it is stupid. No reasonable person would pay that, except for the rare cool unique factor it's a solid $20k car. Hell I could see them going for $50k just because they're unique, but 125k is stupid. People act like because it's rare it's the best thing built, when in reality if they had been produced like a corvette they would be considered cool but underpowered and unexciting.

Its like split window corvettes, they aren't better than 64 corvettes in any way, but they bring twice the money because somehow having less visibility means better. Corvette guys get all flustered about how amazing the split window coupe is, "aaaaahhhhhrrrr it the only year with two windows on the back ahhhhhhrhrhrhrh best corvette ever because of two windows gotta have it will pay 150k for it because Chevrolet split the window and I like splits I even do splits in gymnastics while eating banana splits because I like spliiiittttt."
It's worth what someone is willing to pay. Evidently that someone isn't you.

Is it any different than people paying $25M for a Ferrari that LOST to the Shelby Daytona that only sold for $7M? I mean, it LOST, and there are more of them made.

The NSX that set the record was the Type R (racing). It is stock and not full of bells or whistles, like the Z/28.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:39 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Originally Posted by Scylla
It's funny, because there's this thing which measures all technical aspects of a car, including reliability called GT racing. Maybe check out the performance of this underperformer before you ***** it out somewhere it doesn't belong.
I didn't start this thread, I've never owned a Honda, and have no idea why you think I am pimping anything.

You are a GT fan, great. Nurburgring lap times are a pretty damn good measure of performance as well, that is why any manufacturer worth a **** runs it.

<edit> Hell Dodge built a Viper (the TA, look it up) JUST TO BEAT Corvette ZR1 Nurburgring lap time.

Last edited by 66dts-v; 01-13-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 versus Acura NSX

Old 01-13-2017, 04:52 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

It's worth what someone is willing to pay. Evidently that someone isn't you.

Is it any different than people paying $25M for a Ferrari that LOST to the Shelby Daytona that only sold for $7M? I mean, it LOST, and there are more of them made.

The NSX that set the record was the Type R (racing). It is stock and not full of bells or whistles, like the Z/28.
I hear that. But yeah, it's honda's factory stripped out nsx. Those aren't even the only ones selling for so much. It's not like the nsx is crazy rare. Compare it to something like an Aston Martin vantage, which is much nicer and has similar (if not less) production numbers. I would take a $50k Aston Martin with a warranty over a $125k nsx any day, and I'm not even a huge Aston Martin fan.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:57 PM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Im just confused at why you all aren't mentioning that the Miata is better then all these cars mentioned
The following users liked this post:
66dts-v (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 05:04 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
I hear that. But yeah, it's honda's factory stripped out nsx. Those aren't even the only ones selling for so much. It's not like the nsx is crazy rare. Compare it to something like an Aston Martin vantage, which is much nicer and has similar (if not less) production numbers. I would take a $50k Aston Martin with a warranty over a $125k nsx any day, and I'm not even a huge Aston Martin fan.
The NSX was made for a long time, but not that many were made. I remember when it came out, it was a hot time for imports. The Supra still ruled them all with the turbo Gen4, but the SUV killed sports cars, especially imports.

And it is mid engine, not many imports can say that. Hell, most imports aren't even RWD.

I would never pay that for one. Hell, I wouldn't pay $20k for an old one, but I would pay $20k for a Gen4 Supra turbo, if you can even find one that isn't riced out.

Quick Reply: C5 versus Acura NSX