C5 versus Acura NSX

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 12:29 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankLP
And it looks like the new NSX is their attempt to "catch up" to themselves

I actually saw one of these on the street the other day...ended up following along for several blocks. FWIW, the car looks much better in person.
That new NSX is hecka nicer than the GT40 for my eyes, pretty darn nice. I'd be happy to take it for a spin.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:39 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Scylla
Just like NSX people decided to come in here, dump on corvettes for... some reason, with a bunch of claims which are either totally subjective or untrue. Great guys, you can troll people on a corvette forum who think your car is slow. Amazing job, your car is still slow, and no I don't care that Honda's F1 engine designer made your V6, it's slow, he should be embarrassed. Motorsports exist to test what different platforms can do. The NSX has been a consistent under-performer, propped up by a cultish following in Japan by people who think Honda can do no wrong.
Where exactly have "NSX people" come on here? Have any examples?

You know, there are people can appreciate any type of nice car, they are typically known as gearheads. There is no law that says you have to only like one type of vehicle. Unfortunately, there seem to be plenty of "corvette people" on this site that refuse to give any other type of model the time of day. There is no doubt that the Corvette is a great car, and a great value for the dollar, but acting like it is the greatest thing on earth is just silly.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:54 PM
Scylla
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 02

You know, there are people can appreciate any type of nice car, they are typically known as gearheads. There is no law that says you have to only like one type of vehicle. Unfortunately, there seem to be plenty of "corvette people" on this site that refuse to give any other type of model the time of day. There is no doubt that the Corvette is a great car, and a great value for the dollar, but acting like it is the greatest thing on earth is just silly.
No one ever said that, I've been emphasizing performance. For example if you look at the current situation, then no Corvettes don't have a lot to brag about. It was a different situation in the early 2000's. As far as the weird claims being made, just look through the previous couple pages. "It's not a car, it's a work of art." came up, that's a bit overly reverent and weird, isn't it?

The NSX argument was about justifying the crazy price tag. I'm arguing that they're fanboys who are kidding themselves about an under-performing car, in a forum that has nothing to do with that platform.

If you buy a C5 and put a little money into it, you can make a performance vehicle that rivals most things which money can buy. That's what makes for a great performance platform, since race cars are never stock (which again, one of the NSX people tried to bring up as some kind of argument, showing a strange lapse in basic functional knowledge of motorsports). An NSX is not like that. It's a difficult to build car with very expensive parts and major performance limitations.

If someone loves an NSX just because, that's fine, but when racing and performance cars turns into nerdy theorycrafting that I usually associate with online roleplaying games I go And that's why I find the NSX annoying in the first place.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:01 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Scylla
No one ever said that, I've been emphasizing performance. For example if you look at the current situation, then no Corvettes don't have a lot to brag about. It was a different situation in the early 2000's. As far as the weird claims being made, just look through the previous couple pages. "It's not a car, it's a work of art." came up, that's a bit overly reverent and weird, isn't it?

The NSX argument was about justifying the crazy price tag. I'm arguing that they're fanboys who are kidding themselves about an under-performing car, in a forum that has nothing to do with that platform.

If you buy a C5 and put a little money into it, you can make a performance vehicle that rivals most things which money can buy. That's what makes for a great performance platform, since race cars are never stock (which again, one of the NSX people tried to bring up as some kind of argument, showing a strange lapse in basic functional knowledge of motorsports). An NSX is not like that. It's a difficult to build car with very expensive parts and major performance limitations.

If someone loves an NSX just because, that's fine, but when racing and performance cars turns into nerdy theorycrafting that I usually associate with online roleplaying games I go And that's why I find the NSX annoying in the first place.
To be fair, I quoted what you said.

As far as the C5, yes you can make it fast but there are a lot more ingredients to a great car than just being fast. What about steering feel? Shifter feel? Overall confidence in what the car is capable of doing? In my opinion, the C5 lacks in all of these areas and they aren't easy to correct by simply spending money on the car. Adding a ton of power certainly doesn't fix them, it may even make some of them worse.

And honestly, at the end of the day, no matter how much money you spend on a C5, it's still a C5 Corvette. If it's faster than an exotic, big deal, it's still not an exotic and being faster in a straight line certainly doesn't equate to the car being better, which is a mindset I see here quite often.

Do I like Corvettes? Of course I do! But I'm also realistic in what they are and what they aren't.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:35 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm not a fanboy. I just pointed out where you and others were blatantly wrong; including your motorsports comments.

Honestly it's mind bogging that people can't understand the concept of supply and demand. The less there are of something desirable; the greater the cost. Imposed value is still value. Why are diamonds so expensive? They serve no real purpose in the jewelery market, we can create our own for fractions...why covet them at all? All of this is the same argument.

I don't care if car group A seems more judgemental to car group B. All you are doing is standing on the other side of a fence telling people why they made the wrong decision. I like all cars in their own rights. I had a Miata too. Can it put down hard numbers like a corvette? No. Can it provide attributes than CANNOT be replicated by a corvette no matter how much you bolt on - YUP. Most raced car on the planet for a reason - but it's older, slower, and not a corvette so it must be garbage. Ever look into what it takes to run a c5 open track and keep it alive for a season? The costs?

The reason why I've even been replying here is because it's hilarious to disprove close minded people with actual logic. So you're telling me something from 1991 is slower than something from 2004? You don't say! Rambling about Motorsport being the great divider when the cars only shared a track at literally one venue in different classes. Ranting over how Honda A that had a gazillion produced is better than Honda B that had hundreds - and are completely different chassis layouts and designs that offer completely different characteristics ; but that's all hogwash anyhow because one can't possibly be 100k better. No **** it's not 100k better. But if you can't figure out how value got imposed you might want to revisit highschool economics.

Pick anything old and expensive and easily outran. How about a 308 Ferrari? Old lotus esprit? Maybe a Dino? How about a a freaking air cooled non turbo Porsche Carrera? Oh, that's right even a Supra got tossed in with the overpriced junk. Nobody should ever consider these when they can buy a used c5 that wipes the floors with them. What stupid overhyped cars they must be. Surely they offer zero attribute that makes them worth what they do. Badges right? I mean duh a Ferrari is a lot of money? Would it if they made 500,000 - 1,000,000 of them? But that can't be right there's a Toyota on the list! Oh wait, so that was limited production, high demand too right? Hmm...how about that rice burning junk the Nissan skyline? Oh they are cheap overseas because there are lots of them? None of this can possibly tie itself together.

Nobody cares that you are a girl; the same as I don't care the gender of the others making themselves look foolish. If you can't figure out why a limited production halo sports car is expensive then it doesn't really matter. Us 'NSX people' will just have to continue to troll and disprove with logic. Take the damn thing at face value and you will have a much easier time getting your head around a simple, sophomoric concept.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:45 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

I wanted a Chevelle but when I started looking for one I found the prices crazy for the heck of it I started looking at corvettes because I wanted a vert and figured a c4 was probably cheap enough...so I went to a local club hang out (I knew nothing about corvettes) to ask some questions, I didn't even know that what I was talking about was a "c4" luckily for me I was promptly steered towards a 2001 and up c5 and this forum. Now I have a much faster and more comfortable car...but I still want a Chevelle

Funny thing is the money I've spent to date on my corvette (don't ask but it is pretty quick now) I could have had my Chevelle

I'm sure I could make a pathway towards a Chevelle but I think I would miss the acceleration of my current car... it's kind of addictive
(Plus it stops and goes around corners)
There is no hope for me unless I hit a lotto

Last edited by Forcedvert; 01-16-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:14 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

I've always been a fan of the NSX and love the styling of them. Kinda reminds me of a more refined and stretched MR2. There is a 1995 local to me that is listed for around $48K with 44k miles on it. As much as I love the look and would love to have one in my garage I can't see spending that kinda of coin for one. Then again, in a few more years I'll probably be regretting not buying one.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:27 PM
MikeyMcFly
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedvert

I wanted a Chevelle but when I started looking for one I found the prices crazy for the heck of it I started looking at corvettes because I wanted a vert and figured a c4 was probably cheap enough...so I went to a local club hang out (I knew nothing about corvettes) to ask some questions, I didn't even know that what I was talking about was a "c4" luckily for me I was promptly steered towards a 2001 and up c5 and this forum. Now I have a much faster and more comfortable car...but I still want a Chevelle

Funny thing is the money I've spent to date on my corvette (don't ask but it is pretty quick now) I could have had my Chevelle

I'm sure I could make a pathway towards a Chevelle but I think I would miss the acceleration of my current car... it's kind of addictive
(Plus it stops and goes around corners)
There is no hope for me unless I hit a lotto
That sounds like how I ended up at a C5. I wanted something 2-door, manual, RWD with a removable roof but not a convertible. I had my eyes focused on old JDM but as I've noted before since that's what I grew up wanting, nothing was available at the pricepoint I had to work with. The C5 was the logical choice.

It's been fun seeing how the other half lives (I had never owned anything American before) and it's been interesting to own compared to what I had before. Growing up reading all the automotive magazines you get a feel for a vehicle before you even get into it. Every vehicle has had it's pros and cons for me. The C5 has plenty of cons (the interior...omg the interior) but plenty of pros (the overall driving experience). It was never a car I lusted after growing up, but with my budget and goals, it was the perfect fit for me and it has been a blast to own so far.

That being said, my lottery list is quite the eclectic list. Hopefully some day I'll be able to check off that list, but that's another thread.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:38 AM
KICKIT
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

The new NSX is spectacular and i'm not a fan of the old NSX. It looks so much better than an R8 and most people ragging on the car have never had seat time in one or have an agenda. I was lucky enough for about 3 hours to drive this incredible machine for almost a full day last week. One of the only reviewers i trust is below. Enjoy

Last edited by KICKIT; 11-19-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:57 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

The original NSX is a nice car if it can be had for around $25-$30k; I would never pay anything above that- but they sell for more because of the Honda fanboy/loyalist premium. When you're not beholden to a brand, you can make much more rational decisions about car purchases. I'm not even beholden to Corvettes (in fact, I despise most other Chevrolet vehicles, as well as C4 Corvettes), I bought a C5 Z06 because I thought it was an incredible car for the money, great styling, low cost of maintenance/ownership, and good reliability (I was originally looking to buy a 911). The other vehicles we own are an Acura TL, Range Rover, Mustang Cobra, Honda Rebel, and Buell Blast- so there's some proof that we have no bias or brand loyalty. A good vehicle is a good vehicle in my book, regardless of the brand it came from.

That being said, a stock C5 Z06 would wipe the floor clean in every performance category. So you really have to love the love the NSX for it's styling and qualitative factors rather than what it puts out on paper.

I like the original NSX's styling overall, but the taillight area is too dated/90s looking for my taste. The C5's styling has held up very well over the years.

The new NSX is a great sports car but the price tag for what you get is silly, compared to other respected sports cars. That's the main complaint people have about it.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 11-19-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:38 PM
DarthVetter5
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The older NSX is overrated and still today fetches 35-60k for a 1995. For the time period of the mid 90's I'd rather have a Porsche 911 993 for around 40-50k today which would kill that nsx. But to stay on topic Speedmaster64 your C5 is definitely the nicer car

Last edited by DarthVetter5; 11-19-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:50 PM
KICKIT
Racer

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
The original NSX is a nice car if it can be had for around $25-$30k; I would never pay anything above that- but they sell for more because of the Honda fanboy/loyalist premium. When you're not beholden to a brand, you can make much more rational decisions about car purchases. I'm not even beholden to Corvettes (in fact, I despise most other Chevrolet vehicles, as well as C4 Corvettes), I bought a C5 Z06 because I thought it was an incredible car for the money, great styling, low cost of maintenance/ownership, and good reliability (I was originally looking to buy a 911). The other vehicles we own are an Acura TL, Range Rover, Mustang Cobra, Honda Rebel, and Buell Blast- so there's some proof that we have no bias or brand loyalty. A good vehicle is a good vehicle in my book, regardless of the brand it came from.

That being said, a stock C5 Z06 would wipe the floor clean in every performance category. So you really have to love the love the NSX for it's styling and qualitative factors rather than what it puts out on paper.

I like the original NSX's styling overall, but the taillight area is too dated/90s looking for my taste. The C5's styling has held up very well over the years.

The new NSX is a great sports car but the price tag for what you get is silly, compared to other respected sports cars. That's the main complaint people have about it.
Well the gen 2 is better than the R8 overall and it's on par with the mclaren 570
for 140-160k which they are discounted to it's a solid choice
at 200-210k no.. but the gen 2 is an amazing car. much more exotic looking than z06.

Last edited by KICKIT; 11-19-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:21 AM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

I found this thread a very interesting read. Okay... confession time... When I was looking to buy my first sports car in 2006, the NSX was my first choice. Based upon the research I had done the '96 was a good year. So I was prepared to buy one. But, I just couldn't find one. Weeks went by and I couldn't find one that was in reasonable driving distance and price. Then, by chance, I came across a guy selling a silver (my favorite car color) 2002 C5 Z06 only 5 miles away from me... the rest is history. Ironically, 6 months earlier, I left my phone number on a guy's NSX that I found parked in a strip mall close to my house. One week after my C5 Z06 purchase, that guy called me interested to sell!

11 years later, still have my C5 Z06 and there are no regrets. The cost of ownership has been great and corvettes in general are a strongly supported platform. Not to mention this forum has been great to me.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:46 AM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06ster
I found this thread a very interesting read. Okay... confession time... When I was looking to buy my first sports car in 2006, the NSX was my first choice. Based upon the research I had done the '96 was a good year. So I was prepared to buy one. But, I just couldn't find one. Weeks went by and I couldn't find one that was in reasonable driving distance and price. Then, by chance, I came across a guy selling a silver (my favorite car color) 2002 C5 Z06 only 5 miles away from me... the rest is history. Ironically, 6 months earlier, I left my phone number on a guy's NSX that I found parked in a strip mall close to my house. One week after my C5 Z06 purchase, that guy called me interested to sell!

11 years later, still have my C5 Z06 and there are no regrets. The cost of ownership has been great and corvettes in general are a strongly supported platform. Not to mention this forum has been great to me.
I owned both a 1991 NSX and a 2000 C5 so I know both cars. I've also owned 6 Corvettes and sandwiched the NSX between a 1990 C4 and the C5. During this time the NSX was reliable, fun to drive and got a lot of attention (It was Playboy's Car of the Year in 1991.) I thoroughly enjoyed it for 7 years and sold it with 37K miles on it.

I've seen a lot of comments here based on paper specifications but that's not why I bought the car. I just wanted a reasonably fast sports car that looked good and was fun to drive. And the NSX delivered that in spades. It was one of my favorite cars next to maybe the AMX that I had when much younger.

That being said, when the chance came to buy a new C5 I was excited. I like Corvette power, handling, and looks and the C7 is awesome in all those areas.

Overall, I would recommend to NSX skeptics that they just drive one for a few hundred miles and see what they think. Not everything can be determined by looking at numbers on a piece of paper. On a side note the new NSX just doesn't excite me like the old one did.

Last edited by FunDriver; 11-20-2017 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:18 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Reliabiliy for a rear mid engine sports car was a new thing when the NSX released way back when.

The c5 at the time was also space capsule cool when it released years later.

Performance wise ...the c5 crushes the NSX,..but that doesn't negate how important the NSX was when it set all the European supercars on notice...to produce reliable and reasonable service capability...

The new NSX needs to get rid of the chrome front grill bar...it's really dating the car ...

The hybrid tech should in my opinion be eliminated for a light less expensive version...

Just increase the hp of the gas engine out back and drop the dam price...

Offer the hybrid and the gas only I'm suggesting...

Some would say it's opposite of the future direction...but for some reason...the hybrid is kind of boring in this NSX ..meanwhile the 200 grand tesla supercar all electric kicks some serious butt..spec wise...

I don't think the NSX went far enough in amazing acceleration performance....maybe that's why it's a sales dud...most probably the snooze and tacky chrome bar grill...

Honda should remake the NSX grill so it doesn't look like Honda products...with that chrome bar in the grill...just get rid of that bar...or paint it black...

I just have no desire to own a NSX...I never did...even in the original version...

I always thought the tail was too long...I didn't like the look and it's the one aspect that really dated the original NSX as time went in...

The c5 s tail was too long too...but at the time it didn't bother me...as time went on...it dates the design harder than the pop up lights but with larger wheels both cars can carry the long tails better..(stylistically)
Old 11-20-2017, 08:28 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Don't you know, the C5 is the bestest car in the whole wide world and beats everything out there, up to an including exotics? All for $10-15k?

You are in a Corvette forum. What do you expect?
Old 11-20-2017, 09:50 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

I'll give you a true driver's perspective simplified, or at least from my point of view lol...

NSX gen 1 gen 2- better car on track right out of the box compared to all C5's. It may be considered under powered, but it is balanced with it's chassis. Much easier to control going fast and around corners then a C5, and with minimal upgrades can be further improved.

C5 great performance for the price, and only getting better. But as a track toy, the NSX is superior...current prices not withstanding.

Last edited by STALION; 11-20-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 versus Acura NSX

Old 11-20-2017, 01:12 PM
lane_viper
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
need a new hood for your NSX?? 12 sq. feet of aluminum 3500 dollars.
a new hood for a C5 is 700 dollars, that 5X
Try to get a Hood for a Gen 2 Viper. $13,000
Old 11-20-2017, 08:19 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by KICKIT
The new NSX is spectacular and i'm not a fan of the old NSX. It looks so much better than an R8 and most people ragging on the car have never had seat time in one or have an agenda. I was lucky enough for about 3 hours to drive this incredible machine for almost a full day last week. One of the only reviewers i trust is below. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSlUPNy5R2Y
Just curious how you came to bump a near year old thread about the NSX in a corvette forum?
Old 11-20-2017, 09:00 PM
KICKIT
Racer

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane
Just curious how you came to bump a near year old thread about the NSX in a corvette forum?
Seaching for comparisons.
never owned a gen 1
but a gen 2 is the next move
thx cuz!

Last edited by KICKIT; 11-20-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Quick Reply: C5 versus Acura NSX