Sponsored by:

13 year old Goodyear run flats safe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 05:26 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,709 Likes on 1,670 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by Rjwz2
If I go with non run flats, do I need to carry fix a flat or? What do you guys do?
AAA card in wallet.

Been running non-runflats for 15 years and never had a flat though I've had a blowout on my Ford Expedition once. Tire only had about 300 miles on it. Blew on a corner, on a steep hill, and in the rain

Last edited by knewblewkorvette; 03-16-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:28 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Pounder
OK for how long ????
Depends on how bad the blow out tore up the tire ... my ex-FIL used to be a tire tech at the Goodyear proving grounds in Texas. When they first started testing with run flats many years ago they'd drill a 1/2 hole in the side walls. He said they could drive that way at 50 MPH and it was almost impossible to tell the difference in the tire with hole and tire with air. He could drive about 50 MPH for around 100 miles before tire without air would overheat and come apart.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:30 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

Replace them ASAP now... I wouldn't event feel comfortable driving to the tire shop on those things.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:39 PM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

tire aging
Part #1
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...&affiliate=cn3

Part #2
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...&affiliate=cn3
Old 03-16-2017, 05:43 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

Why not get run-flats, AAA, a tire repair kit and carry a spare just to be on the safe side of things?
Old 03-16-2017, 07:42 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 02
Why not get run-flats, AAA, a tire repair kit and carry a spare just to be on the safe side of things?

Old 03-16-2017, 08:04 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't want the extra weight and stuff in my car sliding around. I want it as light as possible. And I don't want to deal with fixing a flat tire. For this car, run-flats are a good idea as long as there are no real drawbacks/disadvantages to how the tires perform compared to non-run flats. I do hear they may be louder than non run-flats - that would be a drawback.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:25 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

It seems like people are split on weather or not to use run-flats. I have been thinking about getting away from mine even though I have a tendency to pick up nails.
I guess it depends on weather or not your the kind of person that doesn't mind fixing a tire. The TPMS should give fair warning in most cases, other than catastrophic blow out.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:39 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

I've always used runflats on my c5's. The original Goodyears gave runflats a bad reputation. I've had several different brands and I'm now running Pirellis. Good traction and fairly quiet. Better than the Michelins they replaced. Two flats (or would have been) in the middle of the desert was enough for me to keep using them. Runflats are ok.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:10 PM
TomBoy
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My Corvette is a 2004 with 10,000 miles. It is stored in a heated dry garage all winter. It is pretty much exclusively showed but do drive to them within the state. I am glad this post has come up. I am starting to feel uneasy about the safety of my OEM run flats. Tread looks good although one back tire was repaired once. I am going to replace them this summer and going with the OEM run flats. I know the ride and handling is poorer than non run flats but my car has been lowered on stock bolts and also has a ACI spoiler on the front giving me about 2.5" ground clearance. Towing would not be a great option. So, with this in mind, the run flats would be better for me. Hate to spend the big money, but 13 years seems like time.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:01 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts

Thirteen years? Did you REALLY have to ask?

Change your oil a lot sooner!

frank
Old 03-17-2017, 12:21 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by keeso6z
I don't want the extra weight and stuff in my car sliding around. I want it as light as possible. And I don't want to deal with fixing a flat tire. For this car, run-flats are a good idea as long as there are no real drawbacks/disadvantages to how the tires perform compared to non-run flats. I do hear they may be louder than non run-flats - that would be a drawback.
Runflats are going to give you worse performance than 5 lbs of equipment in the trunk of your car.

Runflats cons:
Heavier. 3-5 lbs per tire typically compared to non-runflats. Increased unsprung weight like heavier tires means that your suspension won't perform as well. Additionally, tires are rotating mass. Each lbs of rotating mass is about equivalent to 10 lbs of non-rotating mass. That means that having runflats is about equivalent to carrying 30-50 lbs in your car.
Louder.
Worse handling due to stiffer sidewalls.
Worse ride due to stiffer sidewalls and higher unsprung weight.

There is a reason the Z06 came without runflat tires and instead a tire seal and inflator kit. Runflats would not give the Z06 optimal performance.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:35 PM
Doug Doty
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rjwz2
I pretty much know the answer to this question but just want to hear it from you guys. Got a 03 coupe with only 16k miles and they have the original F1 run flats on them. They still have a lot of tread but from what have been reading they probably are unsafe.

I didn't know that tires have an age life until getting this car recently.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob

I went through all this 3 weeks ago exactly. !!! In the end the tires were were unavoidably old hard crystalized and just plan unfit and you will save yourself some grief if you just stop wishing it was ok to run them and buy a set. I am not picking at you but I agonized over replacing my tires I thought might be drivable. In my case and with 4 corner easy driving even wear and 18500 miles and un be known to me I had cords showing on the inner tread block of the right front, I did not even realize since you cant see back in there. it was visable in one area about 6" around. I bought Toyo Proxes T1 Sports from a famous auction site seller with wheels mounted and balanced delivered for the approx. cost on new good years. Reading reviews from a few years ago, when these tires were previously available and they were very well liked and I can now concur why. In the end tires that old are just done... The current Toyo's I referenced above were this winter build dates for what it is worth.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:00 PM
Black & Tan
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts

I had a 2000 coupe and always ran runflats - replacements were better than original Goodyears. I now have a 2002 that came with Nitto non-runflats. What a difference in ride and I can't believe how quiet it is. I immediately purchased a flat kit (compressor, fix-a-flat, plug kit, and AAA membership) and will never buy runflats again. I've been on two 3000+ mile trips with this car and haven't had a problem.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:08 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

13 year old tires are a guarantee of a blow out waiting to happen period!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:25 AM
Corvette Forum Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 145 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Front page coverage

Thought the front page crowd would benefit from all this helpful info...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...ear-old-tires/
Old 03-21-2017, 04:49 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,217 Likes on 777 Posts

I never had to think about tire aging while I was driving 2 cars 25K a year. They were replaced every 2-3 years. But now retired having 3 cars, none of them go over 5K a year(insurance credit a plus). I replaced my C5 run flats that were perfect in treat but 5 years old. It was heartbreaking (never had the noise or ride issues others reported) but listen to the tire experts (age does have benefits) and replaced them last year with non run flats.

Get notified of new replies

To 13 year old Goodyear run flats safe?

Old 03-21-2017, 05:01 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a 2006 Z06 with 2,400 miles on it and the original Goodyear run flats. They look fine, but I think they have hardened with age. My concern is a blow-out and damaging the body. The other day I did some spirited driving and they griped and rode fine. They seem to do a lot better in warm weather and are like bricks in cold weather. I'm looking at getting Michelin PSS run flats pretty soon since I'm riding on 11 year old tires. What may have preserved them is a climate controlled garage and low miles. But not going to take the chance - the car is to nice to screw up.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:26 PM
Hank Mills
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Failure At Tire Dealer

Took my 04 C5 in for a slow leak in the front. Tires were Mich Sport Pilots with gobs of tread. They were on the car when I bought it a year ago. The tire dealer put it on the breakdown machine. You can see from the picture that the blade went right through the side wall. They said this had never happened before. When checked the tires were 8 years old! On closer inspection there were some small cracks at the base of several tread blocks. They replaced all tires with a set of Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 at cost.
The fact that I'd spent a year on the interstate and carving mountain roads scares the crap out of me. Love the new tires. I think I got lucky. Question: Has anyone seen a tire damaged this way?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:58 PM
Rjwz2
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol, I had to show my wife that after posting this question about 13 year old tires, there is a whole article now about the dangers of old tires. I just ordered a set of non run flats BFGoodrich Gforce comps.

The tires on the car had a lot meat on there so I asked the original owner when he changed them and he said they were original! Not what I wanted to hear. I could have used the money I am paying for the tires for a set of wheels. Oh well. At least my tires will be safer and this may have saved my car and life.

Thanks to all who responded.

Rob

Quick Reply: 13 year old Goodyear run flats safe?