Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ProTEKt skidplate kit for all C5 Corvettes!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 12:27 PM
96darkhorse
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Payed yesterday, was shipped this morning, and should be receiving tommotow
Old 05-03-2017, 08:34 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 96darkhorse
Payed yesterday, was shipped this morning, and should be receiving tommotow

I'm trying!

Though new new to the whole business owner and marketing thing, I have worked in the automotive aftermarket for quite a while now, and I've always felt like it was important to keep inventory, and ship as quickly as possible.

I can't always ship same or next day, but that is the goal.

FYI, the install is not terribly difficult, but is is not as simple as the C7.

There are no factory holes, so you will need to take a bit of care to line it up just right. (I hold them in place with masking tape to get the fit right, and to hold it while I drill the first few holes.

If if you have any questions, hit me up!

Thanks,
Mitch
Old 05-03-2017, 09:22 PM
96darkhorse
Pro

Originally Posted by ProTEKtMitch
I'm trying!

Though new new to the whole business owner and marketing thing, I have worked in the automotive aftermarket for quite a while now, and I've always felt like it was important to keep inventory, and ship as quickly as possible.

I can't always ship same or next day, but that is the goal.

FYI, the install is not terribly difficult, but is is not as simple as the C7.

There are no factory holes, so you will need to take a bit of care to line it up just right. (I hold them in place with masking tape to get the fit right, and to hold it while I drill the first few holes.

If if you have any questions, hit me up!

Thanks,
Mitch

Yeah I was looking at the installed pics you put up and came up with the same observations on how to possibly install it. i guess I was lucky that the skid plate shipped from Gardena ca, which is 15 mins away from me lol. Either way, I appreciate the prompt service and the help offered
Old 05-05-2017, 02:43 PM
96darkhorse
Pro

This product couldn't come at a better time. I'm in the middle of replacing my front bumper. Purchased a used OEM one and got it painted. I was able to install the skidplate Off the car, which was a total breeze. The plates were light enough for me to use cheap tape to hold it down. Quality and fit on these skid plates are great. I Highly recommend it!
Attached Images    

Last edited by 96darkhorse; 05-05-2017 at 02:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ProTEKtMitch (05-05-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 04:40 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

This product couldn't come at a better time. I'm in the middle of replacing my front bumper. Purchased a used OEM one and got it painted. I was able to install the skidplate Off the car, which was a total breeze. The plates were light enough for me to use cheap tape to hold it down. Quality and fit on these skid plates are great. I Highly recommend it!
Thanks!

We work hard to get the fit just right.

Super glad you like them!

Mitch
Old 06-10-2017, 01:40 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Hey how are the skid plates holding up?

Thanks,
Mitch
Old 06-10-2017, 03:08 PM
96darkhorse
Pro

Hey how are the skid plates holding up?

Thanks,
Mitch
Hey Mitch! They are doing great. Still look just the way I got them. No complaints or issues with them whatsoever. This has been a great purchase so far! Thanks again!! Highly recommend these to anyone !
Old 07-15-2017, 11:01 AM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Hey guys, just an FYI, we have them now for the c7 corvettes equipped with the stage 2 and 3 aero kits that are an option on the z06 and grand sport models.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...and-sport.html

Thanks,
Mitch
Old 07-15-2017, 07:24 PM
96darkhorse
Pro

The only drawback, if there is one, is once you put em on c5, you can no longer install a front splitter.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:53 PM
bc6152
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

The only drawback, if there is one, is once you put em on c5, you can no longer install a front splitter.

I don't know what a front splitter is. Maybe a spoiler?
Old 07-15-2017, 10:51 PM
96darkhorse
Pro

Originally Posted by bc6152
I don't know what a front splitter is. Maybe a spoiler?
Splitter, spoiler. Whatever you wanna call it.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:01 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

As I see it, the drawback is that we've gone from fearing scratch or two which are never seen... To putting about 20 screw holes in the nose and a lip piece which is very visible.

Last edited by Tusc; 07-16-2017 at 12:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (02-21-2018)
Old 07-16-2017, 07:42 AM
bc6152
Drifting

Splitter, spoiler. Whatever you wanna call it.

OK Thanks. I just never heard it called a splitter.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:44 AM
bc6152
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tusc
As I see it, the drawback is that we've gone from fearing scratch or two which are never seen... To putting about 20 screw holes in the nose and a lip piece which is very visible.

I agree with you. Not for me... Just have to be very careful...
Old 07-16-2017, 07:48 AM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Yea, I'll be the first to admit that not everyone needs skid plates. If you are not scratching the bumper cover, or don't care, you maybe don't need them.

Here in So Cal, though, I see quite a few C5s with significant bumper damage from scraping, including the one I used for development.

I think the advantage of the plates is that the holes don't continue to get worse, but bumper wear does for some people. The car I had in the shop was nearly worn completely through the cover on the left corner.

Thanks,
Mitch
Old 07-16-2017, 11:24 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Yea, I'll be the first to admit that not everyone needs skid plates. If you are not scratching the bumper cover, or don't care, you maybe don't need them.

Here in So Cal, though, I see quite a few C5s with significant bumper damage from scraping, including the one I used for development.

I think the advantage of the plates is that the holes don't continue to get worse, but bumper wear does for some people. The car I had in the shop was nearly worn completely through the cover on the left corner.

Thanks,
Mitch
Yeah. Ouch. That one is a strong example. I guess I'm lucky here in CT. The car is a little lowered but the roads are pretty decent so scraping is uncommon.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:30 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Yeah. Ouch. That one is a strong example. I guess I'm lucky here in CT. The car is a little lowered but the roads are pretty decent so scraping is uncommon.
It's funny that you bring it up though...

Originally I wasn't going to do a kit for the C5 cars, but after we went to a Vette Club meeting here in So Cal, we got a TON or requests for it, as well as an education about ground clearance issues of the generations of the Corvette, where we learned that the C5 actually has more overhang, and is more likely to scrape the bumper cover than many of the later cars.

Thanks,
Mitch

Get notified of new replies

To New ProTEKt skidplate kit for all C5 Corvettes!!

Old 10-11-2017, 06:06 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Depending on how the splitter is made, you might be able to mount them on it, instead of the bumper itself. I would imagine that a splitter on an already low C5 would be pretty vulnerable to damage.

Thanks,
Mitch
Old 03-08-2018, 12:23 AM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Darkhorse,

To be honest, I'm not sure I've ever seen an aftermarket splitter for the C5 that I really liked, anyway.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:20 AM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

The only reason I haven't bought one of these is because I'm also considering a splitter. Since you obviously can't do both, how about a slight design change to your current protectors that extends the front edge out maybe 2" around the full outside edge making it a small splitter? You could still offer the regular skid protector design as well as an extended version? You have done a great job with your current design and how the 3 pieces are mounted plus I think it would look awesome and wouldn't require much change in your existing design?

Steve

Last edited by killian96ss; 03-08-2018 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Added information

Quick Reply: New ProTEKt skidplate kit for all C5 Corvettes!!