Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 11:44 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
Good thing you put that hideous windshield banner on. I almost mistook your car for a Hyundai. Now I know for sure, it's a "CORVETTE"...........

Shakey
...cute, snowflake...you ever heard of different strokes for different folks? That guys Black Vette with the stripes is HOT HOT HOT
Old 07-17-2017, 11:48 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Yello95
...cute, snowflake...you ever heard of different strokes for different folks? That guys Black Vette with the stripes is HOT HOT HOT

Snowflake? Seriously? You will have to explain how you arrive at that conclusion.....

Car looks good. Windshield banner, not so much.

And BTW, point to the part of my post where I bashed the car....

Shakey
Old 07-17-2017, 11:54 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Snowflake? Seriously? You will have to explain how you arrive at that conclusion.....

Car looks good. Windshield banner, not so much.

And BTW, point to the part of my post where I bashed the car....

Shakey
Calm down Chester...I never said you were bashing the car...I was joking about snowflake .........but you did say the windshield banner looked hideous...right? and I basically said ...each to their own...now go change your diaper and move on...
Old 07-17-2017, 11:58 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Noone ever made fun of Don Yenko's Novas with stripes...
To answer the OPs question, I think stripes should go from rear to front to look good .02 registered
To each his own, but honestly, Yenko days cars mostly also had 15" wheels, bias ply tires were common, power anything was for luxury cars, autos were 2 or 3 speed, manual were 3 or 4 speed...
So a direct comparison saying Yenko cars having stripes makes it good to today doesn't work for me. I don't hate stripes, but don't think they suit every car from every era, any more than I'd put 15" wheels on my Z.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:03 PM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Calm down Chester...I never said you were bashing the car...I was joking about snowflake .........but you did say the windshield banner looked hideous...right? and I basically said ...each to their own...now go change your diaper and move on...

Wow, quite the ***. Duly noted. Thanks for letting us know who you are. Much appreciated......

Shakey
Old 07-17-2017, 12:04 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by grantv
To each his own, but honestly, Yenko days cars mostly also had 15" wheels, bias ply tires were common, power anything was for luxury cars, autos were 2 or 3 speed, manual were 3 or 4 speed...
So a direct comparison saying Yenko cars having stripes makes it good to today doesn't work for me. I don't hate stripes, but don't think they suit every car from every era, any more than I'd put 15" wheels on my Z.
I was just basically talking about the stripes no matter what they were on...of course there is no comparison to yesteryears muscle cars...

and btw...all Yenko and Baldwin motion yesteryear muscle cars had a balanced and blueprinted engine...but we were not comparing cars...right?

Last edited by Yello95; 07-17-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:06 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal;1595162123[COLOR="Red"
]Wow, quite the ***. Duly noted. Thanks for letting us know who you are. Much appreciated......[/COLOR]

Shakey
OK I take it back...you are a snowflake...now step away from the mirror and stop calling yourself an ***...
Old 07-17-2017, 12:35 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

I was just basically talking about the stripes no matter what they were on...of course there is no comparison to yesteryears muscle cars...

and btw...all Yenko and Baldwin motion yesteryear muscle cars had a balanced and blueprinted engine...but we were not comparing cars...right?
We're mostly discussing aesthetics. Stripes and 15" wheels were common years ago...
Old 07-17-2017, 03:27 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

We're mostly discussing aesthetics. Stripes and 15" wheels were common years ago...
...and nostalgia is coming back and can be a good thing...stripes were always attention getting back then and also now...The Corvette in itself is attention getting...almost anything goes now...Cars also had BSMs way back when...
Old 07-17-2017, 04:36 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default You asked for opinions.

Originally Posted by EZ2BEVILC5
Hello,

I am going to take the Vette in for racing stripes. I wanted to get opinions on doing the roof. I have both the painted and glass top. If I did the roof and switched to the glass top then only the small section on the T-Bar would have stripes.

What do you guys think looks better. The roof with or without stripes on the roof?

Thank you.......
Here is my opinion... The C5 is already in your face, if kept nicely. Adding these stripes will only **** off those who think an " in your face ( smell me ) Corvette " is already a ***** enhancement.

In your face ( in this fashion ) stripes, badges, windshield decals, etc. are only going to draw unwanted attention. Of course its your car, but I would never consider anything so bold. I'm more of a clean and uniquely tasteful, kind of guy.

For example. my MCM hood is clean and tasteful, its not a big mail box or giant high rise. Tasteful is something that is not too in your face, you know something is different but not so different that its in your face, or draws immediate attention.

Again, this is my opinion. Not something subject to critique or argument.

You are doing the right thing to get opinions... because sometimes an opinion from someone might just open your eyes to the ills of a considered modification.

This consideration is not something easily reversible when it gets old, after the newness wears off. Then you are stuck with the results. ALSO CONSIDER THAT MANY PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM like to sugar coat or defend their own decision, and burry their head on the pitfalls and fall out from an ill conceived modification..

I've received hundreds and hundreds of PM's from members who made a bad decision on a modification. Most won't say so in open forum, and PM me for suggestions or empathy.
Do your research and make an informed decision.

I know a few things because I have seen a few things.
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 07-17-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:38 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

...and nostalgia is coming back and can be a good thing...stripes were always attention getting back then and also now...The Corvette in itself is attention getting...almost anything goes now...Cars also had BSMs way back when...
TBH nostalgia is not my thing. Old style bicycles, motorbikes, etc. Chrome is one that should have stayed in the past, never liked it, but then again as I said before, to each their own (many others dislike black wheels like I dislike chrome).
Old 07-17-2017, 06:38 PM
I’m Z one
Melting Slicks

Received 242 Likes on 150 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified

Lol 😝

Good thing you put that hideous windshield banner on. I almost mistook your car for a Hyundai. Now I know for sure, it's a "CORVETTE"...........

Shakey
Old 07-17-2017, 06:46 PM
Bob in Elliot Lake
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm generally not a fan of stripes on a C5, but I really do like those red stripes on a black C5 coupe. The windshield banner, not so much, but each to their own. If the owner likes it, it's perfect.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:36 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

I thought only teenagers thought stripes were cool?
Old 07-17-2017, 09:22 PM
Recon_Joe
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You know what they say about opinions ... they are like A**holes; everyone has one; and they are usually full of Sh**.

Do what you want. She's your car. You make her your own. "Tasteful" is subjective. What's "tasteful" to you may be over the top to others. What's over the top to you maybe the perfect look for others.

I've seen 4x4 Vettes, I have seen Vettes with spinners, I have even seen a Vette pulling a matching camper. Know what they all have in common ... to the owner of that Vette they are perfect.

If you want ... you strip that bad girl ... Stripe her in rainbow colors if that's your thing. She's yours. You make her perfect to you.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:49 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

TBH nostalgia is not my thing. Old style bicycles, motorbikes, etc. Chrome is one that should have stayed in the past, never liked it, but then again as I said before, to each their own (many others dislike black wheels like I dislike chrome).
Although I think stripes would look good for someone else, I would not put stripes on my big azzed mailbox High Rise MCM hood...I made a huge ill conceived modification that I may be sorry for...so I may just put the low rise MCM hood I got in my mancave that I just had painted to see if I like it better than my S/C MCM high rise mailbox hood...who knows, I may like it better than the one I have on now...

Here is my terrible embarrassing mailbox highrise pos Hood and the regular MCM hood under it ...

Heres the low rise MCM...huge difference(1.5 inches up front)...the low rise is so much nicer

Heres more shots of my fugly S/C high rise MCM Hood

Last edited by Yello95; 07-17-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:55 PM
Recon_Joe
Instructor

Oh EZ2BEVILC5 ... I thing you should do both tops ... but to me both looks are nice ... the solid top with the strips and the glass top without, even with strips on the cross bar, still a good look. Don't think you could go wrong either way.

Last edited by Recon_Joe; 07-17-2017 at 09:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions of Corvette Racing stripes

Old 07-17-2017, 09:59 PM
Recon_Joe
Instructor

Although I think stripes would look good for someone else, I would not put stripes on my big azzed mailbox High Rise MCM hood...I made a huge ill conceived modification that I may be sorry for...so I may just put the low rise MCM hood I got in my mancave that I just had painted to see if I like it better than my S/C MCM high rise mailbox hood...who knows, I may like it better than the one I have on now...

Here is my terrible embarrassing mailbox highrise pos Hood and the regular MCM hood under it ...

Heres the low rise MCM...huge difference(1.5 inches up front)...the low rise is so much nicer

That doesn't look bad. I like it. And i think with the right package stripes could work. But I think it looks good like that. ... Looks Beast!

Last edited by Recon_Joe; 07-17-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:04 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Recon_Joe
That doesn't look bad. I like it. And i think with the right package stripes could work. But I think it looks good like that. ... Looks Beast!

Thanks but this is the one on my car as we speak...its the high rise not the one you pictured

Old 07-17-2017, 10:18 PM
Recon_Joe
Instructor

Thanks but this is the one on my car as we speak...its the high rise not the one you pictured

Yeah that's the one I like best. Beast! Really nice look.

Quick Reply: Opinions of Corvette Racing stripes