Sponsored by:

C5 Dim Audio/Climate Control light

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 11:16 AM
rodbean
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 Dim Audio/Climate Control light

C5 audio/climate control unit light very dim. Adjustment all the way clockwise short of final click.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:22 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

That sucks...
Google​​​​​​ what you typed and add C5 Corvette forum. You will end up with approximately 300,000 results. Google works better than the search engine here.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:34 AM
rodbean
Cruising

Originally Posted by grantv
That sucks...
Google​​​​​​ what you typed and add C5 Corvette forum. You will end up with approximately 300,000 results. Google works better than the search engine here.
Thank you. Actually another easy way to get information about problems like this one is to look on YouTube. Now I know what has to be done. There are apparently eight resistors that can become cracked in contact locations. To fix them, you have to take out the unit, separate the circuit boards and solder the corners of each resistor (where they connect).

That's good to know but I think I'm going to gulp and spend the money. I presume that this procedure is beyond the capabilities, or at least, the inclination, of dealers and most shops so I'm probably looking at a new unit. Oh well.

RB
Old 07-25-2017, 12:14 PM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Received 1,223 Likes on 536 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by rodbean
Thank you. Actually another easy way to get information about problems like this one is to look on YouTube. Now I know what has to be done. There are apparently eight resistors that can become cracked in contact locations. To fix them, you have to take out the unit, separate the circuit boards and solder the corners of each resistor (where they connect).

That's good to know but I think I'm going to gulp and spend the money. I presume that this procedure is beyond the capabilities, or at least, the inclination, of dealers and most shops so I'm probably looking at a new unit. Oh well.

RB
ON a scale of 1-10 in difficulty, this repair is a 1. Seriously. I fixed mine and the hardest part was removing the HVAC unit itself. If you can't find a little shop to do it, seek out a member close to you that's willing to help. Where are you? If you're close to me, I'll help!!!
Old 07-25-2017, 12:15 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

You can get your HVAC dim display fixed for $55 from the same Vendor that did my full Radio & HVAC led upgrade. He advertises on Ebay, price includes return shipping.

Name:  DSC05991.JPG
Views: 2108
Size:  2.15 MB
Old 07-25-2017, 12:38 PM
coach.ty6
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

I had the same problem and fixed it myself. It's not that tough to do. Let me see if I can find it.

Update: This isn't the thread I used, but it has the same info.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...splay-fix.html

Last edited by coach.ty6; 07-25-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:58 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

OP, if you are in Southern California send me a PM. I can fix that for you this weekend. Take about an hour to do the repair from disassembling the dash to finishing the reassembly.

Gary
Old 07-25-2017, 02:56 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by rodbean
Thank you.

RB
The AC controller is easy to get out.
There are many places to send it and get it repaired such as:

http://c5led.com/prices/
Old 07-25-2017, 03:08 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 6speedsteve
You can get your HVAC dim display fixed for $55 from the same Vendor that did my full Radio & HVAC led upgrade. He advertises on Ebay, price includes return shipping.

Attachment 48117361
The one you want to steer clear of is CORVETTE SOLUTIONS on Ebay.
I cancelled the work even before sending my unit to him.(one day after it was ordered)
He didn't refund the amount back into my credit card,though in two different email to me he promised he would. and I had to get the credit card people to go after him.

To date the matter isn't settled, and he states to the credit card people he did the work on my unit, which he didn't.
I sent it out to another company, and have the receipts that they did the work.

The guys name is Silvano Ghali, and for sure you don't ever want to do business with this guy.

Just as a side note, I fixed the"dim light" problem myself,(that was an easy job) but to replace all the bulbs, I wanted to send it out to be repaired.

Last edited by calguy; 07-25-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:55 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

It really is an easy DIY. Complete instructions on removing the module on this forum. The problem is a broken solder joint on one of the eight resistors on the PC board as shown on instructions, easily fixed by re flowing the solder with a soldering iron.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:32 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by calguy
The one you want to steer clear of is CORVETTE SOLUTIONS on Ebay.
I cancelled the work even before sending my unit to him.(one day after it was ordered)
He didn't refund the amount back into my credit card,though in two different email to me he promised he would. and I had to get the credit card people to go after him.

To date the matter isn't settled, and he states to the credit card people he did the work on my unit, which he didn't.
I sent it out to another company, and have the receipts that they did the work.

The guys name is Silvano Ghali, and for sure you don't ever want to do business with this guy.

Just as a side note, I fixed the"dim light" problem myself,(that was an easy job) but to replace all the bulbs, I wanted to send it out to be repaired.
Daves http://c5led.com/prices/ did my conversion, no issues.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C5-CORVETTE-...NOtEzg&vxp=mtr

Last edited by 6speedsteve; 07-25-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:09 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 6speedsteve
Dave's illuminations fixed my module.
All the bulbs, plus both right and left switches.
Great work, and I am very satisfied.

Bob.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:44 PM
getherejune
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 what the rabbi said. honestly rodbean, you can totally diy! there are tons of vids out there-watch a few to get familiar with it, and then just go step by step. honestly not that hard at all-did ours in like an hour or 2 (and i worked slow and careful!) and now its bright as new, plus you get the satisfaction of doing it on your own

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Dim Audio/Climate Control light

Quick Reply: C5 Dim Audio/Climate Control light