Old 08-02-2017, 02:59 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Default "Stealerships"

As far as calling them "stealerships" try running one with all the aholes coming in wanting something for nothing. My philosophy was to get as much as i could for a car and if it was more than we paid for it, down the road it went. BUYERS ARE LIARS was one of my first lessons. Sales dept. works on commission, very difficult job.

I could only close one third of the visitors. Followed up the rest for 6 months and they never bought-tire kickers, just wasting my time.

People come in without a clue about what they want or what they can afford. They come in on a sale ad and then want retail for their ratty car. So many get turned down for finance and that's after being turned down by other dealers. It came down to "how much down and how much a month"?

A car is the 2nd largest purchase and many do no research on buying.

My car is a DD with over 90k. I take it to the local dealer who has a great Vette tech and I get a loaner. Indie shops have done me no better.

This posting is informational only, please don't criticize me.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:23 PM
mrmagloo
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

I can see why you didn't do so well.
The following 3 users liked this post by mrmagloo:
ArmchairArchitect (08-02-2017), Evil-Twin (08-03-2017), Yello95 (04-13-2018)
Old 08-02-2017, 03:28 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Old 08-02-2017, 03:50 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 629 Likes on 394 Posts

I personally find my local Florida dealerships sales methods unethical. Many offer to give you an extra thousand for your trade and they claim they will beat the competition or pay you $$ if they don't but it's all a scam to get you in the door. They won't write anything down on a sales agreement to go shopping with. When dealer #2 beats dealer #1 and you go back for your cash reward they tell you they could have beat that deal (after you purchased naturally). I drove two counties away, about 80 miles to make cash purchases on new vehicles in the last 5 years passing several same brand dealers along the way.

Sales managers have told me they have to do business that way because their competitors do. I've made consumer complaints to the state with little of no followup. It's a doggy dog business which I'm glad I'm not part of.

During my 2017 purchase I told the salesman and manager here is the stock number of the vehicle I want, here's my trade and here's a dollar number out the door, you have 40 minutes before my dental appointment. They counter offered, offered financing I didn't want and eventually followed me out the door in the pouring rain to accept my initial offer.

No personal criticism here but dealers have wasted more of my time than I have of theirs.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:50 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,212 Likes on 773 Posts

First truth, dealerships are in the business to make money. Second truth, I am in the business to make sure they do not make much. Third truth, know when to walk away. If you think dealerships try to rip you off, then you have not dealt with many realtors. After buying/selling 8 homes, agents are just as bad as car salesman in their lies and false promises. Always, buyer beware and do your homework on purchasing expensive stuff.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:51 PM
sloopdawg
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 132 Posts

I've never understood why the dealership can't just put how much the car is on the sticker and sell it for that, if your willing to pay the price you get it, if not you don't. There's too much deceit in how much their sticking you for. It should be more transparent.

Years ago there was a car salesman here that was known for his gift of gab. A young man saw he had a Duster for sale a stopped in to inquire. He told the young man that a little old lady had owned the car and only drove it to the grocery store and church. The young man said that was nice and all but he was looking for something that was a little more broke in because he wanted one to run at the track. The Car Salesman said, now wait a minute, wait a minute, she had a teenage grandson that drove the **** out of it.

I guess car salesmen are like a lot of people, some are honest some are not. It's up to the buyer to figure out who's full of crap and who's not.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:57 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

You closed a third of those that came through the door and you're complaining? Sounds like a pretty high success rate to me. With your attitude, I'm not surprised the other ones didn't come back and ask for you.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:02 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Please don't criticize. lol

Originally Posted by The Rabbi
People come in without a clue about what they want or what they can afford....
Most people have a clear idea about what they want and can afford. Guess who gums that up?
Old 08-02-2017, 05:22 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,226 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

My philosophy is to pay as little as possible for the car I want. If I can't get to an acceptable number, out the door I go.

The problem with some dealers around here is they think they are the only ones that offer that particular car I'm interested in. I've gone in, talked a while and asked for a day or two to think it over. Never received a follow-up call from the salesperson. If they're not interested enough to call me and ask what else they can do to close the deal, then good-bye sale.
The following users liked this post:
chasboy (08-05-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 05:34 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 02
You closed a third of those that came through the door and you're complaining? Sounds like a pretty high success rate to me. With your attitude, I'm not surprised the other ones didn't come back and ask for you.
I agree about the 33% deal, not sure but that seems off the charts to me.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:48 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

I feel fortunate, a good friend of mine owns a GM dealership so a new or slightly used vehicle purchase for my DD is the most painless thing in the world for me. We haggle for fun, but no one has ever been able to match the deals he gives.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:00 PM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

Just went thru this... I first did my homework on what my cars were worth as trade ins or private sale. I did a 2 car trade and saved almost $2,500 in sales tax. I went to different dealers, told them what I wanted and gave a reasonable amount of time come up with a car. Ended up at a dealer 5 miles from house. Deal was done in about 2 hours.
The Rabbi (08-03-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 06:06 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

IMHO, what "muddies up" a deal on a new car, is the fact that most people, myself included, is trading in their current car. And in many cases, that "trade-in" is a worn out, dented and dirty, POS........but they want "top buck" for it. That's when the BS starts.
Dark Sarcasm (08-04-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 07:08 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Do your homework first, see what they will offer including trade if applicable. This will not be anywhere near a real deal, ask for the best deal and see what the offer canges to, remember you did your homework so you will know how well they are treating you. If still no good tell them what you want and be reasonable. If they let you walk, then walk, (this worked for me) call from the road and tell your salesman you are on your way to buy a car today, right now for the price you have researched somewhere but you will turn around and come back this second if you can get close enough but either way you will have a car today.

Couple of rules.....
don't fall in love with a car
and it only works with cars that have a decent inventory.

You have the power/money and always prequalify at your own bank.

Last edited by Forcedvert; 08-02-2017 at 07:10 PM.
The Rabbi (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 12:33 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by sloopdawg
I've never understood why the dealership can't just put how much the car is on the sticker and sell it for that, if your willing to pay the price you get it, if not you don't. There's too much deceit in how much their sticking you for. It should be more transparent.
Seriously, just about everything else is sold this way - why all the mystery....We don't negotiate with the grocery store do we?

So if you're a good negotiator and its that time of month for the dealership to meet sales you get a good deal - not so much if you can't negotiate though right...

Oh, and don't get me started on 'Doc Fees" biggest rip off out there...

OP, I beg to differ with you- "BUYERS ARE LIARS" - I promise you, dealerships/salesmen are the BIGGEST LIARS.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:41 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Originally Posted by mrmagloo
I can see why you didn't do so well.
I asked for no criticism but you couldn't resist. What makes you think I didn't do well. I specialized in being a dealer consultant for the sales dept. after turning around several stores from losers to winners. My customer service index for GM was in the high 90%.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:46 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
First truth, dealerships are in the business to make money. Second truth, I am in the business to make sure they do not make much. Third truth, know when to walk away. If you think dealerships try to rip you off, then you have not dealt with many realtors. After buying/selling 8 homes, agents are just as bad as car salesman in their lies and false promises. Always, buyer beware and do your homework on purchasing expensive stuff.
Thanks so much to calling attention to the problem. I have had plenty of problems getting contractors, handymen etc to show up. I don't trust doctors or lawyers either. Products I've ordered show up mis-packaged, twice for the car.

Get notified of new replies

To "Stealerships"

Old 08-03-2017, 12:51 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Originally Posted by sloopdawg

I guess car salesmen are like a lot of people, some are honest some are not. It's up to the buyer to figure out who's full of crap and who's not.
Too bad the cars aren't sold at the sticker price. Many dealers put a selling price on the window but another dealer can undersell them.

As far as who is full of crap, it works both ways. The story about the Duster is a joke.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:53 PM
usgecko
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14

Originally Posted by The Rabbi
I asked for no criticism but you couldn't resist. What makes you think I didn't do well. I specialized in being a dealer consultant for the sales dept. after turning around several stores from losers to winners. My customer service index for GM was in the high 90%.
Definition of forum:

"a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged."

If you only want comments of a particular type maybe you should have your own blog...
Old 08-03-2017, 12:54 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Originally Posted by Black 02
What makes you think I was complaining? Just giving my experience. If you would have read correctly I said the rest weren't buyers.

Quick Reply: "Stealerships"