Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty headers or long tubes

Old 08-06-2017, 06:05 PM
99torchredlb
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Shorty headers or long tubes

What is the appx. hp difference in the 2.....buddys says small difference.

thanks
Old 08-06-2017, 06:23 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by 99torchredlb
What is the appx. hp difference in the 2.....buddys says small difference.

thanks
shorties, .002 hp gain.. Long tubes and a tune 30/35 hp.
The following users liked this post:
99torchredlb (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 06:57 PM
acuevo
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

I've heard with the Billy Boat shorties you can achieve 10 with a tune. You'll pay out the nose though for that 10 hp though. Unfortunately I'm going that route because they are carb certified and noblong tubes are. I can't take the chance at a $10k fine for moving my O2 sensors.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:06 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by acuevo
I've heard with the Billy Boat shorties you can achieve 10 with a tune. You'll pay out the nose though for that 10 hp though. Unfortunately I'm going that route because they are carb certified and noblong tubes are. I can't take the chance at a $10k fine for moving my O2 sensors.
Here is some inside information for you.. you can thank me later. Save your money on the shorties, the actual OEM exhaust manifold is a very high quality functianry part of the LSX motor.

All C5's come from the factory with a rich mixture tune. ( as a safety factor).. You can take any, I said any, C5 that has not been touched and have it tuned for your local altitude and barometric pressure, and get 10 HP without adding shorties.. they add nothing on their own.

Of course if you are a poser.. the shorties " Look like real Header" when you open the hood and if that is your mission then shorties will look like real headers, but they offer nothing in performance gains.

I know a few things because I have seen a few things

Bill aka ET
The following 2 users liked this post by Evil-Twin:
LoganExplosion (08-08-2017), Mike98SilVert (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 07:15 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 107 Posts

can achieve 10hp
the typical marketing hyperbole really states, "up to", which means aywhere beteen +10 and -x, where x=any number. Depending on design and execution, probable extra heat will not do the underhood plastic, including all those electrical connectors, any good.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (08-10-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 07:30 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

The LS exhaust manifolds are a far stretch better than the "log" manifolds of not that long ago. Take a look at a dismounted set on the motor side, they look kinda like... headers. Shorties seem pointless.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:32 PM
acuevo
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Here is some inside information for you.. you can thank me later. Save your money on the shorties, the actual OEM exhaust manifold is a very high quality functianry part of the LSX motor.

All C5's come from the factory with a rich mixture tune. ( as a safety factor).. You can take any, I said any, C5 that has not been touched and have it tuned for your local altitude and barometric pressure, and get 10 HP without adding shorties.. they add nothing on their own.

Of course if you are a poser.. the shorties " Look like real Header" when you open the hood and if that is your mission then shorties will look like real headers, but they offer nothing in performance gains.

Bill aka ET
Thanks, Bill, I appreciate your input. Frankly I don't want to spend the money on them if I don't have to, but I do want a mild cam and heads eventually on the car. Will the stockers cause problems or can they keep up? Obviously I won't gain as much without LTs and I may eventually just say F it and get LTs anyway, but just for my info I'd like to hear your opinion. For reference I'm thinking 224/228 112 lsa from TSP and some ported 241 heads.

Originally Posted by whalepirot
the typical marketing hyperbole really states, "up to", which means aywhere beteen +10 and -x, where x=any number. Depending on design and execution, probable extra heat will not do the underhood plastic, including all those electrical connectors, any good.
The claim wasn't from BB, I've seen people on the forum here say it. I'm wel aware of how a lot of performance parts can be exaggerated.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:37 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Longtubes or save your money.

Shorty headers will literally give you a better increase in performance from the weight savings than the increased power output.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:54 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

My thread on shorties with my Z06. I picked up power, but not everyone agrees with it. Go figure.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...orsepower.html

If you are planning to mod extensively down the line then opt for the longtubes. Otherwise Shorty's won't hurt performance wise. I enjoy mine and it freed up power.

Last edited by Not4spd; 08-06-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:27 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Thanks, Bill, I appreciate your input. Frankly I don't want to spend the money on them if I don't have to, but I do want a mild cam and heads eventually on the car. Will the stockers cause problems or can they keep up? Obviously I won't gain as much without LTs and I may eventually just say F it and get LTs anyway, but just for my info I'd like to hear your opinion. For reference I'm thinking 224/228 112 lsa from TSP and some ported 241 heads.
those are both good choices although I am not a perfornace engineer.

The claim wasn't from BB, I've seen people on the forum here say it. I'm wel aware of how a lot of performance parts can be exaggerated.
Right on about exaggerating and the blind leading the blind, and actual professional experience.. Ill give you a short story.. Any tenured members here will remember this.. Talk about hype..ten years ago

The Granatelli throttle body. claimed 15 to 20 HP...

many people bough it.. lots of "Oh wow what a great upgrade".. which brought about more purchases.. in 6 months due to some research we found that this modification actually took away 5 HP from the stock setup.
Dyno charts before and after where posted. 6 months later Granatelli came to this forum and offered everyone with a sales slip and date of purchase.. a New Throttle body, one that did not include the original factory flaw in the design. Granatelli came here and admitted it.. or the customer could get a full refund.
SO all those who said WOW# were clueless. and drug others into this negative modification.. this is internet hype, that's why I always say " be very careful who you listen to here "...

Just remember a corvette that has never been tune will ad HP with a real tune. If a modification has increased a before and after dyno with a tune remember 15 or 20 of that HP gain is due to the tune and not the modification.

Take this to the bank..

Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 08-06-2017 at 09:28 PM.
02BlownZ06 (08-10-2017), ljorges (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 11:30 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,204 Likes on 13,921 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Longtubes or save your money.

Shorty headers will literally give you a better increase in performance from the weight savings than the increased power output.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:37 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
the weight of shorties over stock manifolds are about the weight savings of 2 gallons of gas.. 12 lbs... If you think that it is worth it then good for you.. get them.keeping the cats warm with the stock manifolds' will cancel any weigh gains of the shorties. cats send impute to the PCM.

People who bought them will defend them.. some of us know better.
" Be very carful who you listen to here.

Bill aka ET
Old 08-06-2017, 11:46 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
the weight of shorties over stock manifolds are about the weight savings of 2 gallons of gas.. 12 lbs... If you think that it is worth it then good for you.. get them. keeping the cats warm with the stock manifolds' will cancel any weigh gains of the shorties. cats send input to the PCM.

Bill aka ET

Since weight saving was one of the most important demands from Dave Hill if these weight saving shorties were worth it, they would have been put on the car.. They made the windshield 1/3 thinner to get the Z06 through compliance.. and that savings was not 12 lbs. it was only 6 lbs.

These are things I know because I know a few things.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:48 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

the weight of shorties over stock manifolds are about the weight savings of 2 gallons of gas.. 12 lbs... If you think that it is worth it then good for you.. get them.keeping the cats warm with the stock manifolds' will cancel any weigh gains of the shorties. cats send impute to the PCM.

Bill aka ET
I'm pretty sure their answer is pointing out that shorties are pointless for performance.

Same as yours, well that's the impression I got anyway.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:54 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
I'm pretty sure their answer is pointing out that shorties are pointless for performance.

Same as yours, well that's the impression I got anyway.
My point that there is no advantage in weight savings since the stock manifolds are better even though they are heavier.. there is no performance gain or improvement in anything because they are lighter.. My point was that if you had 2 gallons less fuel in the tank there would be no weight saved.. just pointing that out.
Bill aka ET

There is no justifiable reason to spend 250 to 350 dollars for shorties, they add no value in performance or economy.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 08-06-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:00 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

If you are looking for performance, save that 250 to 350 and put it toward a tune ( 350 to 450 ), but take advantage of a tune when you add a performance modifier that the tune will enhance.. shorties and a tune will yield the same or slightly less hp then just a tune on a stock car.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:07 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Ask your wife what you should get, knowatimsayin?

LG Motorsports Super Pro's Loooog tubes + Jet-Hot ceramic coated.

From what I've read, in Cali only shortie's are allowed.

frank

Last edited by JETZ; 08-07-2017 at 02:10 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Shorty headers or long tubes

Old 08-07-2017, 03:47 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

If you are looking for performance, save that 250 to 350 and put it toward a tune ( 350 to 450 ), but take advantage of a tune when you add a performance modifier that the tune will enhance.. shorties and a tune will yield the same or slightly less hp then just a tune on a stock car.
Bill, I was thinking about long tubes, but a few people had concerns about heat radiation causing an increase in cabin heat and the possibility of damaging nearby electrical and other rubber components?
I'm also concerned about noise volume.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:19 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by chasboy
Bill, I was thinking about long tubes, but a few people had concerns about heat radiation causing an increase in cabin heat and the possibility of damaging nearby electrical and other rubber components?
I'm also concerned about noise volume.
everything is a trade off. I have no first hand knowledge of your concerns... the long tubes will be louder for sure.. heat from the stock system and cats can get very hot. You could ask bill curly he is a trusted colleague and has first hand knowlege. . He will give you the truth without sugar costing. , Patches would be another resource. . Both are top shelf members both with morals and ethics and an without an agenda.and with an abundant amount of knowlege, always willing to help
ArmchairArchitect (08-10-2017), chasboy (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 04:53 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by JETZ
Ask your wife what you should get, knowatimsayin?

LG Motorsports Super Pro's Loooog tubes + Jet-Hot ceramic coated.

From what I've read, in Cali only shortie's are allowed.

frank
For the B&B Shorties, they are CARB approved only on the C5 LS1......if you have a Z06 they are not CARB approved. I checked with Mike at B&B to confirm. I ended up with two sets of B&B Shorties while trading C5 parts last year. They are sitting on my shelf as I decide what I'm going to do with them.

For the C5 Z06 there is no header option that is CARB approved.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shorty headers or long tubes