Sponsored by:

C5 Decision

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 11:41 AM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
My neighbor has a '98 with a bad EBCM. He is having a hard time selling it with the warning light on.
I didn't say it didn't happen, just not as much as the later models.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:10 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Fcar 98
I have made this statement many times in the past. To me the people that are afraid of the early cars and what might go wrong. Are the same people that own an 01-04 that have had problems with their cars. I have been on this site for some time now and it seems to me that there is a higher percentage of failure of EBCM in the later models. I know of 3 98s that have not had this problem. Man am I glad I own a 98!!!
im not really sure how valid your statistics are on frequency of failures. A friend has an early car with a bad ebcm.

Even assuming your your statistics are right, you could get an 01+ ebcm fixed 5 times for the price of one used 98 unit. That's also assuming you pay absfixer, if you do the work yourself it's dirt cheap.

Or the the steering wheel position sensor. I replaced mine with a NIB oem unit for $40. A used 97-98 is sometimes $300-400

it isnt the fact that early cars are bad, it's just hard to not recommend buying the newer car, with more power, more torque, and cheaper more readily available maintenance items.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:44 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
im not really sure how valid your statistics are on frequency of failures. A friend has an early car with a bad ebcm.

Even assuming your your statistics are right, you could get an 01+ ebcm fixed 5 times for the price of one used 98 unit. That's also assuming you pay absfixer, if you do the work yourself it's dirt cheap.

Or the the steering wheel position sensor. I replaced mine with a NIB oem unit for $40. A used 97-98 is sometimes $300-400

it isnt the fact that early cars are bad, it's just hard to not recommend buying the newer car, with more power, more torque, and cheaper more readily available maintenance items.
I don't dispute any of this. What it appears to me is that the 01-04 owners worry more about the early cars than the owners of those cars. I'm not saying it is a fact. I would like to know the % of failure in these two runs of the C5.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:59 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Fcar 98
I don't dispute any of this. What it appears to me is that the 01-04 owners worry more about the early cars than the owners of those cars. I'm not saying it is a fact. I would like to know the % of failure in these two runs of the C5.
I hear that.

And as a side note, I distinctly remember replying in the "who's happy with their 97-00 cars?" thread with "literally everyone who owns one"

Late model guys will often treat them like their garbage, which is ridiculous.

Quick Reply: C5 Decision