Sponsored by:

WARNING: This rant may contain a post

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 07:00 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by MSGE

That was honestly much more of a response to this post than expected. Awesome. You guys are great.

When I first started looking into this forum, I was surprised by the overall quality of the contributors.

Such a wealth of information!!!

I've made much mental preparation for the projects, and I'll go into more detail shortly, but right now I'm just shooting out a quick reply to say thanks to everyone who replied with some positive feedback and entertaining commentary and hilarity.

I have plenty of response coming up.

Real quick : 99 coupe I think it's FE1 but haven't read vin related info. Going into it I knew pretty much everything would need to be addressed. So I've started with that mindset.

Thought there was a signature I filled out, and that it would show up in post, containing details of the car. I wrote one. I'll look into it.

More to come. Cheers.

Well you should at least get the "CF Good Sport Award" after that dog pile. You took it all like a true champ............

Shakey
Old 08-23-2017, 07:27 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
Well you should at least get the "CF Good Sport Award" after that dog pile. You took it all like a true champ............

Shakey
I was thinking the same thing. Many would just keep attacking the car and not get any use out of this forum.

Welcome
Old 08-23-2017, 07:29 AM
Xavierbank
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Dude a car is like a woman, if you don't show it some love it will leave you
The following users liked this post:
bikeriderga (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 08:35 AM
acuevo
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal

Shakey
Agreed hahahaha he'll do just fine here!
Old 08-23-2017, 02:29 PM
c5arlen
Melting Slicks

Received 818 Likes on 590 Posts

Hey All,

I was trying to find the right location for my second post, but I don't think there is a dedicated "Rant" forum (maybe religion and politics?), so this will do for now.

---------Annnnnd we're off

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to focus on the car at all yet (other than day dreaming and lists / sketches). House projects I'm doing for the landlord have been taking up the time and energy that could be going towards the car. This wouldn't be much of an issue, but... BUT... this thing needs attention!!!

I've put only a few hundred miles on it since purchase. Every time I drive it some new or weird little issue rears it's head. I'm looking forward to being able to just get in it and go and know that I can not worry about the car, but I think it's going to need a thorough going threw of pretty much everything first.

=Charging issues??? Or some kind of electrical tomfoolery. Causing occasional random dying and not starting.
=The window issues. Combined with the dual zone climate issues. And the all black everything in California heat. My options for cooling are limited.
=Lowered on stock bolts to the point of hiliariously slow manuevering on any surface with undulations. Scraping.
=Can't jack the car up and put it on stands to un-lower it with out doing research... and using special hockey puck items....
=The shifter doesn't work.
=The parking brake doesn't work.
=The seats are hilariously bad.
=The ride quality is bad.
=The handling on stock suspension is vague and worrisome.
=The roof lets the sun in no matter what, and leaves me using a hand to shield my eyes.
=The gas brake and clutch pedals were designed and set up by an accountant. An accountant who hates cars. And fun.
=The headlights are pop up. They take two tries at the switch. Usually. But not always. And they don't always retract.
=The gas door button doesn't work. At least I got to remove my carpet in a gas station to get to the manual release, lol. (Last owner just used key to pry it open...... )

After doing some research, I've concluded that THESE ARE JUST THE FACTORY OPTIONS!!!!!!!!

Like, wow. Wow.

I'm very excited to tear into the car and make it right, but WOW!

I got the car for a defined purpose: To be a car I can drive legally to and during and back from track events, and enjoy overall as transportation as well. And I'm not dissappointed. I will fix the issues, and enjoy the car. But WOW!

The car was a good deal. A Great performance bargain really. But that bargain came with some baggage!!!!

I thought at first that it would be unusual to have these kinds of issues. Then I did some research. Turns out having the parking brake not engage (at all: zero engagement) is TOTALLY NORMAL if you have not taken the components off and adjusted them yourself.

That is Corvette stuff.

Words cannot express how blown my mind is.

I am so excited to tear into this thing.

So glad I have the opportunity to tear into this thing.

I'm excited and terrified about the things I'll learn and encounter. Mostly excited. Looking forward to the journey.
Sounds like you've purchased a BMW and somehow confused CorvetteForum with the forum you usually complain with...that one being elsewhere friend.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:54 PM
Paul Wood
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

With all due respect MSGE I think you need a good reliable Honda Civic.
Seriously ridiculous.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:09 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

That was honestly much more of a response to this post than expected. Awesome. You guys are great.

When I first started looking into this forum, I was surprised by the overall quality of the contributors.

Such a wealth of information!!!

I've made much mental preparation for the projects, and I'll go into more detail shortly, but right now I'm just shooting out a quick reply to say thanks to everyone who replied with some positive feedback and entertaining commentary and hilarity.

I have plenty of response coming up.

Real quick : 99 coupe I think it's FE1 but haven't read vin related info. Going into it I knew pretty much everything would need to be addressed. So I've started with that mindset.

Thought there was a signature I filled out, and that it would show up in post, containing details of the car. I wrote one. I'll look into it.

More to come. Cheers.
Well, hopefully you're able to get your C5 back in solid condition.

I'll chime in to actually try to be helpful now. These are great cars, I've been running mine hard for 40k miles and its been great. Then again, I also am meticulous with maintaining it and don't let repair needs pile up like the previous owner of yours seems to have.

The seats are known for being a weak point on the C5. There are relatively inexpensive replacement options, but I've actually found that several of my friends who think the seats are garbage, actually have broken "wings" for the side bolstering. My seats are in good shape, and I added some extra lumbar padding and side bolstering, and now I don't have any interest in aftermarket seats despite coming from a car with sparco milano prestige seats.

As for the headlight switch, it's pretty easy to pull it and fix the issue.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-a-how-to.html

Good luck.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:15 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by c5arlen
Sounds like you've purchased a BMW and somehow confused CorvetteForum with the forum you usually complain with...that one being elsewhere friend.
After owning a BMW and a Cooper S out of factory warranty that doesn't seem too far fetched !

I loved them both but they drove me insane. They did turn me into quite the mechanic and I'm not afraid to tackle any job a Corvette can throw at me.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:22 AM
MSGE
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MikeG37 and Rabbi and several others who's names escape me: You guys are hitting it all right on the head!!!!!

I wrote way to much last night and never parsed it down to post it. I'll synthesize:
VVV
VV
V
I knew what I was getting into. Love it. Embrace it. Implored it. It's my next step.

The test drive showed me that the car was exactly what I wanted.

Some people don't want a challenge. I grew up with challenge.

In other new, I just named my Car while writing this!!!!! Charlotte!!! ~~~~
Old 08-24-2017, 08:28 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 291 Likes on 224 Posts

Sell it move on . These C-5 are not easy to work on need to know something about them . The fact you want to tackle this beast tells me you just want to work on something .. Good luck you'll need it .. True all C-5 aren't created equal .. Just kike any =thing used have to make its in good shape . Called home work .. Most if not al the C-5s you see in this deal are the results for Very hard work money friends helping friends ,the good ferry did not drop these fine C-5 at the front door..
Old 08-24-2017, 04:45 PM
MSGE
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll give a little background to clarify some things.

I didn't get many toys growing up. Since a few years ago, after getting into public service that's been pretty stable source of income, I've been able to afford a few toys. I did over time stack up well over ten thousand hours in Gran Turismo etc (as many people no doubt have in the last twenty years).

I wrench on cars. For a long time I had no way to get to work other than my car. Needed to get there to maintain my level of poor, so I had to fix the car sometimes. Also, didn't have money to put into it. And couldn't risk breaking it. So I just learned the basics.

Also, since it was an all wheel drive subaru (a slow one), I drove the wheels off that thing in the winter!!! I was only really able to tune with air pressures and weight distribution. That was enough to make that thing carve the snow nicely!!!

After being able to have toys, I learned more in depth maintenance. I have friends who are car people, because I'm car people. We do projects. And generally just enjoy our cars.

I've done some track time. I ride sportbikes too. I've spent considerable time doing this stuff.

With the price I got the car for, after I put in some sweat equity - which I enjoy doing - I could easily sell it for profit.

I got it for about 3-4k less than I usually see them listed at in my area 7.2k.

By the way, the problems I listed are maybe not quite as bad as first post makes it seem. Having tough time shifting into 6th, (sometimes not at all no matter what), probably doesn't equate to "shifter doesn't work".

I did this in part to see how many people would get riled up and silly. It worked, I laughed, some people got the joke; the joke got some people. Also, some people appear to have forgotten the title by the time they looked away from it. Rant was a dead give away.

It's just really surprising coming from other vehicle types, to find out this is a common issue.

I have driven/ridden/owned/wrenched:
'70 something honda cb750
'70 something honda cb750
'07 yamaha r6s
'94 subaru legacy wagon /auto
'92 lexus sc300 /5sp MOST LEARNING
'90 mazda rx7 /5sp
'91 acura integra /5sp BEST HANDLING
'99 lexus es300 /auto BEST QUALITY
'04 honda cbr600rr
'05 suzuki gsxr750 FASTEST
'94 mazda miata /5sp MOST POTENTIAL
'14 toyota camry /auto+pdl INCREDIBLY BORING
'01 bmw 325ci /5sp
'01 bmw 540i msport /6sp
'99 chevorlet corvette /6pd

In that order.

The corvette is my only American Vehicle to date. It has the best forum that I've seen so far. Immense knowledge base, and awesome people. Less not good people.

It's also my best car to date for what I want it for, taking resources into account.

But also some hilarious quality issues are present. I have no doubt these were due almost exclusively to the accounting end of things. Anybody who denies there are quality issues hasn't been objective with their thinking in that regard (and that's okay, I'm sure you are all special and unique butterflies or whatever)

Quick Reply: WARNING: This rant may contain a post