Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those who went from MGW shifter to???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 10:00 AM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Add a washer to the detent and it will change your life.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:38 AM
jost6453
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by jost6453
The MGW with the solid shaft did not work for me. Throw was too short, effort too high, and it started to bother my 65yr old wrist as there was NO cushion going into gear. My solution was to modify an OE shaft (made it considerably shorter) and mate it to the MGW box. Throws are s little longer (so what?) .... but effort is lower and there is a slight cushion. I also added one washer to the detent. Also switched to a C4 ****. Perfect setup for me. Love it now!

here are a couple pics showing my adaptor bracket to get the shaft in center ..... and the shortened OE shaft I used to get some cushion.

Last edited by jost6453; 04-23-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:18 AM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Received 173 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Pounder
the lower box is EVERYTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree the box is the biggest difference. It is responsible for rattling vibration and most of the slop in the assembly. If you want to address those issues with a solution that will last forever check out this thread, I'll link it at the bottom.

That being said, going to the shorter shifter is always going to require more effort getting into gears because your reducing your leverage, pretty straightforward. Maybe you can find the specs on some different shifters (tops) to see if you can go with one that is shorter, but not as short as yours. Might be tough to find but that might be the way to go.
Either way you go it's almost certainly a good idea to do the box, it's only $125.00 shipped.

C5, C6 & C7
Performance Shifter Boxes
Upgraded Shifter Options

Zero-Slop Shifter Linkages
Don't replace your clutch without upgrading your linkage!

www.TMODCUSTOMS.com
info@tmodcustoms.com

Old 04-23-2018, 06:18 AM
NCVette1
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

IMO Anti venom mod is a must with any shifter. For a C5 I dont think there is much better than a MGW or a modified C6 Z06. Even then it wont be anywhere near as good as a standard BMW, Porsche, or Honda shifter... In stock form the C5 shifter is bad. You cant do any worse if you tried.

The only ones that seem to like it are the ones that like to say they have a stock chevy. Which no one ever gave a damn about anyway.

Last edited by NCVette1; 04-23-2018 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:59 PM
mackey
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oh1vette
Thinking about swapping out my MGW for something else and wanted some opinions from those that went from the MGW to what other shifter...

I like the notchiness of the MGW, but its still very stiff after several years of use....maybe I'm getting old, but was thinking of swapping to something with less effort...

Thanks....
Maybe contact MGW or TMod and get the lower box if you've had the MGW top for a while.

I recently bought the MGW with the lower box and coming from a Ralco shifter and stock lower, it feels as easy to engage as I remember stock being yet smoother and without the long throw.

Quick Reply: Those who went from MGW shifter to???