Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Put down deposit. Anyone recognize this car? Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 04:37 AM
Troy Brown
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put down deposit. Anyone recognize this car? Advice?

Hello.
New member. I have been wanting a Z06 for years and finally found one that I think looks amazing. I was curious if anyone here has previously owned this car? Could any members of the forum give some advice on what they see from the pics and description that I should be wary of.

2002 Red / Mod Red-Black Two Toned Leather Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Hardtop with Tasteful Modifications and the Z06 Alloy Wheels!

One of a Kind Immaculate Showroom condition C5 Z06 tastefully modded and tuned with Vortec U3 Supercharger. The car moves and drives like a normal Z06 and you can talk comfortably on your phone; when you floor it; it feels like your taking off in a modded spaceship. Out of this world one of a kind C5 Z06!

List of Tasteful Modifications:

New Bridgestone Pontenza’s Tires
Vortech U3 Supercharger
Running 8 1/2 Lbs of Boost
572 RWHP
Many 1st Place Trophies
This C5 Z06 comes equipped with the six speed manual transmission, cd player, power windows, power locks, power mirrors, heads up display and the Z06 Alloy Wheels. It is in excellent showroom condition and has been highly maintained.
What I am curious about.
1. The description mentions a Vortec U3, but I suspect they mean a V3 from following some threads here.
2. I don't see any Boost gauges. Is it normal for a boosted vehicle to not have boost gauges?
3. 10K miles seems very low.

Any help you great folks could provide would be great. I am just trying to avoid buyers remorse or worse, a lemon of a car.

http://www.corvettewarehouse.com/200...-Texas/6164317

Last edited by Troy Brown; 10-10-2017 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:05 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Looks like a clean example to me. And the price is right for those miles and the mods. If it checks out, I think you did good. The boost gauge could be in the center console behind the flip up door.

So obviously you haven't seen this thing in person, that's strange. Hopefully your deposit is refundable if it's not what it seems to be.

Shakey

Last edited by Shakeydeal; 10-10-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:50 AM
ZEEZERO-6
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 79 Posts

looks like mine but mines a 2004. Did not read everything but make sure that the valve springs have been replaced, with the SC system they should have been ?
Old 10-10-2017, 10:19 AM
jeff7251954
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

The pictures look excellent. The car, minus the supercharger, should sell at $ 24k, maybe 25. I don't know whether to adjust the price up or down for the supercharger. I think that depends on the buyer. Nice, nice car!
Old 10-10-2017, 10:47 AM
txz06ce
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are buying this without seeing it in person & driving it, I would ask them to supply you with a Carfax report.
Nice looking car!
Old 10-10-2017, 01:45 PM
thatguy662
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Depending on how it has been driven, even with 11k miles, transmission would be a concern to me since thats a big chunk of change
Old 10-10-2017, 03:24 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Brown
Hello.
New member. I have been wanting a Z06 for years and finally found one that I think looks amazing. I was curious if anyone here has previously owned this car? Could any members of the forum give some advice on what they see from the pics and description that I should be wary of.

What I am curious about.
1. The description mentions a Vortec U3, but I suspect they mean a V3 from following some threads here.
2. I don't see any Boost gauges. Is it normal for a boosted vehicle to not have boost gauges?
3. 10K miles seems very low.

Any help you great folks could provide would be great. I am just trying to avoid buyers remorse or worse, a lemon of a car.

http://www.corvettewarehouse.com/200...-Texas/6164317
Sounds like a great buy. Try to find out who installed the SC and when/if you find out, give them a call and ask them about it.

If I did not own my 03 (same color), I would be interested.

Last edited by bikeriderga; 10-10-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:58 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Don't judge it all by the mileage. 10,000 miles is nothing with a Gramma driving it, but it could also be a LOT of miles if the blower went on at mile #400 and the previous owner stood on it a lot.

Everything I've ever read about the c5 z06 drivetrain says that all the OEM clutch, trans, torque tube bushings, and half-shafts can handle is ~450rwhp. Most prudent guys would recommend a beefed trans, hardened half-shafts and aftermarket clutch for 450+ to the rear. If the dealer's claim is correct at 572rwhp, I'd be ready to drop ~$8-10,000 into the drivetrain at any time, just because. If I was to believe the knowledgeable authors on this forum, the least I'd do is buy a transmission and a differential brace immediately before I WOT'd that baby. And like another member has advised--be sure to confirm the valve springs have been upgraded. I'm damn near positive 2002 was the ugly year for springs.

For reference, in 2012, I paid $25,000 for an 03 z06 with 25,000 miles, so the addition of a blower a year older is probably just about right for $27,000... what I'd call a 'fair' price--no one gets "hurt".

Edited to add: w/ a blower, there ain't no way you're gonna average 28mpg on the freeway--more like 24-25 maximum if you baby it without cruise control. Some might claim more, but that blower's gotta leech its' power from somewhere. It don't come free.

Last edited by dork; 10-10-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:52 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

That looks like a pretty good buy. I purchased a black '02 Z06, mod red interior with a magnuson blower on it, in mint condition with 19K on the clock for $24K a little over a year ago. It is a rocket (at least to me anyway) and I have stood on it some when I first got it just to experience the power and since drive more civil but I have had no issues whatsoever and at 70 mph I average 26 to 27 mpg all day long. If you stand on it the mileage drops dramatically. I can't believe how fuel efficient it really is when just puttering around or crusing on the highway.

I purchased mine in Winsconsin without seeing it in person and had it shipped to my door for $700. It was exactly as described and I was very happy with the purchase. I felt with the questions I asked and the documentation provided about the vehicle's history that it was a safe purchase. Maybe I was lucky but you can purchase a car without driving it and seeing it first. I do it all the time with my company vehicle. A friend of mine owns a GM dealership and he finds me next to new Suburbans or Yukons at auctions and buys one for me at substantial discounts and I have been happy with the last three he has purchased for me.

Good luck with your purchase!! Looks like an awesome ride!
Old 10-13-2017, 03:29 AM
Troy Brown
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02BlownZ06
That looks like a pretty good buy. I purchased a black '02 Z06, mod red interior with a magnuson blower on it, in mint condition with 19K on the clock for $24K a little over a year ago. It is a rocket (at least to me anyway) and I have stood on it some when I first got it just to experience the power and since drive more civil but I have had no issues whatsoever and at 70 mph I average 26 to 27 mpg all day long. If you stand on it the mileage drops dramatically. I can't believe how fuel efficient it really is when just puttering around or crusing on the highway.

I purchased mine in Winsconsin without seeing it in person and had it shipped to my door for $700. It was exactly as described and I was very happy with the purchase. I felt with the questions I asked and the documentation provided about the vehicle's history that it was a safe purchase. Maybe I was lucky but you can purchase a car without driving it and seeing it first. I do it all the time with my company vehicle. A friend of mine owns a GM dealership and he finds me next to new Suburbans or Yukons at auctions and buys one for me at substantial discounts and I have been happy with the last three he has purchased for me.

Good luck with your purchase!! Looks like an awesome ride!
Thanks for all the great advice. I wound up not being able to secure financing on a car that old. I did manage to find a 2012 GS 3LT that I just closed on this evening. It's a killer car and I plan on having it for years.

Get notified of new replies

To Put down deposit. Anyone recognize this car? Advice?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Put down deposit. Anyone recognize this car? Advice?