Sponsored by:

C5 front air dam aero

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 08:36 PM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp1588
Didn't realize so many people had these hood vents. The previous owner was kind enough to put them on for me. I didn't realize they were actually aerodynamically functional.
I use the ZL1 vent on mine as it looks more "factory" hahah. Never had an issue with temps beyond a normal vette really but on Drag Week anything you can do to prevent stuff is a smart choice. I can honestly say that at highway speeds the vent alone was worth a solid 10 degree temp reduction during the heat of the day and more during the night time drives. Some evening drives it was down as low as 167 degrees, and that's after hours of continuous driving while towing its own trailer that weighs 500lbs loaded.

- Travis
Old 02-15-2018, 08:52 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by trayack
I use the ZL1 vent on mine as it looks more "factory" hahah. Never had an issue with temps beyond a normal vette really but on Drag Week anything you can do to prevent stuff is a smart choice. I can honestly say that at highway speeds the vent alone was worth a solid 10 degree temp reduction during the heat of the day and more during the night time drives. Some evening drives it was down as low as 167 degrees, and that's after hours of continuous driving while towing its own trailer that weighs 500lbs loaded.

- Travis
Mine gets pretty warm, though I've got an iron block. Might not dissipate heat as well. Maybe that's why the previous owner installed the vent.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:04 AM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikwithAK01
Thanks not my car, but this is!

They are made by Trackspec Motorsports

Who makes the splitter on the front of your car? If you were to
draw a straight line down from the edge of the bumper to the ground does it go past that line?
Old 03-27-2018, 03:44 PM
WillItFloat
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I just want to thank vettedean for this post. Until I read it I had no idea that my car was missing the two end pieces of the air dam. I will be installing them soon or maybe a whole new assembly. Thanks again.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:50 PM
Rlb2002vette
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Navy Blue 210
I have the same TrackSpec Vents on my C5 Coupe.
Preparing for the Mojave Magnum in April,
Would you share your pre & post top speed along
with RWHP and Engine Details.
Thank You.

Which ones are they? I'm ready to cut into the hood of my c5. Does the center vent contour to the center rib in the hood without having gaps in the center between the hood and vent? Ty for sharing your knowledge with a NEWBIE here on CF. Rick
Old 03-30-2018, 02:02 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rlb2002vette
Which ones are they? I'm ready to cut into the hood of my c5. Does the center vent contour to the center rib in the hood without having gaps in the center between the hood and vent? Ty for sharing your knowledge with a NEWBIE here on CF. Rick
It doesn't really contour to the hood, but it's got a vertical bit that fills in that area. It looks fine, but it will collect water if it rains.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:55 PM
Rlb2002vette
Racer

Originally Posted by jrp1588
It doesn't really contour to the hood, but it's got a vertical bit that fills in that area. It looks fine, but it will collect water if it rains.
ok that's what I was wondering about the gap. Does the water have any bad effects out of the center vent because I have a Airaid air filter on it? Ty for making time for me, to answer my questions.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:57 PM
Rlb2002vette
Racer

Sorry I forgot to ask which Trackspec three vents do you have? What are they made out of?
Old 03-30-2018, 04:57 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

I drive mine in rain all the time, and I've got an open element filter...I think mine is a K&N. I've had no issues. I think the vent is actually behind the air intake anyway.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:58 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rlb2002vette
Sorry I forgot to ask which Trackspec three vents do you have? What are they made out of?
They were on my car when I got it, so I couldn't really tell you.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:03 PM
Rlb2002vette
Racer

Ty jrp1588 for answering my questions. Y'all on CF are the best!
Old 03-31-2018, 10:44 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

The 3 pieces are functional. For stability, and cooling. My front end does not require the pieces.
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2018, 12:40 AM
tcstaples
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
The 3 pieces are functional. For stability, and cooling. My front end does not require the pieces.
What brand of front bumper do you have and did it require much prep and fitting before paint?
Old 06-11-2018, 09:23 AM
Octagon8
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice what splitter and side skirts are those? Very nice look with function.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:04 PM
Clay_from_Verus
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any more photos of this setup? I'm looking to build my own splitter and this intrigues me.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:06 PM
Clay_from_Verus
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any more photos of this splitter and air dam setup?

It stops excessive air from building up in the wheel wells, which not only causes lift, but decreases how much air you can get in to cool the brakes (only a problem on the track). It also stops high velocity, turbulent air coming in under the car from continuing back. You need air underneath to feed the radiator, but not anywhere else; you want as little high velocity air under the car as possible. Also, tires are like a brick wall when they computate drag; best to direct air around them, than to leave them to open frontal air flow.

The front end on the C5 is a tricky one since it bottom feeds the radiator, so you will always have a light front end at real high speeds in stock trim. If you have a vented hood, it greatly reduces that effect. On C5 track cars, it is common to completely cap off the bottom of the car, and turn it into a front breather. Then use a big splitter to get good front downforce, and vent the radiator out the hood. Often times (rules allowing) you see track cars vent their front fenders through the hood as well (important if you have a powerful brake cooling system for track use).

The hood on my car will balloon up so severely at 160mph, you could slide your whole hand between it and the fender. As soon as I cut vents in my hood, I picked up not only high speed stability, but about 20mph in top speed!

At the end of the day, they are good for a street car. Do you NEED them? No. Do they benefit the car in aerodynamically stock trim? Yes.
Old 09-05-2022, 03:39 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

It stops excessive air from building up in the wheel wells, which not only causes lift, but decreases how much air you can get in to cool the brakes (only a problem on the track). It also stops high velocity, turbulent air coming in under the car from continuing back. You need air underneath to feed the radiator, but not anywhere else; you want as little high velocity air under the car as possible. Also, tires are like a brick wall when they computate drag; best to direct air around them, than to leave them to open frontal air flow.

The front end on the C5 is a tricky one since it bottom feeds the radiator, so you will always have a light front end at real high speeds in stock trim. If you have a vented hood, it greatly reduces that effect. On C5 track cars, it is common to completely cap off the bottom of the car, and turn it into a front breather. Then use a big splitter to get good front downforce, and vent the radiator out the hood. Often times (rules allowing) you see track cars vent their front fenders through the hood as well (important if you have a powerful brake cooling system for track use).

The hood on my car will balloon up so severely at 160mph, you could slide your whole hand between it and the fender. As soon as I cut vents in my hood, I picked up not only high speed stability, but about 20mph in top speed!

At the end of the day, they are good for a street car. Do you NEED them? No. Do they benefit the car in aerodynamically stock trim? Yes.
Who makes all this aero? I know the hood vents, but the front lip and side skirts?

Quick Reply: C5 front air dam aero