Sponsored by:

Check your Attic Ladders!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 02:28 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,080 Likes on 2,049 Posts

Originally Posted by Choreo
He was the first person I called. He just chuckled when I told him the story. According to him he has installed many over the past 30 years or so and never heard of a problem. Of course, if you are dead I guess you can't complain!

When I mentioned to him that he used the wrong kind/number of screws and that 1/4" Lags were recommended by the manufacturer, he said "You don't want to use those because they will split the wood and you would have to drill pilot holes". God forbid that someone would have to take 5 minutes to drill pilot holes to save a life! If I were him, I would not be laughing about the issue - I would be going back to every install I had done over the years offering a free safety check to hopefully avoid a multi-million dollar lawsuit!
You should tell him that you're going to the local news station and newspaper with the story and his name and then see how much he laughs. What a tool he is.

Last edited by Mike98SilVert; 11-04-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:48 PM
Tefer
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert
You should tell him that you're going to the local news station and newspaper with the story and his name and then see how much he laughs. What a tool he is.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:56 PM
Awkwardcrane
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Was it set up so the bottom was firmly on the floor? If so it’s really scary because 70% of your weight was on the floor?
Old 11-04-2017, 05:27 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Impropercrane
Was it set up so the bottom was firmly on the floor? If so it’s really scary because 70% of your weight was on the floor?
Yes. I always thought that most of the weight was transferred to the floor, but I am not sure that is the case with this design where the stairs fold up the way they do. I suspect those support arms that are on each side are subjected to a substantial amount of the load especially as you climb onto that top section - of course I never made it that far! That screw on the right side was apparently just ready to snap and did not need much force. Had I not tried to climb "up", my guess is as soon as one of the workmen started down, it would have collapsed before he got to the 2nd step from the top and that would have been all she wrote!

If the ladder were a single section and leaned against a wall, then it probably does take nearly all the weight at the bottom, but since these stairs essentially bend in the middle towards the attic, I am not so sure. Even if this ladder were secured totally at the top and bottom (on the floor) - without those side struts it would try to sag in the middle - that would mean those little side members could easily take a lot of the load? I would not want to try to climb up that 3-section ladder even if it were bolted at the top AND to the floor without those side struts securely in place.

In addition to using the wrong screws, I also did not find any "shims" in the pieces that came down, so it is also totally possible that the frame was not completely snug to the joist which obviously would be a disaster - if that was the case it is amazing it lasted 15 years!

I guess the thing that surprises me the most, is that even with the new Louisville 375-lb limit replacement I just bought, it also only provides for a single screw to be used at each side member attachment point through the metal pivots - so no matter how many screws I add to the cheap wooden frame the integrity still rests on a single screw!

Last edited by Choreo; 11-04-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:54 PM
Awkwardcrane
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Forgot about it hinging. I think you are right, once you get above the bottom hinge in the ladder that support carries the weight. I used a similar one for many years, but I installed a 2x12 all around the opening in the attic to keep blown insulation out and also so you had to climb over it at the top. Keeps your feet from accidentally going in the hole.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:10 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Impropercrane
Forgot about it hinging. I think you are right, once you get above the bottom hinge in the ladder that support carries the weight. I used a similar one for many years, but I installed a 2x12 all around the opening in the attic to keep blown insulation out and also so you had to climb over it at the top. Keeps your feet from accidentally going in the hole.
My opening is framed all around with 2x12's - that is what the used for all my joists in the garage.

I plan to add some nylon ratchet straps and buckles rated at 3000-lbs going from the pivot points on the joists and through the bottom of the top section of the ladder to be on (hopefully) the safe side. I will post some photos after the new install. I never have trusted those swing down supports! In 20 years this is the first time my house tried to kill me!

Last edited by Choreo; 11-04-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:56 PM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by jeff7251954
Excellent post and one of many perils awaiting in your garage. Garage doors with springs instead of torsion bars need a safety wire run through the spring. I had a spring pop years ago with $ 3k damage to the 911 below. Poorly attached shelving is another area to check.
Great info. Could save a life. First check the ladder then install safety wire.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:35 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

Glad you made it through all that okay.

So the contractor said he installs them like that all the time? Not good!
Old 11-06-2017, 07:05 AM
Riteaidkid84
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Good idéal I ll check tanks
Old 11-06-2017, 07:14 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Default Thanks....

We have the exact attic ladder in our garage that you showed in your post. I'll check on it as soon as I get the office open this morning.

Quick Reply: Check your Attic Ladders!